1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Good article on the candidates tax plans

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by masomenos, Aug 30, 2008.

1. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/08/29/mccain-obama-taxes-oped-cx_pf_0829ferrara.html

2. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is what makes the election so difficult for me. Like a lot of Americans I think that the economy is the most important during this, and really during most all, election season. Cutting taxes has proven, time and again to be a good way to stimulate the economy and it's McCain's proposals that are most likely to do that.

However, I'm also a social liberal and a lot of my views conflict directly with McCain and, to an even greater extent, Palin. If we see retirements in the Supreme Court (which would mostly likely be from the liberal judges) then a McCain victory could tip the court heavily to the right.

Tricky choice for me.
  3. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How are American corporations supposed to compete? How are they supposed to provide good jobs at good wages while paying tax rates that are two-thirds higher than their competitors, and more?
    :laugh2: :laugh2:

FORTUNE 500

Rank
    U.S. 153 of 500 are American

Most Profitable2007 Profits
    ($ millions)Exxon Mobil$40,610 Royal Dutch Shell$31,331 General Electric$22,208

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2008/full_list/

I think our CORPORATIONS are doing GREAT

Mr. McCain proposes to abolish the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), which was originally adopted as a mechanism to ensure that a small number of the richest Americans pay at least some tax. Because it was never indexed for inflation, today it imposes sharp, surprise tax increases on the middle class in the highest-tax states.

good idea

Mr. McCain also favors the Colombian Free Trade Agreement, which would primarily remove tariffs on American imports into that country, with barriers to Colombian exports in America already almost completely removed under the Andean Trade Preferences Act. Mr. McCain's longstanding support for free trade would also seem to be far better for the economy than Mr. Obama's protectionism.

More of the same. Havent we learned from NAFTA and CAFTA? Flooding the economy with more cheap crap and filling another third world country with what little manufacturing jobs we have.
  4. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,680 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Just depends on what weight you give to what issues. Is social liberalism or economic conservatism more important for you? Does the President's beliefs have a direct effect on social issues? Does he have a direct effect on economic issues?

My opinion is a president always will have more influence on economic issues. Socially he has to 1) have a retirement/resignation from the Supreme Court, 2) appoint a justice, 3) predict exactly how a justice will rule on every issue, and 4) that justice would have to always vote that way no matter the facts/issues.

IMO a President simply cannot predict how a jurist will rule every time. Opinions change as facts do. Every case is different. And you never know when a justice will just say "stare decisis" and punt.
  5. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I would agree that the president typically does have more influence over the economy than social issues. However one of the liberal justices, John Paul Stevens will turn 90 during the second term of this presidency so the odds are greater that he would step down or be forced from the post due to illness or death. Then another liberal justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is the second oldest of the nine.

In all fairness it was Reagan who appointed Stevens so it is possible that McCain could try and maintain balance on the court but in light of his past comments I don't know how likely that would be. And if anything were to happen to McCain and Palin became the President and then she were the one appointing justices then I would feel even less confident of he appointments.

Now, I understand that the choices would have to be confirmed by the Senate and that does alleviate some of my concerns but it is still somewaht worrisome. Also, obviously, those two issues wouldn't be the only things I would base my decision on.
  6. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If fiscal conservatism is important to you, I would think a liberal court is the last thing you would want.

:)
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I don't want a liberal or a conservative court, I'd like it to be as balanced as possible.
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't worry too much about McCain. He's socially moderate (which is why the religious right guys aren't that happy with the nomination). You do have a point with Palin. She seems to be very conservative on social issues. The nomination of Palin was certainly a move to help shore up support from the religious right.
  9. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

504 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am an undecided voter but Obama tax plan would benefit a lot than McCain's plan. At least in the next 4 years, after that who knows.
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The love for the corporate tax never made sense to me. Most of the tax is passed on to the consumer and the rest is absorbed by the corporation. As a result of the amount absorbed by the corporation, the company has a more difficult time competing against foreign companies who pay a lower tax in their countries. The result is that your 401k doesn't make as much money and someone may lose their job in this country. Also, a removal of corporate taxes doesn't mean that the stockholders get to have an investment gains free from taxes. Once they receive dividends, they have to pay capital gains taxes on the amount they receive. Once they sell their stocks, they must pay capital gains taxes on any gain in selling of that stock.

If the liberals believe that they must raise taxes on the rich, increase the top marginal tax rates instead of making it more difficult for companies to operate in this country.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    But which would help the overall economy.