1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hezbollah says US ship is threat

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    A Hezbollah MP has condemned the deployment of the USS Cole warship off the coast of Lebanon as a threat to Lebanese sovereignty and independence.
    The US is sending one warship and a support ship to the eastern Mediterranean as a show of support for "regional stability".

The deployment is seen as a warning to Syria, which backs the opposition, of which Hezbollah is part.

But MP Hassan Fadlallah said the movement would not give in to threats.

He told reporters: "It is clear this threat and intimidation will not affect us."

"The American move threatens the stability of Lebanon and the region and it is an attempt to spark tension," he told Reuters news agency.

"The American administration has used the policy of sending warships to support its allies in Lebanon before, and that experiment failed and backfired.

"We don't succumb to threats and military intimidation practised by the United States to implement its hegemony over Lebanon."

Support

Lebanon is deep in political crisis, precipitating a series of political assassinations.

The country has not had a president since 24 November, when pro-Syrian Emile Lahoud left office. Parliament has repeatedly failed to elect a successor amid an ongoing row over candidates.

The election was postponed once again this week, and is now due to take place on 11 March. There are fears that the political deadlock could lead to escalating sectarian violence.

Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Michael Mullen, said the presence of the USS Cole was important.

He said the signal was "not specifically sent to any one country as much as it is to the region itself".

"That's a very important part of the world and stability there is an important outcome for us," he said.

The USS Cole is expected to take up position, out of visible range of Lebanon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7270686.stm
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,807 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    The USS Cole is an intimidating ship to have perched outside your Country.

They wont admit it ...... but they are scared.
  3. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Then why are you worried about it?
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,122 Messages
    1,186 Likes Received
    cause like zrin said, they're skeered.
  5. zrinkill

32,807 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    I would be too if I knew the USS Cole was near ..... that one ship could out gun their entire Country.
  6. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Why? I thought they embraced death? So why are they worried about a warship?
  7. iceberg

28,122 Messages
    1,186 Likes Received
    oh they embrace death. YOURS. : )
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, it has offended them. We should send it back.
  9. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Stability in Lebanon and the region? :lmao2: This guy is almost as good as Bagdad Bob. :rolleyes:
  10. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    The same Cole I assume that got a bloody nose in a missile attack ten years ago or so ?

Like Dennis Hopper in that movie Independence Day "Remember me, Hello boys, I'm back"...Right before he blew up the alien spacecraft.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,043 Messages
    3,280 Likes Received
    Randy Quaid not Dennis Hopper:cool:

The Cole sitting out there reminds me of a couple of AC/DC songs.

Big Gun and Fire you guns.:D
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Yes the very same one. The USS Cole was attacked by a small water craft that was loaded with explosives and she is back. By the way it was not Dennis Hopper it was Randy Quade
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,880 Messages
    3,348 Likes Received
    Now if the US would only arrange for some kind of military training exercise with the Cole do you suppose Hezbollah would notice?

:D
  14. zrinkill

32,807 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    I can guarantee if anything comes near the Cole .......it will soon come face to face with Allah.
  15. iceberg

28,122 Messages
    1,186 Likes Received
    so they think a US warship is a threat?

GOOD.

i'd hate to spend billions for a threat like that and have them miss it.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,494 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    How scared do you think they would feel if they had the technology to find the U.S. subs that are probably out there, too?
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I don't know why they are worried= its not like we have a CBG right off their shore.