1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gulf of Mexico Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by xout, Apr 30, 2010.

1. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, the oil rig that blew up last week is leaking 5,000 barrels a day now (210,000 gallons). It also may not be able to be stopped or fixed for a few weeks. That could easily eclipse the 11 million gallons that spilled due to Valdez 20 years ago.

This has the potential to be the most devastating ecological disaster our country has seen in quite sometime, possibly ever.

Not to mention the economic ramifications. The fishing industry and tourist industry to name a few are going to be hit hard. Hell, we may have to cancel our vacation in Panama City Beach (we rented a beach house) if the leak isn't contained by August.

Here's the latest video update from Yahoo via Fox News.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/oil-spill-could-reach-coast-within-hours-19390299
  2. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,618 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Horrible. Let's all remember that nothing like this has happened in quite some time, it was an accident. With that said let's pray that they contain it soon.
  3. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,097 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Where are the oil eating enzymes?
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Clearly something went very wrong. There has not been a spill like that from an oil rig in many years.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'd like to know why it's taken them so long to try and do something about it.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,465 Messages
    3,743 Likes Received
    Oh man I know the answer to that. But I shouldn't go there. :D
  7. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It seems like it always takes some major disaster for people to pull their heads out of their *****.

9/11, Hurricane Katrina, this...
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,979 Messages
    2,177 Likes Received
    How is the head up their **** on this? They have been dealing with in since the explosion occurred and still doing everything they can to limit any damage to the coast line
  9. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they should have been ready for something like this, and they didn't realize how bad it was until it was too late. Now they're screwed.
  10. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Accidents happen folks.

This isn't the first oil spill and it won't be the last.

And like usual, when a disaster happens, the folks in charge of the recovery learn a little more on how to prevent it from happening next time.
  11. Doomsday101

75,979 Messages
    2,177 Likes Received
    They do have crews trained and ready for these types of events no doubt they made errors on a 3rd leak they did not detect right away and high winds in the gulf are not making the matter any easier. They are looking to do a controlled burn off of some of the oil at the rig site and still attempting to cap off this well as a secondary well is put in place. I wish everything could always be perfect but it is not.
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,477 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    Yep..

:hammer:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,507 Messages
    3,779 Likes Received
    You are a sexy man and I like to way you roll.

I might have to subscribe to your news letter.
  14. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  15. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What a sad tragedy this is turning out to be. Adversely impacting so many. It is a real shame.
  16. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    its called opportunity for some folks and they are going to use it for their agendas and some people are just going to be concerned for others well beings.

we'll do the same thing with this as we do with other diasters, prevail and learn from it.
  17. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Seems like we always learn the hard way.
  18. Doomsday101

75,979 Messages
    2,177 Likes Received
    There is no easy way to learn. The people who do these jobs are highly qualified and these companies like BP are always looking for better ways to do the job.
  19. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well pretty soon Exxon will no longer have the biggest **** up when it comes to oil spills.

Congratulations BP.

[IMG]
  20. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't know who's fault it is, but I know who to blame. :laugh1: