1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Graziano: Would Cowboys go 4-3 for cap reasons?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,057 Likes Received
    Jan 9
    11:29
    AM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

First thing I want to say is this: If the Dallas Cowboys fired defensive coordinator Rob Ryan because they wanted to switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense and they don't already have Ryan's successor lined up, I think they're nuts. I don't think you decide as an organization to switch to a 4-3 and then decide you're just going to go out and hire the best 4-3 guy you can find to run it. Not all 4-3s are created equal, and I think the better way is to find the coordinator you like and involve him in the process of making the switch, right from the start. So my first thought here is that, if the head coach and/or owner have decided to make this switch, Cowboys fans should hope they've already been in touch with whoever's going to be in charge of actually implementing it.

But you know, there were performance-based reasons to fire Ryan if that's what they wanted to do, and obviously teams don't always operate with common sense as their guiding principle, so it's possible that Jerry Jones and/or Jason Garrett have decided to go to a 4-3 without thinking it through to that extent. I actually think it's possible that they're doing it for economic reasons. John Clayton has the Cowboys projected $18.2 million over the salary cap, which means there are a lot of people on the current defense who don't fit into the budget. Switching to a 4-3 could help that.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/48098/would-cowboys-go-4-3-for-cap-reasons
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,687 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    I think this take makes a lot of sense.
  3. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,178 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    ..sense.

It will be easier to do a 4-3 financially as long as you will be able to bring in some existing talent in FA and get it going without ballooning the cap.

Then rebuild with some shrewd drafting in mid to later rounds to get some healthy DL and LBers in there for the needed packages and rotation.

I'm all for it. Wish we'd never changed but Zimmer at the time was getting owned as DC back in the day.

Whatever.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS :starspin
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    4-3 DEs cost the same as 3-4 OLBs. And 4-3 DTs are more expensive than 3-4 DEs.

Not sure that cost is the driving reason to implement the scheme change. Production and personnel I can understand, but not cost.
  5. cowboyz

cowboyz Well-Known Member

1,737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    the defense is still missing a nt, whether its a 34 or 43.

someone has to take 2 blockers. And push the pocket. I don't think lissemore is that guy. They basically did a 4-3 with Crawford, lissemore, Hatcher and ware when Spencer dropped back.

but I think it does allow for Crawford to go to end and pick up a cheap OBP, rather than keep Spencer at an expensive price.

why pay a guy that much if he's not going to rush the passer that much.