1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Grantland: The Cowboys have built the leagues best OL, but at what cost?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Section444, Jul 18, 2014.

1. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I agree, it seem as if we can only fine quality OL via first rounders. After flo, Gurode became stale we was unable to find a quality OL since free via middle rounds...who has his days. But then other teams find them easily. So what is this team problem finding talent on the OL?
  2. ehcrossing

ehcrossing Fan Zone Supporter

858 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    Everybody is really jumping the gun about this oline. They were improved last season and if Zach Martin is all he's hyped up to be then this unit will certainly be improved and be the strength of this team. Best line in the NFL taps the brakes please. The youth and talent is certainly encouraging.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,780 Messages
    6,562 Likes Received
    In regards to Centers, I believe that they are definitely worth 1st round picks and I'm surprised that they don't go even higher in the 1st. Quality Centers rarely if ever become available in Free Agency.

Guards are questionable because there are quality free agent Guards available almost every year. Obviously, taking an OT in the 1st is higher value than taking a Guard; however the trade-off is that you'll never get the best OT at #16 but you can get the best Guard.
  4. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,792 Messages
    2,418 Likes Received
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...an-do-to-avoid-2013-s-draft-day-confusion.ece

It's clear that the 'new coaches', aka Marinelli and Kiffen, never wanted Floyd. Tom and Garrett, who were chatting it up, obviously expected Floyd. The comical thing is that Floyd was a 3-4 guy and the defensive coaches were hired in January, so the fact that there was a disconnect between our defensive coaches and our gurus in front-office and Garrett is utterly comical.

The reality is, Frederik was not a Garret move.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  5. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,515 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    One can't pull out an apple from a fruit pile and declare that now an orange.

Jason was working on a team saving offensive line, from the moment that he inherited the team from Wade Phillips. That combination, Phillips/over the hill gang, went out of vogue together. But Jason and his staff, even as it was upgraded, was on issue from the start of change there.
  6. xwalker

14,780 Messages
    6,562 Likes Received
    Jerry said in an interview that he had been operating on the premise that you don't need to draft OL in the first round because the great OLines of the Super Bowl years were not 1st rounders. He admitted that his stance on this issue has changed. Jerry doesn't change his attitude on this type of thing without somebody continuously pushing for it too happen. My guess is that Garrett is the primary guy that has encouraged Jerry to change his thinking in regards to 1st round OLinemen.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,515 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    Good observation, X...and Jerry also had ideas of linebackers easily being replaced in a draft, so he wouldn't pay them over a $1 million to play.
  8. xwalker

14,780 Messages
    6,562 Likes Received
    Yes, Jimmy had said that LBs were the easiest players to replace in his 4-3 defense; however, it was a bit of an odd statement because Jimmy used a 1st on Robert Jones and a 2nd on Darrin Smith and Dixon Edwards. Ken Norton was one of the first Jerry era players to leave because of money.
  9. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,792 Messages
    2,418 Likes Received
    Oh really, because per Garrett they always take the BPA and that's been his motto everyday since who knows. And Floyd was the BPA per the draft boards. And Garrett and Tom, who was the head scout, looked totally confused when Jerry over-ruled Garrett to take Frederick. You guys would spin any good move to Garrett, despite the evidence contradicting it.

I mean, "You Got New Coaches in the Room" doesn't get any clearer... The move was all Marinelli and Kiffen, i.e. we don't want Floyd, which led to Jerry going after Frederik, who was worked out by Callahan. It's obvious Jerry took Callahan's advice on Travis and took our defensive coaches on Floyd and Tom and Jason were expecting Floyd.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  10. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

4,015 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    2013 they wanted Frederick and wanted to fix the center position. in that regard he was not the BPA falling to us.

This year Martin was a fall back plan if we could not get Barr or the DT taken before him. In that regard Martin was the BPA that fell to us.

Both of our last 2 first round picks have been good the last couple years regardless. But make no mistake, Frederick was targeted.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,144 Messages
    1,998 Likes Received
    From what I have heard, which may be wrong, they did exactly the opposite of sticking to the board. I believe they had Floyd rated higher than Frederick, and Manziel rated higher than Martin.
  12. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

584 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    You might be right.

I wasn't sure after Jerry's comments whether Manziel was ever a serious consideration once draft time rolled around. So he may have been ranked with no intention to take him (unless it was for crazy value such as in the second round).

Even if Floyd was rated higher than Frederick--a pretty safe bet by the way--if they trade back and he is no longer there for the taking at pick #30, then they didn't technically pass on Floyd to pick Frederick.

At any rate, I cannot fault this organization for taking O-linemen in the first round. I will save my criticisms for the debacle that was the 2012 first round.
  13. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

584 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    It was my understanding that even though Frederick was targeted (I believe they wanted him in the second) that by the time their pick came at #30 he was the last player available on their board who they had a first round grade on.
  14. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,491 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    We moved up to get our "new" Demarcus this year indicating that we thought Lawrence was a first round talent. Additionally, the Cowboys purportedly had a first round grade om Lawrence. Lawrence may validate that evaluation, or prove it wrong, but we threw first round resources at Lawrence in an attempt to fill the position.
  15. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,491 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Actually we didn't have a first round grade on Freddie. Jones called him the "Last Of The Mohicans" or the last offensive line guy available that year that they thought could plug in and start year 1 and actually fill that position acceptably. It turned out that the "reach" wasn't actually a "reach" at all.
    Idgit likes this.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,809 Messages
    8,616 Likes Received
    Clearly, they were set on an interior lineman if one of those five were available. I still think they probably reached relative to their own board (which is the only definition of reach that matters), but at least it was a comfortable one that paid off.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,024 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    Fredbeard was the last of the mohicans- the way the OL were flying off the board only a moron would have waited if you wanted one of the top group.
  18. xwalker

14,780 Messages
    6,562 Likes Received
    Sticking to the board does not mean that a team never trades down. Once they traded down, Fred was the BPA at that pick.

The basic purpose of trades is to match BPA to need.
    daveferr33 likes this.
  19. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

765 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    So let me get this straight; we finally have Rooks, Knights and Bishops that can kill and protect the King and that's a bad thing in ANY respect? Uhmmm, yeah ok *** clown.
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,744 Messages
    2,665 Likes Received
    What encourages me is the potential for the team to give Free a hand on the outside and not sacrifice the interior line as it is getting shoved around like Daniel-san on the beach.

[IMG]

If the Zach Attack is all he is hyped to be, and Free can manage to seal the outside, this changes things drastically for the offense. The blitz then has a back who is focused on picking it up and not getting caught in helpside for one of the OLmen.