1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Golfers: What's your handicap?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyDan, Apr 13, 2011.

1. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    And how often do you play?

I try to get out at least once a week, but over the last two years I've played less than once a month :eek: ! It's killing me, so this year I've decided to commit to at least once a week again. I'm a 19 handicap, but I don't play slow and I'm a lot of fun to hang out with :D .
  2. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    On avg I play once a week but 4 to 5 times when on Vacation.

Currently my handicap is 4
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    My golf game *rimshot* :D
  5. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
  6. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,250 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    I don't get out nearly enough.

26 handicap. I can spank the driver. I can hit all my irons well. I'm horrible from 75 yards in.
  7. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    PS- I'm a serious 19. No mulligans or rolling the ball over or any of that. I even take 2 strokes on a lost ball, which is BS because Pros have spotters, but whatever. I like to know exactly how good or bad I am. :D
  8. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I shoot 100-105 (not sure the handicap) but I barely play :/ I could seriously improve if I spend a little time on it. Half my problem is dumb mistakes or not playing enough. Like i'll drive the ball 200-250 yds right down the middle of the fairway....the next shot I'll hit the ground behind the ball and the ball will go 20 yds. Just dumb extra shots like that.
  9. CowboyDan

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Par is usually 70, 71 or 72 on most courses you're likely to play. So using your average score, a ballpark estimate of your handicap is 30. (102 - 72)

And you're right, dumb extra shots like that go away with practice and more time spent playing. Muscle memory cures most of that.
  10. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,779 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    My handicap is a 5 I try and play every once in awhile to keep my game sharp. Love playing in the Palm Springs area during the summer. The temps are blazing which keeps the courses relatively empty. Me and my buddies can get through 18 holes in less than 3 hrs.
  11. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    I have 1st tee time every sat morning and the 3 people I play with normally takes 3 to 3.5 hours. That is the way it should be.

One great thing about Houston is I play year round, no winter snow to deal with and the hot temps no problem if you get out early
  12. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    Play by the rules, that is the only way to do it.
  13. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Is sucks a handicap?

I'm around 30.

I play a lot....I just stink. My friend is the golf pro at the course I play at. He tells me my swing looks great. It's the space in between my ears that gets to me.

My practice swings are all picture perfect. But when I go to actually hit the ball, the backswing all feels wrong.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,779 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    I'm a member at Riviera in the Los Angeles area me and my foursome can get through 18 holes in about 3.5 hrs. Everyone in my group is a 10 handicap or better.

The only public courses I play are the resorts in Vegas and in the Palm Springs area. During the summer the heat and prices keeps a lot of people away especially high handicappers.

Not many hackers want to pay $100 plus per round to scuff it around in a 110 degree heat.

The dry desert heat doesn't bother me I hardly sweat a drop it's the humidity I hate and if you live in Houston I'm sure it gets pretty humid during the summer.

Southern Ca is great for year round golf although we have a rainy season that starts in Oct and ends in March.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,737 Messages
    2,408 Likes Received
    I want to play a lot more than I am able to. Because of that my handicap has gone form respectable to laughable. I really don't know where it is any more.

I still say a bad day playing golf is better than a good at work.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,129 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    I agree.

Sorry to interrupt your golfing thread. Carry on.........
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,052 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Some good sticks in here! I do not track my HDCP anymore but when I was playing 1-2 times a week I would shoot 85-95. Avg seemed to be 90-92.
  18. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

596 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Been as low as a +1.2. Currently a 3.4 but that's not even the truth anymore.

I used to be a PGA Professional, but realized I hated cowtowing to rich a-holes, so I quit and got a regular job.

On a respectable course I would imagine I would shoot ~75 or so. Probably wouldn't make a putt.

Being an adult puts a damper on your golf game.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  20. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,457 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    I honestly wish I could build the enthusiasm to enjoy it like some of you folks do. I love the idea of Golf. I used to play once a week and enjoyed discussing golf with friends. The problem is that the actual game just bores the heck out of me. I'm usually completely over it by the sixth hole and want to move on with my day. Maybe I'll try again when I'm at retirement age. :(