1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goodell Wants To Eliminate Kickoffs - Floats Novel Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by houstonwhodat, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I do not believe that they are but I have already said that this is my opinion.

As to your owners care opinion, well, they care in that players represent value and investment but I would not take it further then that.

I also don't know that a punt is more interesting then a kickoff.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    It is not exactly the same. I would like to see what the success rate of a fake punt is when you need to make 15 as opposed to what it is when you make an onsides kick.

If you believe it is exactly the same, perhaps you can present the statistical basis to support this?
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    If this rule is adopted, I suspect that the punt team will be anything but Special.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Most kickoffs presently result in a touchback. Nothing interesting about that
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    So, 51% of all kickoffs result in a touchback? Is this what you are saying?
  6. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    it is about 20% for fake kicks at 15 yards.

http://www.drivebyfootball.com/2012/11/to-fake-or-not-to-fake-fourth-down.html

Onside kicks are successful 26% of the time.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/onside-kicks.html

The margin of error for both of these outcomes statistically indistinguishable, mostly because of the small sample sizes involved.
  7. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    It is presently 46% of the total number of kick off attempts. However, that number is deflated by onside kicks. You factor out onside kicks and that # is going to be around 50%.

That is up from about 16% before the rule change.

So half or nearly half of all kickoffs result in a BORING outcome.
  8. houstonwhodat

houstonwhodat Benched

149 Messages
    0 Likes Received

See SB 44, "Ambush".

What would Sean Payton have done if he couldn't have called that onsides kick in the Super Bowl?

It gave the Saints another possession.
  9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The question is how many Kickoff returns end up in TD's (not counting onside kicks)

How many end up getting to the 30 yard line or further.

What I have seen is a lot of guys get 23-25 yard returns and end up at the 22 or 23 because of how deep in the endzone the ball is kicked.

My guess is not very many kickoffs are nothing but snooze fest
  10. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,241 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Move it back to where it was.

Players know what they are getting into when playing a contact sport. My gosh, I think all the lawsuits are dumb. Nobody is forcing them to play.

Eliminating kick off is a dumb idea.

Congrats on trying to make the game safer, but stop changing the damn game. How strict they are about the concussions now is a great thing and will help, along with better equipment. Please for the love of all that is holy stop changing the game with dumb rules.

This rule sounds like something from intramural flag football.
  11. houstonwhodat

houstonwhodat Benched

149 Messages
    0 Likes Received

If the NFL wants to make the game safer they need to get rid of Ndamukong Suh.
  12. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    "Nobody is forcing them to play."

Nobody is forcing you to watch. Go watch MMA or something if you like to see concussions and brain damage.
  13. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Umm, half of them are touchbacks. That's already half the kickoffs out of the pool of interesting.
  14. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I agree. It's about as stupid as the XFL scramble for the ball.
  15. cowboyeric8

5,241 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Exactly no one is forcing them to play.

Yeah and if they keep drastically changing the game I will quit watching.
  16. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    That's a real mature analysis.

The league wants to make sure that fewer players end up with brain damage. You, on the other hand are saying "screw 'em! they know what they are in for."

Why don't we just put them out there without equipment and make them fight real lions or bears or something.
  17. cowboyeric8

5,241 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Okay...that's very drastic and not at all what I said.

They know the risks, it isn't slavery unlike Adrian Peterson's opinion.

I played football, suffered two concussions, broken leg, tore every ligament in my ankle, torn ACL, and a broken jaw. Trust me I know all about the risks. I enjoyed the game and I don't regret a thing. Did I understand I could end up doing permanent damage, yes but to play was worth the risk.

I'm all for making sure the players know what they are getting into and to tell someone if they don't feel right. But many play through it which is what gets them in trouble.

Changing the game isn't the answer.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
  19. AbeBeta

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    The NFL has clear scientific evidence that associate blows to the head with a host of neurological problems later in life (or even immediately as we've seen with guys like Chris Henry). If you can change aspects of the game to reduce these blows to the head, you do so. Kickoffs are where a large number of blows to the head occur. That makes the kickoff a reasonable target for change.

Do you honestly think that if we keep seeing guys with crippling neurological disorders and more and more suicides that the NFL is going to be allowed to simply keep doing what it has been doing?

Smart organizations get ahead of the curve on these issues and make changes before they get forced to.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

34,761 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    That's interesting, I heard that number to be around 38% on ESPN. Did you draw that number from the same link you posted earlier?