1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Highsmith finds alternate route to success in NFL Then and now By RICK HERRIN

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    THEN/NOW - ALONZO HIGHSMITH

[IMG]
    Highsmith finds alternate route to success in NFL Then and now
    [IMG]
    [size=-1]By RICK HERRIN[/size]
    [IMG]
    [size=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/size]
    [IMG]

Alonzo Highsmith has rekindled his football passion in a league that provided so much disappointment.

Highsmith, a former Cowboys fullback from 1990-91, is in his seventh year as a college scout for the Green Bay Packers.

Finding talent, such as Packers seventh-round pick Donald Driver, is now his reward, filling the gap left from his playing days.

The former No. 3 overall pick of the 1987 draft had a career dogged by an injured left knee that never healed, preventing him from reaching his potential.

Highsmith played six seasons and had seven knee surgeries before retiring and making an unusual post-career switch to professional boxing.

Highsmith, 40, lives in the Houston area and has two sons following his footsteps playing varsity football.

How do you reflect on your career that was wrecked by a bad knee?

There is a lot of disappointment. My whole life was geared toward football and being successful. To me, I didn't fail at pro football, but because of injuries my career was cut short. I never got an opportunity to be what I could be as a pro football player.

What lured you to NFL scouting?

My passion is college scouting and finding talent. Nothing thrills me more than a seventh- or fourth-round draft pick turning out to be a great player. This was a natural fit for me, and I think I'm good at it.

Is this an avenue to finally achieving some reward from the NFL?

This is an opportunity to accomplish what I didn't accomplish in pro football -- like getting to the Super Bowl and helping build a team. I won't fail at this. I approach scouting like I did football.

How hard was it for you in Dallas dealing with the knee injury?

I couldn't run. I couldn't do anything. I think it hurt Coach [Jimmy] Johnson to watch me. He remembered what I once was. It hurt him as much as it hurt me. I wished I could have stayed healthy and been a part of Super Bowls, but those things just happen.

What's your scouting report on your two sons -- A.J. Highsmith at Fort Bend Hightower and Brandon Thermilus at Flower Mound Marcus?

A.J. [a quarterback] is smart, athletic and has a good arm. He is very accurate throwing the ball. He's still young and building the arm strength. Brandon is more of a natural running back than I was. I was a linebacker first and moved to running back. I think his best football is ahead of him.

IN THE KNOW

Alonzo Highsmith

Position: Fullback

Career: Houston Oilers, 1987-89; Cowboys, 1990-91; Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1991-92.

Highlights: No. 3 overall pick in the 1987 draft by Houston. ... Rushed for 1,195 yards and 7 TDs in career hampered by a knee injury. ... Starred for hometown Miami Hurricanes from 1983-86 and won a national championship in 1983.

Residence: Missouri City

Family: Wife Denise, sons A.J. Highsmith (14), Brandon Thermilus (17), daughter Jordan Highsmith (11).

Notable: Was 27-1-1 as a professional heavyweight boxer after retiring from the NFL. ... Was waived in 1991 season by Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson, his former coach at Miami. ... High school teammate of Alabama coach Mike Shula.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    This is great, other than Donald Driver, how many 2nd day wonders has GB dug up???
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,223 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    I liked Highsmith coming out of college, but I couldn't believe Houston took him so high. He was good, but not that good.

Good job in scouting for Driver. I wonder how many college scouts the Packers employee.

How many scouts work for the Cowboys? Also, who is in charge now. Lacewell used to be in charge of both the pro and college scouts. I remember reading articles that criticized having one guy in charge of both. They said that was too much to do.
  4. Glenn Carano

Glenn Carano New Member

574 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RB Tony Fisher undrafted FA in 2002 out of ND is now their starting RB.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    His sons are at different high schools?
  6. joseephuss

20,223 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    Fort Bend Hightower is in Missouri City, soutwest of Houston

Flower Mound Marcus is nortwest of Dallas
  7. trickblue

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    I know... it just seemed strange for some reason...
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,322 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    notice the different last names... different mothers...

BTW, Hightower is a pretty good school in a nice lil suburb. School looks like a small college. It's brand new, I think.
  9. trickblue

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    I saw Highsmith and Hightower... my bad...
  10. joseephuss

20,223 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    It is not that strange. Come on, Alonzo went to The U. Those guys got around. :)