1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Honda's Hydrogen Car.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Jun 16, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Is there a law that say's these efficient cars have to be ugly?
    Man, they're never as great looking as, say a Lexus or a Benz.

Anyway, here's to hoping this can lead to something...

Honda rolls out fuel cell car.

TAKANEZAWA, Japan (AP) -- Honda's new zero-emission, hydrogen fuel cell car rolled off a Japanese production line Monday and is headed to southern California, where Hollywood is already abuzz over the latest splash in green motoring.

The FCX Clarity, which runs on hydrogen and electricity, emits only water and none of the gases believed to induce global warming. It is also two times more energy efficient than a gas-electric hybrid and three times that of a standard gasoline-powered car, the company says.

Honda expects to lease out a "few dozen" units this year and about 200 units within a year. In California, a three-year lease will run $600 a month, which includes maintenance and collision coverage.

Among the first customers are actress Jamie Lee Curtis and filmmaker husband Christopher Guest, actress Laura Harris, film producer Ron Yerxa, as well as businessmen Jon Spallino and Jim Salomon.

"It's so smooth," said Harris, who played villainness Marie Warner on the hit TV show "24." "It's like a future machine, but it's not."

Harris, Spallino and Yerxa were flown to the ceremony, courtesy of Honda. Yerxa says he's excited to show off the car and believes there's "a lot of interest."

The biggest obstacles standing in the way of wider adoption of fuel cell vehicles are cost and the dearth of hydrogen fuel stations. For the Clarity's release in California, Honda said it received 50,000 applications through its Web site but considered only buyers living near hydrogen fuel stations in Torrance, Santa Monica and Irvine.

"This is indeed a historic day for both Honda and American Honda - a new chapter in our nearly fifty-year history in America," said John Mendel, a senior vice president at America Honda Motor Co. at a morning ceremony here. "It's an especially significant day for American Honda as we plant firm footsteps toward the mainstreaming of fuel cell cars."

Initially, however, the Clarity will go only to a chosen few starting July and then launch in Japan this fall.

Although Honda Motor Co. (HMC) was the first Japanese automaker to launch a gas-electric hybrid vehicle in the U.S. in 1999, it has been outpaced by the dominance of Toyota's (TM) popular Prius.

Toyota announced in May that it has sold more than 1 million Prius hybrids, while both the Honda Insight and the hybrid Accord have been discontinued due to poor sales.

The FCX Clarity is part of Honda's plan to keep pace with rivals in green technology. It also plans to launch a gas-electric hybrid-only model, as well as hybrid versions of the Civic, the sporty CR-Z and Fit subcompact.
  2. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    This irritates me.

Not because there's a green car. I'm excited about it.

But because you're going to have rich folks that can afford gas prices getting these cars.

This is why I'm for drilling in Alaska, the Gulf, my backyard, etc....Regular people need relief now.....Let the rich people play with this new technology until it becomes affordable for everyone else, then we can shut down the oil drilling.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    This is similar to what they did with the electric car. They leased it to a select few. When they said they were going to recall them the people begged them to let them buy them from the company but they refused and instead destroyed all of them.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Well you would not get one anyways unless you lived in that area.
  5. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The good news is that the oil companies and the federal government are behind this. The bad news is that the auto manufacturers will still kill the project if the car doesn't have enough parts to break down.
  6. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I'm not saying I would want one.

I'm saying that if they really wanted to test it....really wanted to see how it would work in America...they would make it to where anyone (not just the rich) could test it.

I know there's no way for me to drive one right now....but I'd love to see a middle-class family of four drive one for a year and report how it works for them.

This is promising...but we're still years away from having functional hydrogen stations. I think we need to drill until that happens....Ease the burden on folks struggling to earn a living.
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yeah, I would think the commuter would provide a better example of it's usefulness, than someone who really doesn't rely on it as much.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    But drilling now will have an effect....in 10 or 15 years....

So you aren't going to be seeing anything, 'cept maybe some construction jobs in the melting tundra.

It's closing the door after the horse has gone.

Not against drilling actually, as long as they are held to stringent standards for the development. Not the usuall nudge nudge wink wink ones.
  9. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    We'll see faster effects from drilling (I disagree about the 10 to 15 year estimates) than we will from a hydrogen, electric, air powered car.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Whatever happened to the electric cars that had power stations at some malls, etc.? Anyone else remember those?
  11. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    The good battery tech is still patented, and Chevron has veto power on its use. The batteries that were used had to be replaced too often at like $3k per for it to be viable.
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Yeah sure keep using that excuse that it takes years to get the oil - well its going to take years to do just about ANYTHING. But you libs always miss that little point.
  14. burmafrd

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Battery tech is still not there to really make it cost effective on a large scale. Same with Hydrogen. I notice there were no figures in that article about how many miles at what speed it could make, etc. Just vague claims about energy efficiency.
  15. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    found this online:
    2008 Honda FCX

MOTOR: Type—AC synchronous motor with 95 kW max output; 256Nm max torque
    FUEL CELL STACK: Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEFC). Output: 100 kW
    FUEL: Compressed hydrogen stored in high-pressure tanks; capacity 45 gallons
    ENERGY STORAGE:Lithium ion batteries
    MAX SPEED: 100 mph
    MAX RANGE: 270 miles

45 gallons and 270 mile range?
  16. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's not an excuse, it's true. Too many people, like Bizwah apparently, think that drilling would bring relief right away and it wouldn't. We should pursue both alternative energy and drilling options, it would provide future oil relief and it would help us move away from Middle Eastern oil even faster. It's not a matter of liberals missing the point, the majority of them are just focusing on more long term solutions. Both sides want the same thing, they're just looking at different ways to achieve it. Both arglebargle and I said we would be ok with drilling, so how could we be missing the point?
  17. burmafrd

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Starting to drill NOW would take the speculators at least partly out of it and would lower the price quickly.

Maybe I am taring you with the same brush as Brain and company who want us to start suffering now.
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    speculation is a short term thing, burm. yes, it's also very volitale. but given that it would take the saudi's to drill 1mil barrels a day MORE than they are not to stop it (maybe) it's hard for me to believe that a threat of that happening in 7 years will stop it today.

maybe you just want suffering to end NOW so you think any action will do that. i disagree and see us in this for awhile longer. i've never known far off answers to todays problem to make todays problem any better.

can you cite examples of this?
  19. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,820 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    I keep hearing that it takes years (6-10) to get the oil out of the ground. But, no one ever says why. Anyone have a guess? I just can't believe that it takes 10 years to get oil out of the ground.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Its a myth that is being banded around like a fact (much like global warming)

My great uncle (retired oil driller) said they could start seeing results in 2-3 years.

The 8-10 year thing would be when they were at peak production.