1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goose not liking the switch to a 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Just my speculation, but I think a lot of folks are way off base in how they plan on utilizing the personnel here. In fact, I suspect that they will not run as much Tampa 2 as people believe since a lot of the personnel actually fits the Pete Carroll/Gus Bradley defense they created up in Seattle.

The Seattle 3 lines up one of the safeties in the box (hello Barry Church), has three pluggers on one side (Ratliff, Hatcher and Crawford), then moves their Leo position out wide or even standing up (DeMarcus Ware).

Seattles DEs Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin run about 6' 3" and weigh in the low to mid 250s. DeMarcus Ware is 6' 4" and weighs in the mid 250s.

I think they need to settle on their SLB in that system and they need a major upgrade over Sensebaugh, but I have a gut feeling that they will be doing something along these lines.
  2. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    SOLBs in a classic 4-3 are seldom physical specimens. They are often 235 pounds or so, the least physically gifted player of the three.

Carter is too fast to want him to play there all the time. But Goose is a weird duck when it comes to his personal evaluation of players and schemes.

That's item one. Item 2 is that if they're wanting a very "Miami" 4-3, your OLBs are converted college strong safeties, as the primary attribute for such a player is speed, and size doesn't matter much.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,208 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    I'll be shocked if Ware and Spencer(if he stays) aren't over 260 when camp opens. Hatcher is already saying he wants to know his position so he knows whether to come in at 285 (DE) or 295 (DT). I would also expect the LBs overall to come in lighter than they have in years past.
  4. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    If your 4-3 coach was Tom Landry, it was about maintaining your gap and your responsibilities regardless. You didn't pursue just because you could.

He replaced Herb Adderley, a HOF CB, with Charlie Waters because Herb playing hunches was too much for Tom.

D-
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,495 Messages
    1,508 Likes Received
    My longtime respect for Goose just took a big hit.

Not only is this a good move with Dallas' personnel, it's an obvious good move.

He's losing it lately.
  6. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,639 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds like Goose might be a poster on here. :D
  7. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,639 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Surely you jest! A powerful media type like the goose, gives the "Jerrys an idiot" army on here a voice, a leader.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,322 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Agreed, now let’s zoom into the new millennium;)
  9. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,143 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    IMO the 4-3 is a better D to the defend the read option (pistol)
  10. pgreptom

pgreptom Well-Known Member

1,459 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Goose is a buffoon. The 4-3 transition was more about stopping the read option IMO. Ware will be fine at DE and I doubt Spencer is kept. The secondary will be the same, and the front 7 will really be the same minus Spencer.

CARTER LEE ?Albright?
    Ware Ratliff Hatcher ?Crawford?
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,263 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    The thing is that I actually followed up by directly emailing him. He replied that same morning and held fast on saying Carter was not qualified to play Will. It blew me away. He also said Ratliff is too old...which may be true but not for certain. It was the Carter comments that I took issue woth
  12. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,839 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Yes we played in a lot of 4 man fronts last year.

Oh and we sucked by the way last year too.

I'm not agreeing with Goose on much of what he said, but I do agree about the DL. I'm not as sold as some that Hatcher and Rat are going to be *good* 4-3 DTs and there is no depth at all behind them.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,395 Likes Received
    I wasn't agreeing with him, just relaying what he said...

And you're being kind calling his evaluations weird. This is a guy who once said Roy Williams should be moved to olb in the 34. :laugh1:
  14. speedkilz88

20,208 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    What he's lost is his GM/scout connections, because that's all he ever had.
  15. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Active Member

353 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    What's the current trade value of Ware?
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,220 Messages
    903 Likes Received

Best words written....I listened to this segment, and Goose was his usail pessimistic hating self....nothing anyone does in the Cowboys organization is done correctly....in the world according to goose.....

He was right on his OL comments, but we all already know that ourselves.
  17. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    421 Likes Received

I paraphrased Mickey's account of the story when he talked about in his show earlier this year.

Another checkmark for junk today, somehow, someway a discussion of Goose's opinions of the 4-3 switch turned into "Jerry is not a qualified GM" argument.
  18. speedkilz88

20,208 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    I want to correct you on it being Goose's opinion. His write-ups are based on a consensus of what GMs and scouts around the league have told him on the players. Goose doesn't know how to scout talent.
  19. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,024 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I don't know if this has been said or not, but...

Championship!
  20. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    421 Likes Received

In the original thread I said that I mis-typed that. I didn't mean to come out as Goose's own scouting report, but rather what he collected from his sources.