1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

History Channel: "Vikings", "The Bible" - breaking Walking Dead records.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    "The Bible" is a ten part mini series that premiered as the highest rated cable telecast of 2013.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...le-entertainment-telecast-of-the-year/171878/

"Vikings" is History Channels first scripted show and premiered as the highest rated Cable TV show of 2013 (unlikely to be topped).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-3-million-total-viewers-on-the-night/171885/

I am going to wait to watch The Bible all in one shot when it wraps up as it is a mini series but with Vikings so intriguing and now a monster hit I might jump in next Sunday.
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Any show can have great launch numbers if promoted enough. Only good shows with good story lines hang around.

That said, "The Bible" is a mini-series and any records it breaks are irrelevant to The Walking Dead.

As for Vikings .. get back to me *if* it makes it three seasons.

/reality
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I have seen both shows and enjoyed them.
  4. Reality

11,866 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I plan to watch both as well as they both sound very interesting.

/reality
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    They are if you are into history or the bible then it is very entertaining.
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    That is why I am so excited about these shows. Love my history.
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Me too. I find it more interesting now than when I was in school. Hard to learn from a monotone voice in a class room who bores you to tears.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,430 Likes Received
    Is it replaying the 1st night this week at all?
  9. Reality

11,866 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I love watching shows and documentaries about history, especially those produced in the last few years. As I said earlier today in another thread on another topic, I am very glad to see cable channels starting to produce high quality shows and alternatives to the major networks. I root for shows I even do not care for on cable channels because I really want to see more players and more options in the prime time market.

/reality
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,310 Messages
    4,638 Likes Received
    Don't know about the Bible...hope so as I missed the first one.

The Vikings show should be playing again. Started on Sunday night but they had 2-3 showings of it that night and a couple showings of it on Monday night as well.

So you should be able to find it on demand (if you have cable and they support that). Or you should be able to set it to record on your DVR (if you have a version of the DVR).

The Viking show was kind of cool. Still early and I think the viking Chieftan looked miscast but who knows maybe he will grow into it.

There was a cool part on the battle field with the black birds though... won't ruin it with spoilers but it is in the first few minutes of the episode.
  11. DFWJC

23,564 Messages
    2,430 Likes Received
    I have UVerse (don't get me started), so set the DVR for future shows and try to catch 1st round too.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Just don't treat anything you see on the History Channel as being particularly accurate. Entertaining yes; but not edcuational unless you want revisionist history unsupported by actual facts. The Bible of course is one thing; and the Vikings are an interesting dramedy
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,310 Messages
    4,638 Likes Received
    http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Think you can watch the first episode online.
  14. DFWJC

23,564 Messages
    2,430 Likes Received
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    From what I have read, the Vikings series will be based as close as possible to historical facts . Of course nobody knows about the conversations between historical figures, but they tried to keep the story close to the written history . I love these type of shows. They picked a good topic IMO.
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Yes, .. keep this in mind as you watch the Bible on the History Ch.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Whose written history? Do some research on some of the History Channel programs and you will not like what you find.

I learned this over 10 years ago when they did a program on Pershing and got a lot of so called facts wrong. Looked at the researchers they chose for the program and EVERY ONE of them were noted as very biased critics of Pershing. So keep that in mind. HC is Hollywood and they really could care less about facts; its all bottom line and money making.
  18. DFWJC

23,564 Messages
    2,430 Likes Received
    I really like the History Channel but agree that they can get derailed at times regarding the facts.

It really does depend on who the main contibutors were.
  19. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Exactly. Thing about history it depends on how you view it and from what perspective. I'm sure history of Hitler would have been very different had Germany won the war. :laugh2:
  20. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,255 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Exactly. The History Channel really needs to rename themselves.