1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Guaranteed(?) First Round Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 14, 2013.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Most of what I do in regards to the draft is compile rankings and compare them throughout the year. I remember someone asking last year what a big board from Kiper/McShay looked like in September.

Throughout the fall, I have been keeping track of both of their big boards - Kiper has 25, McShay has 35 players that they rank week by week on a pretty consistent basis (with the exception of October 24th, Bowl Season and January 9th/10th). I only took the rankings when both guys had players listed. Thanks to Risen Star for posting it for everyone to see who doesn't have an insider.

So, these are players that have been ranked in Kiper's Top 25 and McShay's Top 35 since September 12th. I did not do this last year, so I couldn't tell you the players that were spit out (I might do it if I have time).

I just wanted to look at some 'guaranteed' players that have been ranked up there all year long.

1. Star Lotulelei
    2. Jarvis Jones
    3. Manti Te'o
    4. Luke Joeckel
    5. Chance Warmack
    6. Barkevious Mingo
    7. Alec Ogletree
    8. Jonathan Cooper
    9. Johnathan Hankins
    10. Dee Milliner
    11. Sylvester Williams
    12. John Jenkins
    13. Sam Montgomery
    14. Geno Smith
    15. Justin Hunter
    16. Corey Lemonier
    17. Kawaan Short
    18. Keenan Allen
    19. Matt Barkley
    Obviously, guys like Damontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Sheldon Richardson, Dion Jordan, Eric Fisher, ETC. are missing, but with 19 players and all of which would help the Cowboys tremendously, especially in the trenches, they are in a good position as it stands right now.

Guys that were really close but missed a week were Kenny Vacarro and Robert Woods. I know this isn't perfect science, but there is something to be said for consistency.
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Great stuff, as usual.

Who do you think are the best 3-technique DTs in this draft?
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I try to post them when both Kiper and McShay update it. I believe Mel updated his last week but McShay didn't.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'll bite before the OP can:

Sheldon Richardson is basically a Nick Fairley clone. I'd take him over Sharrif, but it's one of the few places this draft is deep. There are 3rd and 4th round guys you could plug into a rotation fairly early.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Wow, maybe we're lucky and this is the year to actually switch to the 43?

And it's also a pretty good Safety class as I understand.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Thanks.

I think if we can get 1-2 DL and a Safety, we should be ok on defense.
  7. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Well, people are broadly understating the depth of this class. It's a weak first round, but defensive tackles, defensive backs, quarterbacks and offensive linemen are reasonably deep.

Not much to complain about for Cowboys fans there.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Hey Robert

Could you tag you thread on this last year.
    Just curious how it went.
  9. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    For me:

Tier 1

Sheldon Richardson

Tier 2

Sylvester Williams
    Kawann Short

Tier 3

Bennie Logan
    Jessie Williams
    Sharrif Floyd

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Sheldon Richardson is so far ahead of every DT in regards to quickness and disruptive ability, but I don't think the Cowboys would view him as a RKG. I know both Williams and Short don't possess prototypical size, but they have produced in college. Floyd is built like a 3-technique, but I haven't seen much from him to be honest.

I need to do some more research on the later round guys and people that we haven't talked about much

Everett Dawkins and Josh Downs (go to 2:30 in the video) are two that I am interested in looking into more.
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I didn't do this thread last year. I was able to pull Kiper's big boards, but can not find McShay's for some reason. If I could find McShay's I would do it.
  11. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    who's opinion do you listen to more? well i guess the correct thing to say is which of the two's opinion do you respect more? Kiper or McShay?
  12. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received

have you taken a look at Akeem Spence from Illinois yet ?
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    NP

I was just curious, becasue I recall a few surprises last year...for almost all of us.
  14. Risen Star

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Kiper. But I have a ton of respect for any of these guys who make a living studying the prospects. They can devote much more time than I can. I have to lean on their opinions on a lot of guys. Especially the small school prospects.

I try to do what Robert's doing. Get a consensus. I think that's pretty smart. Don't take anybody's rankings as right. Combine them all and average it out. Then maybe tweak those new rankings with your own opinions on players you've seen enough of. It's the best you can do.
  15. Risen Star

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Yeah but then Romo enters another season without an offensive line.
  16. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Thats exactly what I do. I take about 4 different sources and average them out. Then make my own minor adjustments. Just gotta be careful whose rankings you use, some people are way out there.
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Not yet. Should I?
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,553 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Not necessarily.

It isn't impossible that a guard or center in the third round can't make a difference, and it's also possible that Parnell turns into a solid tackle.
  19. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received

I cant find the quote now. but he is a smaller undersized DT. The quote I saw said he was this years Geno Atkins (from the Bengals) thats what caught my eye, about 6'1" and 300lbs. Could be had in about the 4th rd. I was wondering what others thought.
  20. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Watched his tape against Ohio State. Got through 4 minutes and was so unbelievably underwhelmed. About to watch the last 4 minutes.