1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has anyone else noticed how bad Witten has played?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysBravesSpurs, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    If Escobar played like, say, Jordan Reed, I doubt many people would have a problem with it.
    khiladi likes this.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,890 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Witten has been slowing down for a while now. We all know this some just don't want to believe I guess. The FO sees it. So they get a Witten replacement.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Jordan is 6'2" 240, he has played well but I will take the bigger target as a prospect everyday and twice on Sunday with the new rules.

As I said over and over again, this team could've drafted any position on the roster and been justified with the pick. Last year we needed youth at every position group, and guess what, we need it this year also. It is wide open cause we need talent everywhere, regardless of position.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    You'd take Escobar even after seeing them both play? Really?
    khiladi and birdwells1 like this.
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Escobar is much more of a project, but I still believe his upside is higher.
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,644 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I didn't think he looked bad. He's been playing with a safety over the top and when Romo does get it to him its usually something behind him or his ankles.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  7. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Witten and ware both need to go.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,173 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    He'd probably just throw it to him on the sideline because he's open.
    khiladi likes this.
  9. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,046 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    Remember opening night in NY last season when Witten had the spleen injury? He wasn't going to play but at the last minute he did for decoy purposes only. That game appeared to be what a game would look like w/o Witten. Our offense looked really good, Romo spreading the ball out, etc. IMO, that was the last pure, flawless game this team has had. Romo didn't have Jason to rely on and the offense opened up. Receivers even ran nice routes and the predictability wasn't as obvious, to me anyways. It looked like a real, competent offense.

I want that back but don't want to see Witten go. He just needs to be reduced to decoy mode with the occasional movement of the chains and blocking purposes. I still think this offense will look better if Witten is Romo's last read or or an occasional safety valve.
    birdwells1 likes this.
  10. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,045 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Two or 3? If that's the case he might not end his career in Dallas.
  11. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

675 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    He is doing a great job harnessing Dez
  12. DallasCowboysRule!

DallasCowboysRule! Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Unfortunately it seems both Witten and Ware's best days are behind them. It happens to everyone and I'll still remember them as the great Cowboys they were but it's time to get younger. Not certain Escobar can fill that void but I won't give up on a guy in his first year.

But there we have it, boys and girls. We have successfully squandered the career of a Hall of Fame tight end and pass rusher and are on our way to squandering the career of a franchise caliber quarterback. I've started to see signs of age in Tony as well, as much as it hurts me to say it. Hopefully it's just a funk he is in.
  13. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,290 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    He is sadly correct about this .
  14. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,921 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Looked good against a 1-win team and looked average/bad against 1-loss team. At this point, Dallas should try starting Escobar or working him in more just to see what they got. It seems Dallas is waiting for the ideal situation. Well, at 5-5, ideal left the station 3 games ago.
  15. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    he is on pace for 75 catches and is 4th in the nfl among tightends.he is also 5th in yards for te's, and is tied for 6th in td's. perception and reality are two different things
    big dog cowboy and WoodysGirl like this.
  16. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

1,874 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Witten cannot get any slower as he gets older. He was always slow.

Witten looks bad because the whole offense looks bad. Plus Romo seems to throw a bad pass to him about 70% of the time. If Romo throw a pass to him and he is open and it falls at his feet is that somehow his fault because he is older?
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  17. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Yeah Witten's best days are behind him.

Love the guy, but it's time we move on from guys like him and Ware
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

3,634 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    We'll miss Jason when he's gone.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,559 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    Jason had a couple of inexcusable drops this week. That's about all I've noticed. He otherwise is as immobile and wily and sure handed as he's always been.
    Remember last season when posters were quick to jump on his slow start. This is what happens as players get older. Fans starting lining up to take their names in the CZ Family Death Pool. Once enough fans have your name, you're fair game for unfair criticism until that point where your skills actually do diminish enough that you're off the team, and then everybody who got your name early gets to gloat.

Then, you go somewhere else like Terrance Newman did and play for a couple more seasons at a high level because you actually had some significant room to go on your career curve at the right price and the right number of snaps.
    Airbag and percyhoward like this.
  20. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Member

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've noticed Witten dropping balls in more than a couple of games this year. Just saying