1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Greatest Cowboy of them all

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CowboyMark, Apr 1, 2006.

1. CowboyMark

CowboyMark New Member

436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If I had grown up in the 60's I would probaly say Bob Lilly. If I grew up in the 70's then more than likely say Staubach. I grew up in the 90's and I would love to say Emmitt Smith. But my heart will always go to Tom Landry. For 29 years no cowboy was more famous, legendary, and revered then he was. The only cowboy to have a statue in front of Texas Stadium. That alone deserves my vote. Who do you think is the greatest cowboy of them all?
  2. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Without Landry there wouldn't have been a multiple offense...the "up down" of the linemen before the snap...the Flex...etc.

Landry WAS the Cowboys for three decades.

So, that's my vote. :)
  3. mymaveric

mymaveric New Member

5 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotta go with Emmitt. The greatest player on one of the greatest teams ever. :bow:
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Roger Staubach was the greatest Cowboy IMO. Landry was great, no question but I think the mantle goes to a player. Tex Schramm certainly did a number of great things in his own right. You can make the case that if it were not for Schramm, Roselle and maybe Hunt, there would be no NFL.

I don't know, to me, it will always be Roger. If not for him, we don't win all the games we did in the 70s. Coach Landry probably gets fired and our franchise does not become the NFL cornerstone it is today.
  5. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This was hard for me cuz I love Tom and Roger the same, but without Tom there wouldn't have been a Dallas Cowboys. Roger was a very, very close second.

Tom and Roger were, are and always will be the best ever
  6. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I voted for Lilly.

I love Roger, but I think Landry would have said that "Mr. Cowboy" was the franchise's best player. He called Lilly "something more than great."

And I think it should be a player, not a coach.
  7. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,236 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    I too voted for Roger. Great competitor, always in it till the last second of every game.
  8. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bob Lilly= first draft pick.....first Cowboy in the Hall of Fame!!
  9. Payton34Smith22

Payton34Smith22 Active Member

1,454 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  10. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,070 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When I think of the Dallas Cowboys, my first thought is the star and the second is Roger Staubach. He, to me, is the ultimate Cowboy. I liked Tom Landry of course, but Staubach will always be my favorite.
  11. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I voted other .
    Troy was and is my Fav Cowboy of all time and he won 3 SBs more than Roger and more than landry
  12. DWelch1775

DWelch1775 Couch Warmer

440 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Emmit Smith, awesome player on the field, even better off the field.