1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

High Blood Caffeine Levels help Avoidance of Alzheimer’s

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Three cups of coffee a day will help keep the dementia away! :laugh2:

=====================================

High Blood Caffeine Levels in Older Adults Linked to Avoidance of Alzheimer’s Disease

Tampa, FL (June 4, 2012) - Those cups of coffee that you drink every day to keep alert appear to have an extra perk – especially if you’re an older adult. A recent study monitoring the memory and thinking processes of people older than 65 found that all those with higher blood caffeine levels avoided the onset of Alzheimer’s disease in the two-to-four years of study follow-up. Moreover, coffee appeared to be the major or only source of caffeine for these individuals.

Researchers from the University of South Florida (www.usf.edu) and the University of Miami (www.miami.edu) say the case control study provides the first direct evidence that caffeine/coffee intake is associated with a reduced risk of dementia or delayed onset. Their findings will appear in the online version of an article to be published June 5 in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, published by IOS Press (http://health.usf.edu/nocms/publicaffairs/now/pdfs/JAD111781.pdf). The collaborative study involved 124 people, ages 65 to 88, in Tampa and Miami.

“These intriguing results suggest that older adults with mild memory impairment who drink moderate levels of coffee -- about 3 cups a day -- will not convert to Alzheimer’s disease -- or at least will experience a substantial delay before converting to Alzheimer’s,” said study lead author Dr. Chuanhai Cao, a neuroscientist at the USF College of Pharmacy and the USF Health Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute. “The results from this study, along with our earlier studies in Alzheimer’s mice, are very consistent in indicating that moderate daily caffeine/coffee intake throughout adulthood should appreciably protect against Alzheimer’s disease later in life.”

Complete Story
  2. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hope this is true
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Probably about as true as the bran muffins aiding in avoiding colon cancer line that came and went...
  4. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Bran does not approve of this message.

[IMG]
  5. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Not surprised by this at all. I drink around 4 cups of organic black coffee every day. Full of antioxidants. The key is not adding any harmful sugars and hydrating yourself with adequate water intake.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,333 Messages
    157 Likes Received

I thought all coffee came from the Earth?
  8. TheSport78

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Lots of instant coffee types and others go through thorough processing, where it may lose many of the antioxidants and there have been studies that show coffee that isn't organic could have pesticides and other harmful additives that manufacturers aren't required to tell us about.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It will also significantly increase your blood pressure.
  10. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I drink 16 ounces of coffee a day. I do not have high blood pressure.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    I like having my coffee 2 cups in the morning 1 in the evening after I get home. It makes me happy. :laugh2:
  12. CashMan

1,333 Messages
    157 Likes Received

I am not talking about instant. Is it the pesticides? I've read they are pretty much not harmful to humans, and with the washing of the beans and roasting, it should not be on them.
  13. TheSport78

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    That's only within the first hour or two of consumption. Long-term usage of caffeine actually supports healthy blood pressure levels.
  14. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,723 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    I never sleep, but I don't have a problem with caffeine :D Afterall, it is part of the food pyramid .. it keeps it spinning around throughout the day :)

#reality
  15. TheSport78

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Who told you that? The FDA? :D

I just tend to use organic as much as possible, whether it's with coffee or food. I pretty much know what I'm getting, ya know?
  16. TheSport78

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    I always consume about 200 mg of caffeine about 60 minutes before exercise. Amazing drug for athletic performance.
  17. CashMan

1,333 Messages
    157 Likes Received

It's terrible when you get hooked on Monster, and when you do not get it, you get a RAGGING headache. I would like to say I have been 47 days sober of Monster and counting.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Coffee is a classic "if you don't over do it, it's good" antioxidant.
    Red wine too.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,499 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    Bran is really proud of his muffins. He wants an arm and two legs for them.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's good to hear, but you're also only 38. Your risk of high blood pressure increases with age as most things do, and numerous studies have linked heavy caffeine use over time with mild to moderate increases in blood pressure. In small doses, much like alcohol, it can actually help your heart. Most people drink far more than this, though.

Caffeine does increase your blood pressure in the short term as well, though. Take your BP right before and then immediately after a cup of coffee. You'll like see a 10-15 point jump in systolic pressure. Over time, caffeine increases your blood pressure permanently. People with BP that is already high schould avoid coffee for the most part. The majority of heart attacks occur when people are waking up in the mornings when your BP is the highest, and coffee can exasberate the early morning BP spike.