1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Grade The Cowboys Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, May 1, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    What letter grade would you give the Cowboys Draft?
  2. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Solid meat and potatoes. B+. Landing Peterson would have kicked it to an A, or a somewhat lopsided trade in our favor.
  3. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,752 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Solid B! I think I'm about the only one who likes the Chapas kid!
  4. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'll vote in about 3-4 years on how good the draft was. I was happy with the first 2 picks. And the Arkin pick. But, who knows how any of these guys will turn out. I really, really hope that when free agency starts up we are able to do something about the Safeties.

I am also concerned that our Defense was 2nd to last in points allowed & 23rd in yardage allowed last year, yet we only drafted 2 defensive players.
  5. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    B from me. I'm really excited about Smith, Carter and Harris. I'm still scratching my head about Murray.....not because of his talent, but because I was hoping for a defensive pick. I thought they got good value at every pick. I was sad to see Casey Matthews end up with the Eagles...I was really hoping we would snag him....love that kid's lineage.
  6. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    I give it a B based on the potential some of the picks have

I could see 4 starters coming out of this group
  7. beevomav

beevomav Active Member

274 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Smith = Columbo gone
    Carter = Brookings gone or role reduced
    Murry = Barber gone and Choice's 3rd down play gone
    Arkin = depth in Oline..more toys for Hudson
    Thomas = one of the DB spares may be gone
    Harris = Kevin Martin clone according to Goose Gosselin
    Chapas = best blocking FB in college..
    Nagy = could be our starting center in two years..

This from Goose Gosselin:

The Cowboys had a superb third day of this draft. Harris is a Kelvin Martin clone and the arrival of Arkin and Nagy will help Smith make the offensive line deeper and more competitive. Murray can solve a running back riddle.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,212 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    solid but not sexy. many "fans" didn't get a recogized name late in the draft so the blow off our later pics. i think RB *will be* a position of need so we filled it. we also concentrated on the OL and that's a wonderful thing.

B+
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    Same grade.

Yes, if last year was a "special teams" draft, this was the "meat and potatoes" draft.
  10. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dunno, I don't see Carter or Murray as starters, more like specialty guys for most of their careers.

I give it a B- but if Arkin starts within a couple of years it would be a B+ or even A depending on Tyron.
  11. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe they hit with the 1st, 2nd , 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th round picks.
  12. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

773 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Draft gets a C. If useing free agency completes the draft. We need safety and d-line and maybe a starting guard. Aren't we already the team with the highest payroll ? And now because free agency comes after the draft, we will get into a biddingwar for players. Average draft, that may pay dividends a few years down the road, when we needed it to pay dividends now.
  13. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I agree, gotta give it a C+ only because Carter probably wont start this season, Murray wont start because it sounds like hes a specialty guy at least for this season. I dont think Harris can take over the #3 WR spot, but looks like a good slot player. Arkin, Nagy and Thomas have potential. So really we got one immediate starter on a team with more than one hole. As far as drafting on potential/value, we did very well and this draft very well could end up being an A but not right now from what I have read and heard.
  14. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    Grade: B

Points assigned to each pick

06.00 Tyron Smith (2, 2, 1, 1.00 pts)*
    05.00 Bruce Carter (2, 1, 1, 1.00 pts)*
    04.00 DeMarco Murray (2, 0, 1, 1.00 pts)*
    04.75 David Arkin (1, 2, 1, 0.75 pts)*
    02.75 Josh Thomas (1, 1, 0, 0.75 pts)*
    02.75 Dwayne Harris (2, 0, 0, 0.75 pts)*
    00.00 Shaun Chapas (0, 0, 0, 0.00 pts)*
    00.00 Bill Nagy (0, 0, 0, 0.00 pts)*
    25.25 Total / 8 Picks = 3.16 or B

* Points System Legend (Need, Grade, Top 100, Mentionable pts)
    Need: Biggest Team Need (3 pts), Starter Needed (2 pts), Depth Needed (1 pt), Position Supplemented (0 pts) - based upon http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/team-needs/
    Grade: Draft grade greater than 6.0 (2 pts), 4.0-5.9 (1 pt), less than 3.9 (0 pts) - based upon NFL.com draft "expert" numbers http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-grade-input:4
    Top 100: On Gosselin's annual list (1 pt), not on his list (0 pts)
    Mentionables: Draftees listed on three of the top five draft lists averaged over the past five years (1.00 pt), on 2 of 3 lists (0.75 pts), on 1 of 3 lists (0.50 pts), on 0 of 3 lists (0.00 pts) - based on TheHuddleReport.com Top 200 (subscription), DraftCountdown.com Top 254 http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/TOP.php and ScoutsNotebook.com Top 100 http://scoutsnotebook.com/modules.php?name=top100_1011
    Arbitrary point system created by myself :)

Top 100 Big Board Scores: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/top100scoring.shtml
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I give them a B
  16. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,974 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I have to say A for the first day, C for the next two days.
  17. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received

B- Only because of Tyron. Carter when gets completely healthy and maybe it will be for training camp, but what iv'e seen he is good. He is a well spoken man too, appears to be a good kid. Barber and Choice need to go and if they do it's good. Let's end the three backs because the never actually made it work. Murray is good , it was not expected but he is a good 3rd down back and picks up blitz on P/P. The rest of draft was ho-hum for me. The first three are quality, and people will be surprised with Carter.
  18. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I'm a day late, but my grade would have been an A.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    B-. I like the draft in general, and particularly that they targeted Offensive line, but i was disappointed in no significant help in the defensive backfield.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,805 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I'd have to say C. I like that we took OLs and I think that Smith has talent but I don't like the fact that we took a lot of guys that have an injury history.

I don't like the Murray pick. I think we could have gone else where there and gotten better value.

All in all, this grade could improve dramatically if all the players taken have no issues with existing injuries moving forward.