1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Graziano: More important Cowboy: Dez or DeMarco?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    Jun 26
    10:40
    AM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com
    On "NFL Live," Tim Hasselbeck and Darren Woodson debated the question: Which player is more important to the 2013 success of the Dallas Cowboys? Wide receiver Dez Bryant or running back DeMarco Murray? Both of them picked Murray, and I think I agree.

As you know if you read me regularly, I think Bryant is coming into his own as an absolute monster and will continue to develop as one of the top wide receivers in the NFL. I think he'll continue to be Tony Romo's favorite target and put up huge numbers in the Cowboys' passing game. But as Tim and Darren both assert in the clip there, a healthy and productive Murray would help everyone else on the offense. He'd help the offensive line. He'd help Romo. He'd probably help Bryant be even more fantastic than he was over the second half of last season.

Can the Cowboys score points if Murray is in and out of the lineup again due to injury?

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/pos...nt-dallas-cowboy-dez-bryant-or-demarco-murray
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    A healthy productive Murray running for 1200-1300 yards would be infinitely more helpful in terms of team success than Dez gaining 1500-1600 yards next season (as opposed to Dez's numbers remaining the same from last season).
  3. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

548 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    If our offensive line can give murray the holes to run through it will almost guarantee the production of all of our receivers especially Dez. Not knowing who to cover will really leave the defense wondering. Problem is, if we cant establish a running game, it will make covering our receivers much easier. The biggest problem with our running game was that Garrett wouldnt stick with it. even when it was working. I personally think Dez is going to be the best receiver in the league this season barring injury and hoping that romo isnt planted on his rear every 3 plays like last season.
  4. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,361 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    DeMarco, because we've got a lot of talented wide receivers. If DeMarco Murray can't stay healthy, we can't run, and it's hard to win games.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Randall was drafted for a reason.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Depends on whether or not Randle proves to be a good back. If he is, then its Dez, and I dont think its even close.

I like Murray, but Dez is still the most explosive player on this team. Lose him, and defenses dont really have anybody that they have to key on. Plus, we are going to throw the ball a ton this year. I dont think we would have invested in Romo and the 12 personnel if we werent going to.
  7. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,258 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    Yes that is a trick question. Our WRs have proven they can have GREAT seasons with ZERO offensive line help. Romo covers for the OL and gets the ball to the WR even though the OL fails on most plays. A healthy RB NEEDS the OL to beat their man in order to be successful. So even if Murray is healthy and ready to rumble, he probably won't do well if the OL fails again. My vote goes to Dez, any RB can avg 3.2 yards per play behind a bad OL, whether healthy or not.
  8. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Dez. Cause WR's are more important than RB's in today's NFL.

Look at Green Bay.
  9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,964 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Without a running game we are going to be throwing into cover-2, cover-3 and cover-4 zones all day. Our offense is based around an ability to throw downfield, but you need the defense to give you the ability.
  10. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    I think Demarco is replaceable, Dez isn´t, the problem for the Cowboys was the offensive line, this is not a shot on Demarco because I think he is a good RB, but IMO with a good OL Randle could have comparable numbers to Demarco and no WR on this team and not many in the league could replace Dez´s.
    Erik_H likes this.
  11. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    Without a good running game it will be more stats and the same 8-8 record. This team needs balance.
  12. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    But that is not the question being asked? Of course we need balance, without a good running game we´ll be looking at 8-8 for a 3rd straight season, saying that IMO Demarco is way more replaceable than Dez.
    If we don´t fix the oline issues we are doomed no matter who the RB is.
  13. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    Murray is replaceable but either he or Randle has got to have a good year. I don't think Murray is more important than Dez in the grand scheme of things. But I think having a good running game will only make Dez better.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    Since running the ball more effectively is less likely to help us win games, give me the passing game matchup nightmare, please.
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,662 Messages
    2,790 Likes Received
    The article says Murray because, "Without Murray, they trend too predictable and don't offer variety."

But really, until the OL can get push in the red zone (or we scheme our way to some rushing TD), we'll continue to be predictable in that part of the field -- with or without Murray. I think the correct answer is Bryant, but that could change with better red zone running.

The Cowboys are 11-11 when Dez scores a TD, and 6-0 when Murray scores a TD.
  16. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,499 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    Great stat, Percy. I never knew that.
  17. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    Agreed
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    If you ask who is the better player? Dez, easily
    If you ask whowould be harder to replace? Dez, by far

But if you ask who would help the team more by having a monster season? It is Murray.
    BIGWAY, PA Cowboy Fan and percyhoward like this.
  19. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,708 Messages
    730 Likes Received
    Give me Demarco for 16+ games please.
  20. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    As an accent on this debate, I remember reading about which of the triplets was more important to the Cowboys. The W/L record was far worse when Irvin was out. The Cowboys did better with him on the field and either Aikman or Emmitt out.

I'd have to go with Dez, because I don't trust Miles to stay healthy. With both of them injured, we'd be in real unknown territory. Guess we'd see exactly how well that multi-TE offense would do.