1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hightower looked good today

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Mar 29, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Hightower had a great pro day in the drills today and looked better than Upshaw.

Barron also had a good day. best 40 time was 4.53 which Kirkpatrick was 4.51 at the combine.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    from gbnreport.com,

March 29
    (11:15 AM): Early numbers from Tide workout ... The early, unofficial numbers from the Alabama workout today include 40 times in the low 4.5 range for RB Trent Richardson, 4.55 for Mark Barron and something in the low 4.8 range for OLB Courtney Upshaw. Given the rule of thumb that hand-timed, pro day numbers can be as much as a tenth lower than comparable numbers from the combine, none of these times can be considered more than average. In fact, Upshaw's time is somewhat slow for an edge rusher.

I posted this on another thread as well . . . .
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    What was Hightower's time out of curiousity?
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm thinking more and more I like your first pick in your mock.

Try and trade back a few spots and target Konz. Or maybe Gilmore is still there.

If no trade back, I'm happy enough with DeCastro or Cox.
  6. woods74

woods74 Member

40 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    SDogo right there with you with Hightower...

when I was watching tape of Upshaw I kept seeing #30 blow up the line, or make a TFL, or force a big play..especialy in the National title game against LSU...

I just don't see the boys going after Hightower early, but he is a very interesting player to watch...he seems to have "it"
  7. woods74

woods74 Member

40 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Josh Norris‏@JoshNorris

Courtney Upshaw 27.5" vertical, 7.41 cone, 4.97 short shuttle. Once again, he's not an elite athlete. Tenacious with loads of power and tech
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,259 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    Hightower is going to be a stud in the nfl,he is the kind force we need at MLB.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Hightower has always been the Bama defender who stood out to me. The guy is a football player. The question has always been if you're getting a 3 down linebacker or if you're getting a younger Bradie James.
  10. Noryb

Noryb Active Member

579 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    He didn't run it, he sat on his combine time which was 4.68.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's generally always hyperbole and internet messageboard braggadocio to say you could so what any of these players do, but I'm not so sure I couldn't run a 4.97 short shuttle.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Hightower didn't run just did drills, he stood on his combine time of 4.68
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Add .1-.2 for hand times and that's how you can compare them to FAT used at the Combine.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Both Hightower and Upshaw are mean, hard-hitting football players.

You really probably can't go wrong with any of those guys off that defense. Sure, some aren't going to be Pro Bowlers, but any four of those guys will be able to contribute.

I wish I had paid more attention to Mark Barron this year and last year. Strong Safety is one of our biggest holes.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He is not a great 3rd down linebacker in coverage but he is a great stand up blitzer that can put his hand in the dirt and rush. Coverage is not his long suit. All of these Alabama defenders are big strong Marcus Spears/ Brady James type guys. None of them are sudden athletes for their position. Julio Jones, sure. Richardson yep. But the defenders just maul guys and they generally can;t maul guys in the NFL.
  16. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When I watched Hightower, the thing that stood out to me was his closing burst when blitzing up the middle. Hightower appeared to have more closing burst to the QB than any of Dallas' front seven players, except for Ware. Hightower had the burst to finish the deal and deal out some punishment when bringing heat up the middle.

I like Mark Barron the best out of all the Alabama defenders. I hope that Barron is on Dallas' short list.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I've been saying for a month to keep an eye on Hightower. He would eventually become Spencer's replacement at outside LB. He has played on the outside in college and was very good at it. He is also, tough, smart and a hard worker; key ingredients for a Garrett player.
  18. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Agree. I've posted on here before that he's one of the most versatile defensive players of all the front 7 guys. He can play inside and outside and line up at DE with his hand down on 3rd down.

When he was a freshman before his knee injury Saban said he was the best young lber he ever had and was the key to their defense. That was a defense that had Rolando McClain on it.

Today on the ESPNU coverage they spoke to John Copeland, the former Bama DL and first round pick of the Bengals and asked him who out of all the defensive guys working out would have the most success in the NFL and he said Hightower. Said he will be a GREAT NFL LBer.

I would love for us to pick him.
  19. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I would not be disappointed either! I really like the guy and think the Cowboys do too!
  20. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I feel pretty good about two things:
    1. Jason Garrett will absolutely know these players.
    2. Nick Saban will be brutally honest in his personal opinion of these players toward Garrett.

I still think Dallas drafts one of them, and I think it will be the one that Saban recommends over all the others.