1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hatin on Deion?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by NewEraCowboy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. NewEraCowboy

NewEraCowboy Member

143 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    ive never understood the hatred towards deion sanders. He was the greatest corner of all time; as well as the greatest self promoter of all time.

Deion has always been my favorite player along with Troy Aikman, and I had dreamed of him being a cowboy for the longest time and it made my dream come true as a 5th grader back in 95. Believe it or not but he's truly one of the greats of the NFL. The charisma he brought to the nfl has yet to be matched by anyone in the current generation of players.

Anyways i posted this just because i dont get why Deion is hated so much when he brought so much to our team not only on defense, but offense and special teams as well. Oh and by the way he did steal about 15 mill in signing bonus from snyder :bow:
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    My biggest problem with Deion was he would never tackle anyone. Jimmy Johnson calls him huggy bear for a reason. He'd let the wr catch the ball then hug him until help came.

And he never made that big of a difference on offense.
  3. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Its the outspoken, flashy, charasmatic players that provoke the strongest reactions from fans, especially if they are tops at their positions. No one really hates Freddy Mitchell even though he had a mouth cause you could just say, "yeah but he sucks" so it was comical to watch him boast and brag. But the players that are great and draw attention to themselves evoke either love or hatred, their can be no middle ground for them.

I always liked sanders, i think a lot of people got upset when he went public with his faith cause they thought he should act and behave differntly and he remained a show boater that came off a little self absorbed.
  4. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    yeah, but his coverage skills were so good he didnt have to tackle much, unless your expecting him to play the run. My tacklings not great, but if you put me in man coverage, most guys wont catch a single pass on me, or if they do im right on them with a horse collar :D. But to tackle a back head on, well im doing the huggy bear thing too.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that's the only qualm you have with Deion? wow
  6. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I personally loved the guy as soon as he got here. Otherwise I didnt really care except for the year he wont hte superbowl with teh 49ers. Flashy guys are fine with me as long as they back it up on the field. Chad Johnson is one of my favorites, he talks a lot but he keeps it clean and backs it up.
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ^^yep, how can you hate some who walks the walk and talks the talk?
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I just remember seeing him make a "business decision" aka step aside too many times when a rb ran his way. Also the toe surgery a week before TC began urked me. He had all off season to get it fixed but waited until before TC.

And the qb's being scared of Deion is not entirely true. I remember Aikman having great games vs Deion.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    No one made a living running at Deion ...... if he was such a bad tackler, why didnt someone take advantage of that?
  10. NewEraCowboy

NewEraCowboy Member

143 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i agree but i just dont see how cowboy fans in particular can dislike a former cowboy who gave 5 valuable years of service to our team. Not only that but he also came to help out our corners for a couple of years during campos final, and parcells first year during training camp.
  11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I think that's bull....Deon wasn't a hitter, but most of his coaches actually called him a good tackler...I never saw him miss a tackle...he was too athletic....he'd wrap a guy up high or take him at the ankles.

But Deon was a champion and played like one...he never let a runner go by him...he got the job done, or every team would have simply handed off to his side every play. IN his heyday, QB's refused to even try a throw to his side of the field, not just because the guys weren't open, but because they were afraid he always had a better chance than the WR of scoring a td on any pass.

He may certainly have been one of the best punt returners ever as well...I've never seen a game like the one when the Giants were punting 3 times late in the game and punted 20-25 yard short punts out of bounds just to avoid any chance of a mistake that Deon might get his hands on the ball.

Again, Deon wasn't a hitter and he didn't come up looking for contact like some of the more physical cbs, but I NEVER saw him let a RB go and seldom saw him miss a tackle.

Deon is one of the few CBs in history that would actually have thrived in today's game with the new rules...he often let receivers get some separation on purpose just to entice the younger QBs into thinking they were open and throwing it his way...next thing you know, he was running the other way with his famous high step and hand behind the head.
  12. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,164 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Deion is my fav player of all time hence the sig
  13. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,447 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    This one of the myths that got repeated and repeated, and combined with many people's hatred of Deion for his flashiness, became a "fact".
    Deion certainly wasn't a physical, head-hunting kind of player. But to say he couldn't or wouldn't tackle is just ignorant of what he actually did on the field.
    I recall numerous occasions where Deion came up and made textbook open field tackles on running backs trying to turn the corner while playing for Dallas.
    Funny thing was, the myth was in such full force while he was in Dallas the commentators usually never commented on his good tackles.
    And if you ever get a chance to see him play in college on espn classic you will likely see him making nice open field tackles. I have.
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I think its probably the flashy, self promotion that a lot of people both like and dislike.

The thing that always bothered me about Deion was when he'd pull up lame after being beat only to dramatically return to the game moments later. I think it was a playoff game vs. the Cards that this happened more than once.

He career dropped off significantly after that IMO. The Redskins years, the Ravens years....he should have retired.

He was a great corner, a dynamic punt returner, but he always seemed like a "me" guy instead of a team guy.
  15. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dieon Sanders is one of my favorite players of all time. He can be over the top alot, but he always backed up what he said.

Just a very charismatic guy that has a personality, like Irvin, that makes it really hard to like.

I remember watching his Beyond the Glory bio on Fox Sports Southwest. In highschool he was playing a basketball game and some of the fans yelled out some racists words to him. He just started scoring a whole bunch of points and being a showman and eventually even won those guys over with his personality.

Gawd, I wish I could see those old dallas commercials with him and Jerry Jones again.....the good old days....

- Mike G.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,116 Messages
    3,140 Likes Received
    I like Deion because I saw him do something I consider very cool.

Christmas 1995, the game where Emmitt broke the single season rushing TD record. Yeah, the Jerry McGuire game too.

Deion was getting people to sign footballs and then giving them to kids in the wheelchair sections behind the Cowboys bench.

Not just any players either.

Emmitt
    Troy
    Michael
    Darren

I liked him before that for his play on the field. That just cemented him in my mind as a good person.

His image isn't the same as what is in his heart.
  17. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. That's cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Best corner and one of the best punt returners ever. And by far the coolest end zone celebration ever.
  18. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

3,101 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    anyone who hates on deion i hate on them.thats just how it goes.lol

thats my HOMIEEEEEEEEE! i dont care what anybody say!
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have not got a chance to meet this guy but from what I hear, he is one of hte nicest guys you would ever want to me.

- Mike G.
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,116 Messages
    3,140 Likes Received
    I have never heard a negative thing said about him by a teamate or an opponent. Just fans or media who don't like his image.