1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Help reading WD external HD on Macbook and Windows computers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jobberone, Jun 30, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

48,404 Messages
    10,710 Likes Received
    Ok, I put some files on an OWC 1.36TB external HD I use on my iMac (at home in the states) and I'm in China and I need to get to those files. Actually I'd like to copy them from the OWC HD formatted in Mac OS extended to another external HD. I can read the OWC on the Macbook G4 I brought with me running on 10.4.11 but obviously I can't read the OWC on my Win7 laptop. I thought I had formatted the OWC with either NTFS or FAT32 but nope I screwed that up.

I have an empty WD 1TB external HD I can use to dump the files from the OWC to but I can't get the Macbook with 10.4.11 to recognize the drive formatted with NTFS, FAT32 (64KB) or (32KB), or extFAT. I thought 10.4 would read and write to FAT32. What am I doing wrong? I can read and write to the WD drive find connected USB to my Win7 laptop BTW.

Thanks.

2. The Fonz

The Fonz Correctamundo

1,425 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    jobberone likes this.
  3. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,352 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Are you able to get to any Mac machines that have a virtual environment with Win 7 installed?

Access the drive through a virtual environment and copy to the new drive.

jobberone likes this.
  4. jobberone

48,404 Messages
    10,710 Likes Received
    answer one is I don't think so; almost assuredly not. Answer 2 is what the heck is it, Edgar? **MIB**

5. kapolani

1,352 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    I have Macs and Window boxes at home.

On one of my Macs I need to access window's applications.

I have a program - Parallels - that allows me to run an instance of Windows 7 at the same time. In a nutshell, it creates a 'virtual environment' that is suitable to run Windows concurrently while running OS X.

I just 'attach' my usb drive to the Win7 instance or vice versa depending on what file system I want to get to.

6. jobberone

48,404 Messages
    10,710 Likes Received
    Thanks. Will try both.

7. kapolani

1,352 Messages
    213 Likes Received