1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help, GM Mock!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 20, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Jumped in on a GM mock at another board.

This draft just flipped on Dallas IMO

1. IND-Andrew Luck
    2. WAS-Robert Griffin III
    3. MIN-Matt Kalil
    4. CLE-Trent Richardson
    5. TB-Morris Claiborne
    6. STL-Fletcher Cox
    7. JAX-Melvin Ingram
    8. MIA-Ryan Tannehill
    9. CAR-Dontari Poe
    10. BUF-Mark Barron
    11. KC-Michael Brockers
    12. SEA-Quinton Coples
    13. ARZ-Justin Blackmon

14. DAL-

DeCastro
    Whitney
    Upshaw

No trades in this one.....

This might be a worst case scenario if Dallas is not sold on taking a OG early and can't find a dance partner.

Is this trule a David DeCastro or trade down scenario?
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    It's not sexy, but I go with Decastro as BPA, which is how I think it may actually turn out given the late rise of Barron.
  3. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I'd take Gilmore. He is still there and could arguably help the secondary more than anyone left. Him or Decastro. Guess you could reach for Hightower......I like him alot.

Can't believe Blackmon fell that far. I have to believe MIA would take him if available.
  4. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Absolutely the worst case scenario for Dallas! If no trade partner could be established I'd be ok with Mercilus or Decastro. I don't want Upshaw anywhere near this football team.

I get the feeling from the people I talk to that the Cowboys are just hoping one of Ingram, Cox, or Barron fall to them. If it doesn't play out like that, it'll be very interesting to see what we do.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I'd have a very hard time passing on DeCastro. I love Mercilus but I'm not sure how I feel about him at #14.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,666 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    DeCastro. Next.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm also the Bills GM in this Mock because of my ties there. The Barron selection was not done lightly. I have gotten some news that makes that pick a VERY real possibility.

The Bills have no issues making the Controversial pick, they have always been a wild card. It remind me of 2006 when they took Whitner at 8. They love to take DB's early and have sworn this off season will continue to be about making the defense better.

They have a need at safety and it seems they have set their sights on Barron.
  8. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Biggest problem with Gilmore is that he doesn't fit our scheme. He's an off man corner in the Newman mold. Ryan really wants CBs who excel at press coverage like Carr and Jenkins. It's always a gamble when you're picking a player that you have no tape of them doing what they will be doing in your scheme. I've heard his name come up often from fans and such, but every time I sit down and watch him play, I come away with the feeling he would be a much better fit a zone/bend don't break scheme.
  9. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    .....Gilmore plays press pretty well. He does have a few tendencies that need to be coached out of him. He can play either scheme because he is athletic enough to flip his hips. In my mind he fits Ryans scheme very well. Projection is always needed in drafting.

I think you get that feeling he will fit in zone because he really likes to look into the backfield. Not something I picked up when watching him until it was brought to my attention. If he can cut down on that and play within the scheme and called play, ( so get coached up) he will be a very solid corner.
  10. Sonny Koufax

Sonny Koufax Member

238 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    :bow: DeCastro and don't look back.
  11. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeCastro

I'd start him at center. At a minimum, he's starts at one of the guards.

Upshaw is tempting, because I don't want the Cowboys giving Spencer a lucrative contract. Paying Spencer $ 8.8 million to play one year is bad enough.

However, DeCastro is the cleaner player.
  12. dgr81

dgr81 Member

439 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    tannehill
  13. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    If you cant trade like you said buddy, then you take the best player on your board at 14. that would be decastro. However, after saying that, I might rather want to trade down, get a 3rd and draft whitney or upshaw. I am hearing that upshaw may fall pretty hard, late in the lower first round or into 2nd round.
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,174 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    If the absolute worst case scenario for Dallas this year is to get DeCastro at 14, I'd consider us in a pretty enviable position.
  15. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,350 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    You screwed us over by having Buffalo take Barron, bruh. The Bills have way bigger needs than safety.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'm glad I'm reading this stuff so I can resign myself ahead of time that Barron won't be there at 14.

Some flippantly say you can just move DeCastro to center, but the learning curve is steep enough for a rookie being asked to play as a Day 1 starter without asking him to move to a position he's never played as well. Not to mention a position that is typically responsible for the line calls. Bernadeau has never played regular season snaps at center and reportedly looked bad playing the position when the Panthers tried him there in preseason. You're probably looking at another year of Costa at center.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    He played center in high school, but got moved in college.

I would rather have Barron in this particular draft, but if that doesn't happen, DeCastro would be a nice secondary prize.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Oh, I'm sorry, he played center in high school. Yeah, then there wouldn't be much adjustment at all.
  19. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Exactly what I was thinking...would go far in solidifying the OL for a decade
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Go with DeCastro as BPA.