1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Good news from mosley?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Sonny Koufax, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,304 Messages
    2,721 Likes Received
    Throwing this out there just to be devil's advocate. You draft Decastro with 14. Then you start him over the vet signees beside Free. Or do you put him next to Smith who's never played a down at LT? So now you have a rookie at LG and a new guy at LT and worse of all you have him playing next to Costa or whomever.

I say get a good G 2-4 and let him develop for a year. I'll let you decide who to draft at 14. And get a C for God's sake!
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,273 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Didn't DeCastro play RG in college?

Livings played LG last year.

I think that'd be your scenario. Smith-Livings-?-DeCastro-Free
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,872 Messages
    1,659 Likes Received
    If he's drafted and plays G it will be RG.

Livings played LG and he played RG in college.

Seems like a complete no-brainer.

There's zero question he starts over Bernadette and zero competition to start with Livings unless somehow one of the sunk turds among the bunch starts floating and pushes Livings out.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,273 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Link?
  5. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love DeCastro but I think I can easily say Ware is the player I've wanted most since I've been watching the draft, followed by Roy Williams in 2002.

Newman is probably the player I wanted the least.

DeCastro is probably high on that list though. I wanted Dwayne Bowe pretty bad in 2007. 2006 I don't recall being particularly on either side in the Carpenter-Lawson debates but I think I marginally preferred Carpenter but didn't love either.

I like Felix in 2008, Jenkins not so much, I preferred Flowers.

Tyron Smith was my guy last year and I know I did not like Watt. But I think I was ok with trading down too. I wanted Bryant in 2010 pretty bad. DeCastro is probably about tied with how bad I wanted Bryant when he started falling.
  6. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd want him at LG eventually because I'd want that dominant side of the OL.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Didn't Mosley get Felix right or is my memory playing tricks on me again? He's not always clueless on these matters, is he?
  8. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm pulling for David DeCastro at 14 now, and I think his chances have increased dramatically. Mike Mayock stated that some teams think center will be DeCastro's best position in the NFL. This is a game changer, imo. The Cowboys need a center now. If the Cowboys draft DeCastro, I think they will look to play him at center, between the two bigger guards. The Cowboys will probably want their best 5 on the field, and the two new guards should be in the best 5.

DeCastro makes a ton of sense right now. Cox is good as gone, and Barron may very well be gone by 14, too. There should be a big run on interior offensive linemen, and Dallas could get the best at 14 and not have to worry about it.

I'd take DeCastro over Brockers and Poe, and Dallas just might, too.
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Decastro would be pretty sweet to 'settle' for.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He's generally gotten all of them right before last year.
  11. mickswag

mickswag Member

189 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Go to the first page of this thread.
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Works for me... hell, I'd even think hard about trying to trade up from pick 45 to get your center of the future, Peter Konz... if you don't wish to give up draft picks to make that happen (I don't see any way Konz makes it to 45), then target Philip Blake in the 4th...

I know the defense needs help, and I would look to acquire some of that help later in the draft, but to me the quickest path to serious playoff contention lies in upgrading our offensive line... with the skill position players this team has, if you build a dominating offensive line this team will be unstoppable... usually, this would be a 2 or 3 year process, but you've got Tyron Smith already, DeCastro would certainly be another major building block, why not go all in and try to accelerate that process??

Hell, doing that might even help the defense's stats-- the other team can't score if you've got the ball... the more I think about it, the more I think drafting offensive line early is the way to go...

Tyron Smith at left tackle, Nate Livings at left guard... Philip Blake at center... David DeCastro at right guard, Doug Free at right tackle... I think the Boys could put up some good offensive numbers behind that offensive line... that's a big offensive line (almost 320 pounds per man), built to lean on people, but with the exception of Livings, the other four linemen can run pretty well, too...
  13. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    if we take decastro I think it will be for center also where he has the skill set to be very good
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,940 Messages
    3,879 Likes Received
    This is hilarious.

I don't blame the guy for posting a bit of draft misinformation. But there's a difference between posting something you hear, and going in the tank like this. Embarrassing for him.
  15. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Mosley's article is up now. He doesn't think Barron will be there at 14. The Cowboys will not look to trade up or down but will be content to take DeCastro at 14. If DeCastro is not available, Poe will be the pick.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,111 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    It is interesting all this talk about DeCastro going to center. I can kind of see going into the OTA's and they try him out and see. Certainly would strengthen the weakest position on the O line.

DeCastro clearly has all the physical tools to be a Pro Bowl center. And from all accounts he is not only book smark but football smart (which don't always come together)
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,725 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    I think if they got him they would have DeCastro and Bernadeau and see who is better at C or OG and go from there.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,304 Messages
    2,721 Likes Received
    I didn't mean to start a controversy about where Decastro may start. The point was you're counting on putting a rookie next to Costa. I realize many of you think Decastro is the next John Hannah but he's never played a down in the NFL and no one really knows how any rookie is going to play. We don't even know how well the vets we signed will play. All reasons many are harping on finding a center. Perhaps that may be Costa but I'd lay odds he isn't a long term starter here although perhaps I'm wrong.
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I agree with the logic and would add that there's more value on the offensive line where we're picking than defense. Well, at least according to most projections I've seen, although the actual draft may turn out differently.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,488 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    Yep.

And Mosley only changed his stance on Smith the last week before the draft. He had Smith pretty much the whole time before.

Like Coco said, no one really knows who they're taking because the team doesn't even know until the picks before them shake out.