1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Goose: As long as Jerry Jones is a 'part-time GM,' Cowboys won't be SB contenders

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,998 Messages
    4,171 Likes Received
    On Jerry Jones appearing in TV ads:

I’ve never seen Ted Thompson do an ad. I’ve never seen Ron Wolf do an ad. I’ve never seen Jerry Reece do an ad. It’s mind-boggling. The Cowboys, if they would focus on being a great football team, they could very easily be a great football team, but the owner’s got so many balls in the air, it’s sad because I think the fans here deserve better and I think the fans nationally deserve better. This is still a team with a very national following. But as long as Jerry’s going to be a part-time GM, it’s going to be a non-competitive Super Bowl team.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...gm-cowboys-won-t-be-super-bowl-contenders.ece

-

Click that link to read Goose's opinion on when Stephen takes over. Which is positive.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,520 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Nothing new. Nothing we don't already know.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,590 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    Wonder what we're supposedly not doing right now due to a lack of attention.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,590 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    Right. We're not winning because the owner did an ad. We all knew that already.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,152 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Thanks Goose.

Guess I'm supposed to pack up now and quit watching right?

Oh well. As usual I'll ignore youre advice and opinion on the subject and continue to enjoy being a Cowboys fan.

Hope that's alright with you.
  6. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Jerry being owner, it's Jerry the GM that bothers me.

The truth to all this though, we all know he won't give up the position. It's like beating a dead horse. Just imagine if Jimmy Johnson never coached this team.

We'd still have no super bowl hardware after Landry. Man do I miss the ol' Cowboy's teams with Landry and Johnson.

You'd think after a decade of one playoff win he'd have it figured out. Depressing.
  7. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I'm gonna burn all my Cowboys memorabilia and quit rooting for the team now since Goose believes we can't contend for a Super bowl because Jerry Jones did a ad or does commercials.

This reminds me of how people use to say Mavericks would never win a championship with Dirk Nowitzki and Mark Cuban lol.
  8. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,129 Messages
    20 Likes Received

you're missing the point. Other teams have GM's that are pros and that is all they do. Jerry splits his time between owner, gm, pr, and salesman. Jack of all trades master of none.
  9. Boys122

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'll admit I find the ad or doing comercials a little ridiculous. That's not what is hurting the team.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,048 Messages
    880 Likes Received

[youtube]i8PinzX6y0g[/youtube]

Thomas Everett, Erik Williams, Charles Haley, Darryl Johnston, and Bill Bates were the players.

Not sure who the young guy at the end was...the one hitching.
  11. Boys122

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Ha, ha, love that commercial.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If all it takes is a TV ad or commercial to make us lose. Then I imagined the Bears team wining the SuperBowl against New England I mean how focused where they when they where too busy making a video before the SuperBowl

[youtube]draiscAGt-k[/youtube]
  13. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Isn't necessarily about a commercial. It is about his lack of attention to detail, honing his skills, and doing what is best for the team. Jerry fails in all of those areas, looking back at hires, drafts, lack of attention to needs, 1 playoff win in 15+ years, demonstrates his failures.
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love how we throw out the one 1 win ignoring we made it to the conference championship twice. Which means we had chances failed to capitalize on the chances but they had their chances.

Made it to the playoffs a respectable amount of times in the 15 years just never got to the SB.

Once again over exaggeration of the how bad the Cowboys have been.
  15. rocyaice

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I get his point. If he wants to say that his job as Owner and GM are conflicting each other than that's fine. Its a very repittive and outdated stance on why this team hasn't had more post season success but whatever. I can understand it. He starts his article off talking about Ted Thompson doesn't do commercials as if that's why we haven't had success. Its ridiculous. And its also ridiculous to assume Jerry is the only one responsible for acquiring talent on this team as the GM. He's not running the show alone. And the last criticism i've heard of this team is its lack of talent. Every year "experts" believe we're one of the most talented teams in the league. What is a GM's responsibility?
  16. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

What?
  17. Kingsmith88

Kingsmith88 Benched

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Only constant since 1996.
  18. Boys122

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'm in agreement that Jerry the GM is hurting this team, I just don't agree that the commercials or ads do.

He can still do that stuff, just hire a GM to manage the team, but I know it won't happen. If his commercials or ads have interference with GM'ing the team then he needs to stop doing it if that's how some of you'll feel.
  19. rocyaice

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Couldn't have said it any better. Cowboys have contended. They simply haven't had post season success. But this team has been put in position to win. Only one team can win a championship a year yet people feel the Cowboys are suppose to win it every season. Spoiled brats. We should expect to win every season don't get me wrong but its unrealistic.
  20. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

26,799 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Fixed.