1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hanna, not Escobar, works as second TE with starters

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Jul 21, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    OXNARD, Calif. – Second-round pick Gavin Escobar won’t just be given a starting job despite the Cowboys’ plan to use two-tight sets as their base offense.

Escobar, the 47th overall pick, will have to beat out James Hanna.

Hanna, a sixth-round pick in 2012 whose playing time increased late in his rookie season, worked with the starters during Sunday’s walkthrough to open up training camp.

“Oh, it’s going to be competitive,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “It’s going to be competitive throughout our football team as to who makes our team and who plays and what their roles are. It’s no different at the tight end position.

“We really like James Hanna. We drafted him and his progress and development over the course of last year was unbelievable. He just got better and better and better before our eyes. As you guys remember, we used him a lot towards the end of the year and he really became a little bit of a mismatch player for us in certain situations. So we like what he’s all about, what he’s done, his development, his growth.”

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Han...tm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Dallas-Cowboys
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    Despite holes elsewhere, I had no problem with the Escobar pick. I believe in drafting your board. I think he will be a player and makes an impact this year.
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    That sounds about right. Escobar is a rookie! Of course he is not going to get a starting job, but I bet he will contribute if or when he gets the chance.
  4. Heelsboy

Heelsboy Well-Known Member

234 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    Really it is no surprise Hanna is starting over Escobar since he has been in the system for a year.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm a big Hanna fan. Hanna is beastly.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,434 Messages
    2,130 Likes Received
    Shouldn't be shocking. Hannah's probably out there just to keep things moving. No need to start off TC by having to teach someone every step of the way.

I would imagine that Escobar will get more increasing amounts of time over the course of TC.
    Erik_H likes this.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,751 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    me too,we have to utilize his speed.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  8. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Because of the Escobar pick, the coaching staff can be truly confident in installing a base 12 without worrying about having to scrape the formation due to an injury to one of the TEs. That's important.
    Afigueroa22, fffiasco and Teague31 like this.
  9. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

937 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    If you believe in drafting your board than Terrance Williams should have been the pick instead of Escobar. The pick already sucks. Instead of drafting a true guard who most likely would have ended up starting from day one we drafted our number 3 tight end. I applaud Jason and Jerry for once again over evaluating tight ends and for neglecting the oline once again.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,425 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received
    I can't believe we wasted another second round pick.
  11. fffiasco

fffiasco Active Member

752 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    yup sean lee and bruce carter are big wastes too.
  12. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,273 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    This. If you want to run two TE as your base offense you better have more than two guys
    fffiasco likes this.
  13. Heelsboy

Heelsboy Well-Known Member

234 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    Well then you should be doubly proud that we got both Escobar and Williams! ;)

How is drafting a center in the first round after that historical run on lineman neglecting the line? If Costa can play center and Frederick plays guard then we have the possibility of having our best 5 on the field.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    There is no bigger critic of Jerry GM than me on these boards. I think Escobar will be a player, people keep forgetting how many miles Witten has on him, and how lucky he has been to avoid injuries. This offense would come to a dead woe stop without a similar player if Witten goes down.
  15. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    How do you know it is a waste without seeing him play yet! Come on man!
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,425 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received
    Man, if he's not starting by day one of his first camp... there is no hope for him.

Total waste.
  17. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    OK, now you are just being totally unrealistic. This is only day one, dude!
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,425 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received
    *check your sarcasm meter*

Something like this usually doesn't get by you bro. It is only the first day though.
  19. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Pretty sure he's joking. At least, I hope.
  20. HanD

HanD Member

856 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Once again over evaluating TEs? How many TEs has jg drafted in the first five founds as head coach?