1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

HC candidate X: Back to Back .500 Seasons, Only Prev Exp Is QB Coach: Do you hire him

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    5,658 Likes Received
    I think you're one of few. I believe Jason gets a lot of leeway from fans and Jerry b/c of his ties to the glory years. Some, myself included, romanticized about a former player returning and bringing some stability to the head coaching position. When I look at Jason Garrett I see a failed head coach but I also still see the 1994 Thanksgiving Game and the Glory Years. To my fault, I cannot separate the two at times.
  2. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,278 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    This is priceless. If JG was fired today, no one would hire him as an OC, let alone a HC. I could see him getting a job as QB coach and even then that would be a gift since I can't think of one QB he helped develop. Even Baltimore feels like they dodged a bullet when JG turned the job down.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    I don't look at his playing days at all.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,023 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Bull ....
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,642 Messages
    2,180 Likes Received
    fact^^

no way he gets a HC job this year
    he would be lucky to get an OC job
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received

You're not alone.

I've seen plenty of fans with the same sense of fondness and nostalgia and I've seen how it overrides the reality of what is actually happening.
  7. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    The absolute truth.

For anyone to think that he would be scooped up like some 'hot commodity' is laughable.

If he were fired today, I would have serious doubts that he would ever be a head coach again, much less have it happen immediately.
  8. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A mediocre team woo hoo. Get ya popcorn ready
  9. Hostile

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    One of the biggest Jason Garrett fans in the NFL...Bill Belichick. Per Tedy Bruschi. Take that for what it is worth.

Upset fans are simply wrong about him and this will be proven.
  10. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

839 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Wow, the Garrett koolaid drinkers here seem to see something in Garrett that is just based on hope and wishful thinking. Although I would love it if he was that boy genius we all thought, there is no evidence from his past of any success or even hint of success at the coaching level, YET.

I think Jerry saw Garrett as the next Sean Payton---but Payton had actually 8 years asst in the college ranks and then 7 years assistant in the NFL before he even got the Saints job. Garrett is no where close to that and is coaching already, little wonder why he is not up for the job. He is learning right now and wasting away our best player's careers as we speak.

Well hopefully we'll find our QB in the 2020 draft so that Garrett can kick off his training wheels and put his incredibly high football IQ into play and start assembling the team of the 20's . Hopefully some of us will be around to enjoy it, and this is why Jerry is getting cold feet right about now.
  11. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,026 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Does he have red hair?
  12. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Unless Belichick would be stepping down as head coach?

Not a whole lot.

And since McDaniels has decided to stay as offensive coordinator, he wouldn;t even get that job.

Two seasons of 8-8 says those 'upset fans' are the ones who are right.

So far, all tangible, measurable evidence points in the direction of the 'upset fans'.
  13. Hostile

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    I wasn't telling you he'd be headed to New England.
  14. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Fair enough.

But not much point in mentioning Belichick as a fan if he wouldn't be giving the (hypothetically) out-of-work Garrett a job.

If he's not doing that, he's not that big of a fan.

I firmly believe that if the NFL world saw Jerry Jones get rid of his hand-picked, hand-groomed guy, there is no way anyone would hire him to be their head coach.
  15. Hostile

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    It was about perspective.
  16. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    But again, how much of a factor is that perspective when it does not bear tangible results (as in a job)?

I can say "I'm a big fan of (insert coach here)", and not mean it.

Jerry Jones can fire Garrett and say what "an admirer of his work" he is at the very same press conference.

He'd still be fired.
  17. Hostile

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    You can believe in Santa Claus too if you wish stash. I'm telling you the guy is considered one of the best young HCs in the NFL and is respected by the NFL guys we all respect. Process that information however you wish. If you want to put more stock in Ed Werder by all means go ahead. I can't stop you.
  18. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    And if you want to see the intangible over the tangible, I can't stop you either.

You see what you want to and what you hope for with this guy, not what is.

It clouds your judgement.

Look no further than your current sig line for proof.
  19. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,588 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I'm sure Belichick was also a big fan of Romeo Crennel and Josh McDaniels when they were hired as head coaches too. Doesn't mean a damn thing at all.
  20. Hostile

118,898 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    My current sig line is because I lost a bet with another poster. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my judgment, frame of mind, or any other wild imaginations. If anyone thinks that is my mindset they've lost their freaking mind.

I saw Aikman was going to be a stud in 1989. I saw Jimmy Johnson making the same types of changes Garrett is and said we'd be relevant again in 4 years. He proved me wrong and made it in 3. Won a Super Bowl in 4 and 5.

That was seeing intangibles over tangible.

So I'll take my cloudy judgment and know that I tend to see what is possible if patience is adhered to while growing. I said 2 years ago we'd be relevant again in 2013.

I believe the Draft and Free Agency will once again address the needs, but this time it will focus on the Offense.