1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Heads Up!: Garrett's on with Norm (Live!)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by marchetta, May 16, 2011.

1. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Garrett will be on with Norm today @ 11:30 CST on "1310 The Ticket." I'll try to give a recap, but no promises.
  2. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Here's the recap...

Q) Jason's 45, and cowboys 8th HC. He's played for 3 of the previous 7 HCs, assisted with Wade Philips, and has Campo on his staff. Do you think you'll bring back BP to complete the cycle?

A) You never know. lol

Q) How close were you to taking the Baltimore/Atlanta HC jobs?

A) Those were the two which went furthest in the interview/hire process. A couple days after the playoff loss, I spent a couple of days in Baltimore/Atlanta before deciding to stay in Dallas.

Q) Why stay in Dallas?

A) A number of reasons. You make emotional decisions with your heart and gut. I appreciated being asked to interview with Balt/Atl, but the memories of the 90's makes this a special place. Probably the most important my feelings for the Cowboy organization, and the disappointment of having such a great year and losing in the 1st round of playoffs made me want to come back.

Q) Garrett comes from a football family father/brother. He's spent 15 years in pro football. When did you develop the mindset that you were going to be a coach?
    A) I tried to do as much as I could to make my dream of becoming a coach a reality. But, before deciding to be a coach I tried to be the best qb I could be. However, at some point reality sets in. If I had a nickle every time someone (player/coach) would ask me, "When are you going to give up on the qb dream, and go into coaching." But, I wanted to try being a QB as long as possible, but then reality set in and I moved into coaching.

Q) Garrett has 8 brothers and sisters all born in 8-9 year span. Wow, you do the math. lol. All your sibilings have college degrees. Were there "Garrett rules" in your home growing up. You know, stuff the kids could/couldn't do?

A) Yes. Parents instilled in us how you should talk to people, and interact with them. To have respect for others.

Q) Is this what you instill in your players?

A) Yes. You have to communicate. You have to have structure. When you have those expectations of your players, the players appreciate it. But, the coaches have to live by those standards, in order for the players to buy into it.

Q) There were draft rumors that the Cowboys wanted to move back up into the 1st rd to get Ingram. And, that Dallas also liked Williams (Virgina Tech RB) who went ahead of the Murray pick. Any truth to the rumors, and is the Murrah pick a Garrett pick?

A) We wanted talented players that play the right way. Those players you mentioned are those types of players, as well as others. When you take a guy, you always look at how it affect other pieces of your team. You always keep that in mind. But you start out by getting the right kind of player, and take it from there.

Q) Garrett holds Princeton completion record. Are there any pics of you with a large bushy red afro? lol

A) Yeah, they exist. lol. But we've tried to destroy as many as possible. Just imagine, our school colors were black and orange. So, here's a redhead kid wearing a black and orange uniform with a big bushy red afro. lol.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,906 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    That is a great interview.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Thanks for the recap!
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,004 Messages
    5,042 Likes Received
    Thanks.

Side note: I still think Garrett will put several solid drafts together (like the last one) and keeps the Cowboys in contention for many years.
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Man Red is awesome! This is the stuff that WILL translate into wins. Thanks for the recap.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    I'm glad he says all the right things. I'll be happier if he does all the right things and we end up winning again.
  8. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Q) There were draft rumors that the Cowboys wanted to move back up into the 1st rd to get Ingram. And, that Dallas also liked Williams (Virgina Tech RB) who went ahead of the Murray pick. Any truth to the rumors, and is the Murrah pick a Garrett pick?

A) We wanted talented players that play the right way. Those players you mentioned are those types of players, as well as others. When you take a guy, you always look at how it affect other pieces of your team. You always keep that in mind. But you start out by getting the right kind of player, and take it from there.

And this is just one of God knows how many examples we've had in 8 months.

He's like a machine. Unyielding. It makes no difference what loaded question you ask, you will NEVER get an off-color answer. No controversy.
  9. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:

I totally agree. I can not understand all the premature comparisons to Landry I keep reading. But here's hoping for all that's worth.:eek::
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Exactly right.

I just heard an interview highlight he die with the Sirius Blitz and Adam Schein.

Schein asked if Garrett thinks the Cowboys will return to the playoffs in 2001 and he deftly pulled out his 'Be Great Today' mantra.
  11. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Woah there, where are all these people you are talking about? 2-3 people on a message board don't count as "all" these comparisons. I have seen maybe few comparisons to Jimmy more than I have seen any to Landry. Jimmy is understandable, as in, he seems to be a big Jimmy desciple, so people hope that he might be another Jimmy.

I personally happen to think he is his own person, and I have high hopes for him and about him. I am big believer, but that doesn't mean he will be great here, till he proves himself obviously. But I have very few doubts, as long enough talent is there, Garrett's team wont underachieve too many times.

He is not going to be a miracle worker. All a fan can ask his, get as much as possible of the talent available. Thats the biggest hope one can have in Garrett.