1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Harrison Smith FS/SS Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Marktui, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    There are probably more athletic and faster safeties in the country, but if he is there in the 3rd or 4th round he could be worth a look.

He is 6'2'' 215lbs, a fifth year senior. The lone Captain last year for the Irish. Started as a linebacker his sophomore year and converted to safety his junior and senior seasons.

This is from Wes Bunting:
    Those same instincts show up well in the pass game, as he's a bit of a ball hawk who has the ability to routinely get early jumps on the football. Exhibits impressive instincts, which routinely allows him to get early jumps on the football and put himself around the play. Looks a bit tight in his drop, causing him to get upright and he will get elongated/overextended with his footwork when looking to click and close, losing a bit out of his breaks. However, he's consistently moving toward the action before any defender and, once he collects himself, has a better closing burst than given credit for. Lacks great straight-line speed, but looks like a 4.55 guy who plays faster because of instincts.

Another draft site also mentioned his instinct and feel for the game. This is the type of guy that can play special teams right away and will not bust assignments. There are probably highly rated DB's in the class, but what I like is that the kid has a high football IQ.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    Sounds good to me.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Liked him as a college player, but he doesn't have the athleticism, let alone speed, to be an impactful safety in the NFL.

And I think his "instincts" are greatly improved by being a 5th year senior. Some of that has to be that you've just seen everything at the college game.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,613 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    Not good enough for us. And that is from the #1 Irish homer here
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    Too big and slow for what the Cowboys need.

They need a guy like 6'1, 205, who can run a less than 4.5 forty.

A guy 6'2, 220 is going to be eaten alive in coverage unless he's an athletic freak and a 4.55 forty time doesn't sound like he is.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I'd like to see how he does at the combine, I almost put him in one of my mocks but they have him rated as a 3rd - 4th rounder and I could justify it at that point.
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    Check out this stat line...

5-10, 206, 4.38

Those are Polamalu's numbers coming out of college.

I'll take one of those for the Cowboys please.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,659 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Markelle Martin will have some interesting Combine numbers.
  9. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I would like to see the combine numbers for him. But what stuck out most about him is that he has a high football IQ and will not bust assignments. Bunting also noted that he has good instincts and can dissect plays quickly. He may not be the athletic freak like some of the other top safeties coming out but being able to sniff out a play while it develops can make up for the 4.55 time he runs in the forty.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    The challenge is that you get these guys that are that height and they're long striders who take a lot of time to change direction.

I guess we'll see what the combine brings.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,306 Messages
    4,842 Likes Received
    A 4.55 forty is not a deal killer for a safety that will be drafted in the later rounds.

Kam Chancellor ran a 4.62 forty at the combine and a 4.59 at his pro-day. He was selected as a first alternate to the Pro Bowl this year.

Some people want Barry Church to start, but he ran a 4.69 at the combine.
  12. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,083 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Ditto. He was a decent college player. I don't see him being more than a special teams player in the NFL.
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    Chancellor played well, no doubt, but these 6'2+ 220lb safeties scare me to death with their inability to cover. In many instances they simply don't have the "turn & run" ability to be decent cover guys. And then with the long legs it takes them longer to get up to speed.

To me cover ability should be first and foremost and then the ability to help via the running game. Dallas has gone the other direction and it's resulted in a bunch of safeties who can't cover.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    You know we only have 1 1st rd pick right? :laugh2:
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think this goes along with playing safeties that are borderline slow . Have you noticed that most of the safeties are just a step slow ? This whole defense needs speed .
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,613 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    I thought I was the #1 Irish Homer on the Zone but you got me beat.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  18. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Love, love this player. IMO Smith has better football instincts and playmaking ability than the more heralded Te'o (and I am a Te'o fan from way back). Smith has great anticipation and first step towards the ball.

This time of the year, Joe fan becomes obsessively enamored with 40 times and lifts, heights and weights. Give me the football player.