1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goodell possible rule changes in works, kickoff elimination

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Dec 6, 2012.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    :thumbdo:
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    more of this BS about everyone gets an award for participation. Just the same garbage.
  3. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,134 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Leather helmets and no pads like Rugby players. Then they wont stick their heads in there. lol:)
  4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Punt returns are not as dangerous; as we see a lot less people getting injure don them than we do kickoffs.

I not necessarily against the move. Kickoffs are not exciting we have very few go for TD's in any given year and now days most end up in the end zone.

Makes it more interesting and strategy wise it is more appealing
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,963 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    I think that study is pretty flawed. The occurrences of going for it on 4th down are far fewer than the times the ball was punted. Doesn't seem like a good way to get valid data.

I am not sure if this was part of the same study, but I had seen excerpts of one that had based some of their conclusions on data obtained from high school games. That made even less sense to me considering high school football and the NFL are drastically different.
  6. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Mara will be cheerleading it.

:giants:
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really despise this guy. At what point do they just change the name of the game because itis no longer "football"?
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Are there really that many injuries happening on kickoffs to even have this considered? I'd like to see the injury ratio for kickoff returns. I can't imagine it being that much higher than any other play.
  9. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,422 Messages
    1,808 Likes Received
    I read another forum where people were saying this would allow teams to go for it on 4th and 15 a lot more than they go for it now on the onside kickoff, but I don't agree with this. Even if the odds of converting a 4th and 15th were greater than converting an onside kick, the higher risk of not converting would offset the differences. Here is what I mean: If a team goes for it on 4th and 15, they're likely not going to risk throwing it shorter than 15 yards, so if they don't convert it, it will be because of an incomplete pass, giving the opposing team the ball on the 30 yard line, which is already in field goal range. A team kicking an onside kick from the 35 needs to go 10 yards before they can touch it, but it usually goes a few yards beyond that, and onside kicks (successful or not) are usually not returned for any yards--so if the team fails to convert an onside kick, the opposing team usually gets the ball on the 50 yard line, which is not field goal range for any kicker.

So, because of the higher risk of not converting a 4th and 15 from the 30, teams would only go for it when they really needed it, like it is now for the onside kick. I don't see this new rule changing the game or the strategy of the game at all.
  10. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    It's amazing how when John Mara wants to say something Roger Goodell's mouth moves.

That said, at least this new idea is better than the ridiculous state of the kickoff at the moment.

I want it to go back to the old way.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,963 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    I have wondered about that. I do think the severity of the injuries on kickoffs is pretty significant. Of the major neck and spinal injuries that have occurred in the NFL they seem to mostly happen on kickoffs. At least that is the perception I have.
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,380 Likes Received
    So what's to prevent someone from getting hurt on the 4th-and-15 play or punt?

This is stupid. Most kickoffs go out of the end zone anyway, so this change would actually INCREASE injuries.