1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hostile's Christmas in April...Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 26, 2008.

1. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received

But wait. Has everyone given up on Free and McQuistan? If so, why? I've only heard encouraging things about them. How is a high profile rookie any better?

I agree that protecting the franchise QB is paramount but I have the utmost faith in one HH.
  2. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Winston Justice makes me not want to take any OL from USC.

I don't like Kevin Smith and you don't have to go 1st round to get a good OL. Traves Gooden from the U is the ILB we need and could be had in the 3rd or 4th round. If we go WR in the 2nd round Donnie Avery is the guy i want us to snag. Tony hills is the guy that i want us to draft out of texas would be a nice pick up. If we go fullback in the third round id prob loss my mind.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    If the staff has confidence in those guys, by all means pass on the OT, but can any of us say that's definitely the case at this point? Flo may be gone this year and Columbo is in the final year of his contract. It might be a good time to draft one of the more talented OTs available.
  4. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,217 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    Also Jacob Rogers.
  5. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well here is my shot at it!

I don't like going OT there but this hinges on Flo decision. I think McQ and Free are probably more NFL ready to play now.

He won't be on the board there. This is a very deep draft at CB and we can get starting grade quality in 2 to 3.

I am not as enamored with big slow WR's. WR and CB in 2 or 3 is a good bet though. I like Marcus Henry who is more a Colston type later in draft also. Dexter Jackson from Appalchian state for KR skills later day 2.

Can't debate this one. Kids a player. We can debate 3rd maybe too high but all in all good pick.

Risky pick, not sure on his NFL future. Lots of RB's ahead of him we can grab earlier and there is no MB3 comparison. He does have production on his resume.
  6. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not sure I've heard anything you haven't; I'm referring to repeated references by Hitzges here on the Ticket- whose source is Spags, I believe- who has indicated the consistent positive appraisals of both Free and McQ.
  7. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,915 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    You lose all credibility when you reject a player based on school, it's kinda like racism but not so drastic. Not that it matters but to me the schools that produce well are Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Penn, California, and Oklahoma. Oh wait those are states...:rolleyes:
  8. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree a school is a system and each player goes thru that system. It makes you wonder how good the school is when you see people floop like that in the pro's its sort of buyer beware.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    Good plan. You'd pass on guys like Tony Boselli, Anthony Munoz, and Ron Yary that way.
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,915 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Ahh yes because USC produces garbage consistently and never competes in bowl games:rolleyes:
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Boy Hos...

It needs some work. :)

You like Baker a lot more than most. I don't think he has the feet for LT at the pro-level.

I don't think Cason is going to be available where you have him going.

Taking a FB before a RB? Ouch.

You have this thing about big, slow receivers don't ya? :)
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    don't like it
  13. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

895 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I don't think these guys were coached by the same guys as Justice, Rogers & Baker. I do believe in trends with college players and their coaches...
  14. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    If that was our draft day, I'd dance a jig. And I'm a white boy with no rythm.

I just do not believe Kevin Smith lasts till the 4th round. Small guy, small school, it doesn't matter. When you approach Barry Sanders all time NCAA rushing mark, teams will be calling alot earlier than the 4th round. If the guy fell out of the 2nd, I'd be shocked.

There are very few of us who seem to talk about an OT in the first round. I can definetely see it happening, and for good reason.
  15. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I have to agree. Personally, I see LSU players and I start shaking nervously

Peterman
    Skylar Green
    Marcus Spears (although I'm not all that down on him like most)
    David Lafleur

I'm not saying I wouldn't take Glen Dorsey because of it, but call me superstitious, LSU guys just worry me.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    Darn Mike Williams...had me fooled too.:laugh2:
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    This FB I definitely take if I can.
  18. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't believe an ASU alum is saying this, but Hos, I think I'm even higher on your UofA guys than you are in this draft. Maybe I'm just eating crow after calling Nick Folk "Brad Daluiso Jr." when you predicted we'd take him last year.

I know Cason plenty well, and agree with everything you've said. But I think by the time the combine is over, we'll need to take him with our first pick, and that's what I want us to do. He's a low risk, immediate talent upgrade in the secondary. Conversely, if I'm drafting a left tackle, with my first pick, I want to already be sure he can play left tackle.

I don't know enough about Hardy, but I really think we have a QB that could make an average FA good (Bryant Johnson, Devery Henderson) or a good WR great (Berrian). I really dislike me some TO, but he's going to be around next year. I'd rather find some immediate support.

I think we need to draft a RB with pick 1b or 2, I'm done with JJ and there are a lot of interesting backs slotted there currently. I don't know where Smith will end up being drafted, but I wonder how he'll develop/produce going from 40 carries a game to 4 next year.

I love Larsen and think he'd immediately lead our STs (which desperately need a leader) and eventually find a role in our defense. While we're looking at slow but insanely productive inspirational leaders, I'd also like to grab OLB Kroy Biermann from Montana.
  19. Tyronosaurus77

Tyronosaurus77 Member

465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree once the combine is over with if we want Cason, 22 is where we are going to need to take him. I say we go RB with our pick at 28. I think that we will settle with a FA WR Im hoping that we can get Berrian or B Johnson.

I do think Owen Schmitt would be a great pick up, he is a tough player and "old school" some would say. He has shown the ability to break a big run and good hands out of the backfield. He plays hard and has a real passion for the game, the cowboys need someone like him.
  20. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree completely on the first part. We will be fortunate if he is there at 22. I would like a speed back like Johnson or Jones at 28, but could live with Jamal Charles in the 2nd as well. I would rather we have taken Crayton's money and add a bit to it and get B Johnson.

I disagree on the second, I just don't think fullback is an impact position anymore and could be better filled through a cheap free agent rather than spending a late 1st day or early 2nd day pick.