1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Jun 18, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,721 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Link

House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries
    Wednesday, Jun. 18 2008

Urgent: House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries

Per Pergram-Capitol Hill

House Democrats responded to President's Bush's call for Congress to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling. This was at an on-camera press conference fed back live.

Among other things, the Democrats called for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply.

They also reasserted that the reason the Appropriations Committee markup (where the vote on the amendment to lift the ban) was cancelled so they could focus on preparing the supplemental Iraq spending bill for tomorrow.

At an off-camera briefing, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said the same. And a senior Republican House Appropriations Committee aide adds that "there were multiple reasons for the postponement" including discussion on the supplemental. But the aide said there was the thought that Democrats may wish to avoid a debate today on energy amendments.

Here are the highlights from briefing

Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), member of the House Appropriations Committee and one of the most-ardent opponents of off-shore drilling

We (the government) should own the refineries. Then we can control how much gets out into the market.

Hinchey on why they postponed the Appropriations markup

I think there aren't enough votes for the Peterson amendment. It wasn't taken up (the Interior spending bill) because of the omnibus Appropriations bill. That's the main focus of the Appropriations Committee.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL)

They (Republicans) have a one-trick pony approach.

Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV), Chairman of the Resources Committee

You cannot drill your way out of this.

Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA), chairman of the House Select Committee on Global Warming

The White House has become a ventriloquist for the oil and gas energy. The finger should be directed back at them. They had plenty of opportunity to (arrange an energy policy). But they did not put an energy policy in place.

Markey

The governors of California and the governors of Florida are going to scream this is not the way to go.

Hinchey

There are a lot of arrows in the President's quiver that he decided not use.

Hinchey

What we do has to be in the interest of the American people. Not major corporations.

Emanuel

It's like when I talk to my kids. Before we're going to talk about dessert, we've got to talk about what's on your plate. I hope I'm a little more successful with the oil industry than I am with my kids.

Markey7

There are so many red herrings out there they might as well construct an aquarium.

From House Majoirity Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) when I asked him if the markup was cancelled because of potential Democratic defections on the Peterson amendment..

"No. The reason the markups aren't going through is because we're trying to get the supplemental on the floor tomorrow."

Andfrom a Senior Republican House Appropriations Aide..

"There were multiple reasons for the postponement including ongoing negotiations on the (supplemental) and a (Democratic) wish to avoid debate and votes on the energy amendments.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good Lord! Now the Dems wat the government to control the refineries. Has there ever been anything they got a hold of that they didn't screw up? Why not let the ones who are experts in this do it and lift the restrictions on refineries. Then I wouldn't have to foot the bill via my taxes to operate them.

These people are freakin' out of their minds. I hope America is paying attention to what the democratic agenda is trying to do to them.
  3. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    See what I'm saying?
    These clowns think they know what's good for us and what is not.
  5. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    House Democrats are retards.
  6. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,678 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    If they nationalize the refineries,will they build more of them,or expand existing facilities? Will they reduce the number of grades that refineries are required to make? If so,I say let 'em nationalize!
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,544 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Hey, congressional idiots... Not oil - healthcare. People rarely die from a lack of gasoline. Unless they're flying in a plane - in which case let's make an abundance of parachutes priority number two.
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great. The federal government can grossly mismanage something else that is extremely important.

Seriously, can you name one program that the government has done a good job running?
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received

He does not care ..... he wants it free.
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For everyone clamoring for immediate relief, this would be the easiest way to lower gas prices. I believe the 10 countries that have the lowest gas prices worldwide all have nationalized oil. They also all have significantly lower ratings on the quality of life index and 9 of the 10 are far below the United States in terms of economic freedom.

Letting the free market operate promotes other freedoms and allows for a higher standard of living. The government should only intervene in a market segment if that market segment is broken or corrupted. I could understand nationalizing a portion of the industry, but the government run oil company could not be larger than any of the current oil companies. Even then I would really only support it as a means for the government to supply itself with oil, that's something I could go along with I guess.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,339 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Maybe they should have allowed more refineries to be built these past 20 years so there would be no bottle neck in 2008.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,339 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Just some trivia for some here.

Exxon is not even a major oil company when you take into account the nationalized beomouths out there. Exxon would be the 14th largest oil compnay in the world. These national companies are currupt beyond comprehension and more powerful than companies like Exxon or Shell could ever dream of having.

These House reps need to do a little research before turning us into Venezuela-North.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I would prefer nothing be Nationalized. Give me back all my Social Security contributions and I guarantee you that when I retire I'd be better off financially than in trusting the Government to care for me in my old age and it would never be threatened either.

I realize that I am punished because some people are too stupid to prepare for their future. That doesn't make it any easiere to have to live with. Anyone with half a brain in their heads could be taught to prepare for retirement. They just have to stick to it.
  14. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Notice how there are no liberal posting fans in this thread.

Suspect doesn't count. I just gloss over his posts. They lower my int level.

I would like to hear what SB has to say on the matter.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    You never see him at a thread that underlines the Liberal stupidity like this except to take shots at the poster.
    Despite report after report showing how bad the US Government is and has been for many years running any important program, these liberals want them running more.
  16. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :waves hands::

what about me, I thought I was liberal lol