1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hey Marinelli, What did you say?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ologan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Cowboysfan1975

Cowboysfan1975 Member

100 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    So we are supposed to have starters backing up spencer, ware, hatcher and rat?

I agree dl isnt a strength, but imo its because of injuries, not lack of talent.

Having said that, they should have never counted on rat returning to form. Yes they should have addressed the dl in the off season, but the money they in hindsight, flushed down the john on Spencer, prevented that.
  2. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    If you've seen Bull Durham, I think you know what he called him...
    CowboyGil likes this.
  3. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,339 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    I love how the DL (and Jerry by extension) is getting slammed when 1) there isn't a DL in NFL history that wouldn't suffer if 5 of their top 6-7 players on that unit got hurt, and 2) OUR BACKUP DL DID A GREAT JOB LAST NIGHT ANYWAYS!!!!!!!

I'm guessing a few of you slammed the DL/Jerry in the preseason and thought, "Hey, this is my chance to say 'I told you so!'"

But in reality, if anything, you've been proven wrong. That kind of pressure on RG3 even without Ware, Spencer, or Ratliff out there??? Sure looks like that unit would be a strength if it were healthy.
  4. Cowboysfan1975

Cowboysfan1975 Member

100 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    That was my point. The D line isnt a strength, but they wold have been with Ware, Spence, Rat and a good back up Crawford
    Nav22 likes this.
  5. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,339 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    The backups sure played like they were a strength last night. Wilbur's strip-sack clinched the win.
  6. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Whatever it say it more often:D
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    Marinelli quickly apologized for penalty, but Garrett likes the passion of the defensive line coach

“He’s a stand-up guy,” Garrett said. “As soon as the flag happened, he turned to me and apologized. But if everybody brings it like Rod Marinelli brings it, we’ve got a really good chance of being a good football team.”

Garrett described what happened like this:

“He had a short conversation with the official on the play that Hatcher got the sack,” Garrett said. “I think initially, they ruled it that the quarterback had thrown the ball away, and I think we all saw that his knee was down, and I think Rod was just trying to let the official know that, and I guess the official didn’t like how he said it.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...f-the-defensive-line-coach.html#storylink=cpy
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Once again, you should not declare your DL as a strength when you've got absolutely zero depth. The DL is supposed to have a rotation of players and if two injuries sends you scrambling and scouring the streets for new starters then it was never a strength to begin with. Ware, Hatcher, Spencer and Crawford were the only players worth a flip when TC started and that's giving Crawford the benefit of a doubt.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,581 Messages
    3,850 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Rod Marinelli is........

That's right people....

He's Bad to the Bone

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

842 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    BTW, on the replay you can see Marinelli (twice) yell "Do your forking job".
  11. Kaiser

842 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Isn't Marinelli the only Vietnam Veteran coaching the NFL? Or combat infantryman from any war?
    jobberone likes this.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,581 Messages
    3,850 Likes Received
    2010 NFL coaches with military experience:

COACHPOSITION/TEAMMILITARY EXPERIENCE
    Chris BeakeOff. ***’t./San FranciscoServed in Air Force as civil engineer officer from 1995-98
    Kevin GreeneOutside LBs/Green BayServed as captain for 16 years in Army Reserve
    Ben KotwicaSpecial Teams ***’t./NY JetsServed in Army as Apache helicopter pilot in Iraq
    Rod MarinelliDef. Coord./***’t. Head Coach/ChicagoServed one-year tour of duty in Vietnam
    Mike PrieferSpec. Teams Coord./DenverServed in Navy (1991-94) as helicopter pilot in Persian Gulf
    Mike SullivanQBs/NY GiantsGraduate of Army Airborne, Ranger, and Air Assault schools
    Mike WaufleDef. Line/OaklandServed in Marine Corps (1972-75)
    Kaiser likes this.
  13. Kaiser

842 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Interesting. I knew Kevin Greene was a Tanker in the Reserves but didn't know he did 16 years.
  14. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,126 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Or A League of their own. :eek:
  15. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,853 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    When Jerry made the statement about the DL being a strength back in April, the regular season starters were supposed to be Ware, Spencer, Hatcher and Ratliff. The key backups included Crawford and Bass. Four of those guys never made it to the start of the season. Also, Nick Hayden was already on the roster (Selvie signed in July). At no point was it just two injuries that sent us "scrambling and scouring the streets for new starters".
    Cowboysfan1975 and RoyTheHammer like this.
  16. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Comes with the job title.. but i see stuff like that happen literally every single game of the NFL season without the refs penalizing the coaches for it. I thought it was a bit ridiculous. Seemed like they were just trying to even things up after the other unsportmanlike conduct penalty on the Redskins coach.
  17. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Ratliff was never anything more than a super-long-shot and maybe not even that, Crawford was going to be starter even though he was not proven. Do we have starters now that were not on the roster then...? Yup...