1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gosselin: Cowboys can learn two things from 49ers and Seahawks this weekend

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stasheroo, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,134 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    Not arguing any of that. Just saying, let's kick Jerry where it is warranted.
    Not just randomly to the point it makes everyone look silly and in fact even validates him as the same one.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,549 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    Meh. Fix the obvious hole in the pass defense and you guys can take or leave running the ball more. It won't matter as much at that point, anyway.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,134 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    great post IMHO.
    I am not strongly anti-Jerry Jones which would seem to be a pre-requisite here but the truth inside is undeniable.

and you are 100% correct that Goose recycles the crap out of articles.
    As he did with the injury crap where he used a made up "expected" starter status as some tell all metric for injury woes.

The Cowboys problem is we are followers and need to be leaders.
    Instead of emulating the Hawks or 49ers how about we simply plan to beat them??????!!!???
    dogberry and Zordon like this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Here's something else both teams have in common.

A personnel guy named Scot McCloughan.

Coincidence?

According to Jerry it is, I'm sure.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,465 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    One of the best posts I've read in a long time. I agree with every word. Well said.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,077 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Redundant perhaps; not stupid.

As I stated in an earlier post: I agree with Goose that, if the coaching staff is to remain the same, the approach has to change. At least on defense.
  7. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,865 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Actually..

I'd like to see the figures concerning the offense vs. the defense and how the cap looks like that.

Willing to bet its heavily weighted offense..hmmm.

And part of my point is that Jerrah overpays for his players BEFORE they produce.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,236 Messages
    2,962 Likes Received
    been saying this for years now. this is a very reactive organization. jerry jones has been trying to copy the giants for 5 years. he is obsessed with them. every preseason it seems like he mentions them in some regard. i will throw up the next time he mentions "the giants getting hot in the playoffs in 2011".

then a couple of years ago he got a new shiny toy, the niners linebackers:

Then this year, like the psychopath that he is, out of the blue he starts the Peyton Manning love fest, putting 2 weeks worth of unnecessary pressure and media criticism on his quarterback.

what will spark the man's interest this year? the way he jumps from one shiny toy to another is not normal behavior. working for him must be a terrible. never having a philosophy, never having an identity, never having a long-term outlook on things has to be difficult on the scouts particularly. i really feel sorry for them sometimes. it didn't used to be like this. the cowboys used to be innovators. tom landry was an innovator. tex schramm was an innovator. jimmy johnson was a mentor for many young coaches. fast forward to today, can you tell me one thing this franchise was ahead of the curve on in regards to football the last decade? nothing, we have become copy cats. like @theebs said this is what happens when you have business men running a football team. i despise that entire family for what they've done to this franchise.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

643 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    As Tom Landry used to say, "Offense sells tickets and defense wins championships", and we know what Jerry's main concern is.
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,045 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    You're right , they are very good on offense, in spite of Garrett. This offense has all the weapons you could ever want, but they are not used wisely. There is no reason why a defense can eliminate Dez or Witten, (many times in the same game as per Garrett). There's little creativity in getting the play makers the ball. There is no urgency with this offense, even when in the hurry up, they snap the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock. This offense with all the available weapons, should be unstoppable with a creative mind running it. Defenses have figured out the offense, and the play calling tendencies.

The defense is horrendous and will take more than one off season to fix it. You can not expect a bunch of rookies to come in and play like vets from the get go. This is the Cowboys, they draft guys that need 2 or 3 years to develop. I don't see this team going 8-8 next year. Unless the offensive strategies change and becomes an attacking one.
  11. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

508 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Homerun Theebs. Put it in ink in the DMN.
  12. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,077 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Like I've been saying all year and got critisized over and over about it.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

11,811 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    It's as clear as day to me.

1. Develop the running game that seemed to finally work the last 2 games.
    2. Go short-range with passing. (And I don't mean dinky 2-yard passes)
    3. Pressure defense (Again, Kiffie never had a chance with all the injuries).
    4. Special teams (demand the best special teams coaches and players and hire 2 of the best head hunters for kickoffs that you can get)
    5. Retrain Callahan as to when to pass and when to run.
  14. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,658 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    There are times when it sure helps an offense to be able to run the ball, but how well you pass will generally determine how much success you'll have as an offense.

As for defense, you've got the right idea in checking the stats, but you're looking at the wrong stats. Denver and NE were 19th and 26th in yards allowed. Yards don't correlate to winning, scoring does. Denver and NE were 19th and 10th in points per drive, a stat that considers only scores allowed by the defense (not offense or special teams) and compensates for the uneven number of drives each defense faced during the season. So, the Broncos had a slighly below average defense and the Patriots had a top 10 defense.

Points per drive differential gives you a very good idea of how good your team is. Denver's defense ranked 19th, but its offense ranked 1st and was so far ahead of the pack that the Broncos' differential also ranked 1st -- making them the best team. The Patriots' offense ranked 6th, and combined with their 10th-ranked defense, their differential had them ranked as the 7th-best team.

Dallas ranked 4th and 30th for a differential that ranked 17th -- an average team.

1 Denver off 1, def 19
    2 Seattle off 9, def 1
    3 New Orleans off 3, def 8
    4 Carolina off 10, def 2
    5 Cincinnatti off 13, def 3
    6 San Francisco off 12, def 4
    7 New England off 6, def 10

17 Dallas off 4th, def 30th
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,959 Messages
    4,131 Likes Received
    Whenever I see Percy debating with a member on here I imagine him grabbing the other guy's hands and playing the "quit hitting yourself!" game with him.
    Apollo Creed likes this.
  16. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,658 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Winicki's right about passing being more important, though. I'm just trying to get people to stop attaching meaning to yardage stats.
  17. ccb04

ccb04 Member

187 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    In addition to the coaching aspect...defensively in particular, the Cowboys simply lack the talent of the 49'ers or Seahawks. The 49'ers have a truly dominant LB'ing unit, and are solid on all 3 levels. Seattle has the best secondary in the league, improved their pass rush via free agency, and also have solid young LB's like Wagner.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,545 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    Those teams have great rushing games because they both have QBs who went for over 500 yards. I don't see what we can learn from that really.

Now what they do on D and how the seem to bully offenses, that I like
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,147 Messages
    799 Likes Received
    Dallas' total defense ranked dead last by a large margin.
    Scoring defense was not far behind.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,467 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Dynamite analysis, Goose. I'm sure you got this in before your deadline.

YR