1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Hope is not a strategy

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by BAT, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,801 Messages
    15,560 Likes Received
    I don't have to do research, Mike. I knew your response before you said it. You said nothing at the time or in the following years. You were right with the others reciting the handbook. Oh, you know more than the team? They must see something. Wait and see. You couldn't possibly know now.

But now we can blame those years. It's far enough away and under a slightly different regime. It doesn't threaten the fantasy that the team currently is fine and now making smart decisions.

Here's a newsflash for you, Mikey. We don't draft any better now than we did then. I won't talk about 2013 and 2014 as that's far too soon to come to a conclusion but the impact the team has gotten from the 2010-2012 drafts is just as bad as that huge hole you're lamenting about previously.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,470 Messages
    4,594 Likes Received
    And I knew your response before you said it.

Hyperbole... blah... blah... Jerry sucks.

Got it.
    Idgit likes this.
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

8,326 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    I was a huge fan as well. Comparing talent is subjective because it is not just the talent on the team but in the whole league that is different from then and now. But the influence that a vet with championship pedigree can provide is invaluable for ANY team, not just teams that are in championship contention right now.

And I go where I want Mike.
  4. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,999 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    Yeah Bat I have to agree on this point -- this is all about next year. We are going to (hopefully) have a small window with Romo for two or three years starting next season and beyond with a dynamic offense and a good defense that we will build through the draft and that will be it--

Until we get our next QB.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,778 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm wrote an article about it a few seasons ago.

He used a perfect analogy saying it was like plugging holes in dam and once a hole got plugged another would pop right up somewhere else.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,655 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    I'd say it started before then. We've been chasing holes for quite awhile.
    stasheroo likes this.
  7. jobberone

41,655 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    Except in two instances

1. Draft and UDFA
    2, rescue and/or obtain VFA/cuts

The latter is really difficult and the former just difficult.
  8. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,693 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    Dez,Tyron and Demarco are all better than anything we drafted from 2006-2009. That's not even consisting the additions of Frederick or Martin.

It's a marked difference tbh.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,552 Messages
    1,985 Likes Received
    What are are you talking about? Hasnt it worked brilliantly since the mid 90's?
  10. jobberone

41,655 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    Do we really need to keep making multiple posts about the FO suckage? Anymore will be deleted or worse. Talk about the players please. That's plenty to discuss.
    DallasEast likes this.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,616 Messages
    3,692 Likes Received
    Conversely, look at the defensive players added (or not) during that same time period.

Partly explains why we have half of a team.
    BAT and windward like this.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

17,932 Messages
    8,762 Likes Received
    What you say makes sense.

In a season like this one, I just don't want to keep a Nick Hayden over a Ken Bishop even if Hayden is slightly better at this minute. If they could get a Seymour type to replace Hayden, then that would be different, but it's probably too late for that. Also, if that Seymour type costs 10M for this season and 10M next season, then I would prefer to just wait and spend the 20M on 2 guys of that caliber next season when some other positions are hopefully more resolved.
  13. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,693 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    oh it's not perfect, but the 06-09 drafts have helped put us in this position. I'd argue that our recent drafting has helped us stay near .500 then being 6-10 or worse.
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,616 Messages
    3,692 Likes Received
    While I would counter with the fact that players acquired under Parcells had a lot to do with that too.

Unfortunately, that window has closed...
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

18,208 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    If you don't want to deal with injuries then I recommend following a different sport. And your level of analysis is mostly emotional generalizations like scrub, jag, etc. Sorry if I find that worthless.

Who is to say they have not entertained trade offers or pursuing some? Like I said people have no clue how to handle uncertainty.

If you want to have a discussion about trades for specific players that are known to be available as well as the opportunity cost then fine but your quick fix scheme sounds like the type of thought that led to awful WR trades in the past. Sustainable success in the NFL is done through the draft. Lawrence was not hurt when they drafted him.

By all means rant some more though.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

18,208 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    What is amusing is the notion that one trade is going to magically make the defense work.

Our corner depth especially without Oscan is suspect. Our S depth sucks. We have a bunch of young development guys in the front 7.

Some people think a guy like 2012 Seymour -who OAK gave up a 1st for- is going to fix that. This mentality that a quick fix has to exist is childish frankly.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Hope is all you get when your strategic blueprint for your organization doesn't exist.

3 defensive coordinators in three years. 3 offensive coordinators in three years equal no vision at all. Knee jerk reactions.
    BAT and Dodger12 like this.
  18. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,141 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Suh for witten ! Escobar has gained strength and is ready to go!
  19. Sinister

Sinister Active Member

199 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Your argument that I think is fallacious is the idea that just bringing in players means that the Cowboys 'have done what counts.'

What I'm saying is that the Cowboys moves have no strategy (or that their strategy in regards to the defense has been poor), they pick up players that they hope (as OP stated in the beginning of this thread) have the talent to succeed in this defense. Drafting 7th round defensive lineman and bringing in UDFA and hoping they succeed is not a good strategy. Drafting tight-ends in the second round multiple years when the need is on defense in not a good strategy. Drafting small school/undersized defensive backs in multiple drafts is not a good strategy.

I have no problem with some of their picks on offense what I have a problem is the fact that their just doesn't appear to be a cohesive strategy (as OP stated).
    BAT likes this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

18,208 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    That is not a fallacy. You don't agree but that is not the same thing. Try harder.

Must suck to have to hate Escobar. He is playing well.

Drafting multiple front 7 players including one at the top of the second round doesn't count because two of them got hurt.
    Signing Melton, Mincey, Coleman and McClain don't count because you don't feel good about them.
    Trading for McClain doesn't count because he isn't a sure thing.

They draft TE multiple times to go for a 2 TE base. They draft OL early 3 out of 4 years. You don't see a strategy. I think that speaks more about you then it does the organization.