1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Lovie is not going to be an assistant here. He might take a DC job, but he is probably going to TV somewhere. Lovie is not Raheem Morris who will take a position coach role.
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Lack of continuity means success is a lot harder to come by as the last 18 years have shown us.
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I really hope and dream kiffin somehow knows Kenny norton and brings him in. I'd love for him to be our future d coordinator. Loved him as a player ANd would love him on the sidelines
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's funny, a week ago everyone on the board was hopping up and down screaming for changes.

A week later everyone is hoping down and screaming for status quo and continuity.
  5. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,462 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I honestly can't think of a more perfect fit having Lee as the middle deep backer and Carter's sideline to sideline speed playing underneath. Not sure who the third guy would be, but having those two already is already one problem solved in getting players to mesh.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    Ware and Spencer don't kill QBs? I believe no pass rusher is more feared than Ware.

Kiffin's last year in Tampa the #1 pick was a CB, Talib. I believe he was known in college for his physical play.
  7. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe they're pining for Head Coach Dave Campo still since continuity is the key.
  8. Hostile

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    For my money, Albright earned his spurs.
  9. Hostile

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    You are the most under rated poster on this forum. <--Compliment
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,923 Messages
    5,566 Likes Received
    But the Cowboys aren't that talented.
  11. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Looking at the last 18 years it doesn't appear to in Dallas especially on defense.

It didn't in 2008 for Wade with 9 former 1st round picks on defense.
  12. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    You sure Spencer is back next year?
  13. Hostile

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    Carter becoming our Derrick Brooks has me absolutely giddy, and Lee is way better than Quarles.
  14. Hostile

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    I'd say 80% likely as of right now.

I'll even tell you this, I won't be shocked if Kiffin uses the 3-4. I know he can.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,166 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Ware is a great pass rusher.

Spencer is a great 3-4 OLB who has averaged 5.3 sacks per year in his career and is quite possibly the best all-around 3-4 OLB who is equally capable vs the in coverage, against the run, and rushing the passer.

Putting Spencer's hand on the ground full time as a 4-3 DE is wasting what has been him such a good 3-4 LB and also probably equates to dramatically overpaying (assuming $10m/year to resign) a guy who has been an average pass rusher in his career.
  16. Hostile

118,417 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    That's fair, but talent does fade and some of ours was by then.
  17. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

1,988 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Also Albright has me intrigued. He's athletic, big, smart, and can play multiple positions. This defense has the makings to be very dominant if we draft right to upgrade our defensive line and guys like Crawford/Lissemore take the next step.
  18. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

992 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Bravo my friend. Am I the only one that cracks up while reading some of these posts from our fan base trying to come off as insiders with direct knowledge of the inner workings of Valley Ranch? Or, those that try to compare what a coordinator did in college and assuming that he will not succeed in the NFL? Or, that he's too old, yet would jump on the chance to hire a DC that's even 3 years older? I could go on for days here. Like you said - TALENT can excel in any scheme. Great coaches have crapped out more knowledge abou the game than most of us will ever possess. This guy is a guru, plain and simple.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Spencer got a double digit sacks this year primarily because he was allowed to put his hand on the ground and rush the passer more. Watch the game tape or go through Bob Sturm's blogs, Cowboys played a ton of snaps in what amounted to a 4-3 with Ware playing weakside 4-3 DE in a 2 point stance bookended by Spencer on the opposite end with his hand on the ground.

To quote Bob Sturm's blogs...

20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,923 Messages
    5,566 Likes Received
    You don't judge talent by draft position.

The truth is the Cowboys haven't had good defensive talent since the 90's. They had some good players here and there, but not an overall talent base that would make you expect them to be one of the best defenses in the league or there's something wrong with the coordinator.

Take a look at this roster. The DL is about as marginal as you'll find in the league. I suppose moving to a 4-3 will help that and get Ware in there but it also weakens your LBs. We've got Lee and Carter. Talented but injury prone. Our 3rd LB spot in the new defense is a huge question mark.

There isn't a safety on this roster I'd want starting for me.

Ware's a beast but clearly on the back 9 of his career. Spencer just finished his first season as a quality pass rusher and he's a FA approaching 30.

I'm not getting this hella talent thing. It's been overrated for years and remains so today.