1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Government Auto Auctions

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Teren_Kanan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,652 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Anyone have experience with these? I'm searching for a car and I've heard amazing things about these. Wondering if anyone has any tips or advice.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,315 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    We have them here at Harris County. Drug dealers will get their cars confiscated and sold at auction. Not sure I want to be driving around in a drug dealer’s car though. :laugh2:
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You should probably get a new paint job real quick if you do.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Be extra weary if you get pulled over for speeding by a police officer who has a drug dog as a partner. :laugh2:
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,982 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Check the gas tank...you might wind up buying yourself a car full of drugs. :p:
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,315 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    I would be more concerned with rival drug dealer with a grudge to settle. :laugh2:
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Don't do it. Most of these cars have been treated like crap throughout their lives, have no service records, etc. You have no idea where they've been. Best to not take the chance.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Not true. We have state auctions here all of the time. We sell some very nice equipment that is 3-4 years old because that is our rollover policy. Most of ours are passenger trucks, vans and semi tractors w/ trailors. We sometimes sell fire trucks and giant graters w/ snowplow attachments.

What else do we surplus for auction...hmm

Boats

Boat Motors

Skiffs

We once auctioned off the state dairy w/ all of its equipment. That was a CHORE omg.

Some very nice computers-monitors-laptops-filers-cisco equipment

Not all auctions are bad and not everything in them is junk. You can find some very nice things in an auction if you know what to look for.
  9. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Ok, yeah, you are talking about niche market type stuff there. Snowplows, Skiffs, semis, etc.

Whereas I think the poster is looking for a regular 'ol passenger automobile. A lot of the stuff you find at auction are fleet cars or cars that were renters in a past life. Driven by who knows how many people and treated like god knows what.
  10. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,387 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    The car dealers outbid you on all the good cars.
    Save yourself some time.