1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hill: Back surgery is affecting Romo’s deep passes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Aug 6, 2014.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,470 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    The doctors said specifically that Romo did not have a degenerative situation. Long term, that is good news. I doubt it matters today though.

Tiger rushed back into play. He had surgery 3 mos later than Tony and came back 2 mos after surgery.

If anything, what happened with Tiger should make better happier about Romo being super cautious until he absolutely has to go full bore.
    Cebrin likes this.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    If Peyton Manning can do what he does with an arm nowhere near as strong as Romo's then this so called concern is just more BS.
    khiladi likes this.
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,415 Messages
    1,900 Likes Received
    Rock solid posts, Crown Royal. It's pretty much all for naught, but they are appreciated.

For me, I am waiting to see Romo enjoy five-step drops, firmly set his feet, see the deep route, and follow through his throwing motion. That will supply me with info towards making an informed opinion about any back hindering mechanics. I am putting lots of hope into Zach Martin finally solidifying the front wall of Romo's pocket. In my opinion, pressure up-the-gut does the most damage in throwing off his accuracy and causes him to throw passes prematurely.
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,908 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    Aikman said after his back surgery he lost 15 yards off his deep ball that he never regained.
  5. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,638 Messages
    2,742 Likes Received
    It's something worth watching this year, but if it's anything like last year, then it's a non-issue.

Last year, Romo was 21 of 56 for 8 TD and 1 INT on throws of 20+ yards, with a rating of 117.1.

The only interception went right through Dez's hands in the end zone in Philly just before halftime.
  6. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,053 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    I don't have a good feeling about his back. We may be seeing Weeden sooner than intended.
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,952 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    It's an adequate pass. Williams had to adjust for sure, but he had inside leverage and romo put it in a place for him to make a play. Had he passed outside shoulder and Williams had to really fight it would be a different story.
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,952 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Depending on how you feel about Pro Football Focus, they break it down even more. He gets less efficient over 30 yards, but 20-30 yards the ONLY Qbs better than Romo are Manning and Brees I believe.
  9. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

1,099 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Where do you get your stats from Percy?
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    so naturally its the same here. Wow you are really desperate.
  11. percyhoward

8,638 Messages
    2,742 Likes Received
    When you think about it, it's really impossible for a QB to be weak at a major part of his game without it showing up in his pass rating.
  12. percyhoward

8,638 Messages
    2,742 Likes Received
    Those are from PFF.
  13. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Well-Known Member

444 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Damn, Williams is fast.
    DallasEast likes this.
  14. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    Dez is such a talent that we should be able to duplicate what Romo did with TO. Romo had a nice arm back then, stronger than I originally thought. There's no doubt that he has lost some zip and distance on his throws.
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,908 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    It's being reported that Romo's back surgery is affecting his deep balls so it may end up being the same thing here we'll just have to wait and see. I didn't even mention Romo but anytime I comment in a thread about him here you come looking to get something stirred up. I've had just about enough of your agenda.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    7,576 Likes Received
    That's sort of the point, right?
  17. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,946 Messages
    1,091 Likes Received
    This coming from Wade The Blade Backup! Sorry Wade, you were, and never were the athlete Romo is. Romo has always struggled somewhat with the deep ball. Nothing new here. He is more suited to the WCO in my opinion, something that Linehan is here to remedy. I ain't worried. I will worry when the bullets start to fly for real.
  18. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

865 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Off his heel too!
  19. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

865 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    Check the chart for that leading 24.0 yds after the catch too. Who wouldn't play the short game? :D
    BigStar likes this.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,470 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    That was pretty impressive in several ways