1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How about another trade up?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 15, 2012.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    [IMG]

This guy. I know you guys probably think I'm crazy but I think he's going to be damn good. Reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal. Both 6'3, athletic QB's who are pocket passers and can move around the pocket and make plays on the run. Great mechanics and his strongest skill is his accuracy. Mold him behind Romo for 2-3 years, much like Green Bay did with Rodgers and Favre, and he could be one of the best in the league in 3-4 years. Plus, he's Garrett's kind of guy: Classy individual who's a film room junky and has a high football IQ. If the Chiefs pass on him for some reason, Arizona won't and I'd love to see him in Dallas. Trade up and grab him. If you have an opportunity to grab a franchise QB, you do it, no matter what. Draft him, then use the other picks on O-Line/D-Line and sign free agent S Jairus Byrd from Buffalo. That'd be an amazing offseason.
  2. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

885 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Same here. But I wouldn't do it.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,122 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    That's a good point and a good set of players that you named for comparison. Let's review those players in more detail:

Jarvis Jones 6-2, 242

R2-14 LaMarr Woodley 6-2, 266
    R4-29 Elvis Dumervil 6-0, 257
    R6-20 Adalius Thomas 6-2.5, 270
    UDFA James Harrison 6-0, 242

R1-7 Aldon Smith 6-4, 263
    R1-11 DeMarcus Ware 6-4, 251

On a side note, Adalius Thomas was a complete freak.
    6-2.5, 270, 4.56 forty, 1.60 10-yard, 38.5 vert

For comparison, that's better than Mark Barron's 10-yard time of 1.63.
  4. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What other picks? We won't have anything left after trading up.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Didn't Von Miller measure in at 6'2.5?
  6. xwalker

10,122 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    Yes, but they have basically created a special position for him. He is pass-rushing 4-3 OLB, which is very rare.
  7. Manwiththeplan

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    that's not true. Bruce Irvin, Rosevelt Coleman, Derrick Thomas and Peter Boulware are all guys who did the same thing, so Denver didn't create anything.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, 6'2 clearly is big enough to play 3-4 OLB and his production warrants him being taken that high.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    People are way too wrapped up in measurements and ideals. Give me a guy that can play. Dree Brees is about 5-10 (listed at 6-0), I am pretty sure at least 25 teams would take him.
  9. xwalker

10,122 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    My point is that 3-4 teams rarely if ever draft a 6-2 OLB in the top 10. It would be much a safer pick for a 4-3 team to draft J. Jones and play him in a role similar to Von Miller. It seems especially questionable with Bjoern Werner and Damontre Moore available.

Derrick Thomas played in a 3-4 and Bruce Irvin was drafted after Von Miller. The Ravens moved to a 3-4 while Boulware was on the team.

I would have different opinion if we were not talking about the top 10. I was highly in favor of the Cowboys drafting Bruce Irvin last year IF he was available in the 2nd round or even if they had to trade up into the late 1st. I didn't think he was a perfect fit for the Cowboys scheme, but he was a special athlete. Irvin's burst is the best I ever seen.
  10. Manwiththeplan

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Normally, I'm big on measurements.

I'm very skeptical on Chance Warmack because he's only 6'2 and am afraid he measure in at 6'1.5 or something.

However, there are plenty of successful players at Jones' position and height
  11. Manwiththeplan

4,862 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    And 3-4 teams rarely drafted OLBs early in round 1, why because Pittsburgh was the only team that ran it for so long, that they could get first round talented players, who were tweeners in like rounds 4-7. But now that everyone runs it, Pittsburgh once again is ahead of the curve and is taking guys later who are "undersized" but are working out great.

Looked it up, I was wrong on Thomas, but I know Boulware's best years were as a 4-3 OLB. It wasn't till the end of his career that they switched. And Rosevelt Colvin was a pretty good player on the Bears before going to NE (which ran a 3-4).

Like I said in my post to RS12, reguardless of how high they go, we can't argue that the 6'3 and under guys are just as good as the 6'4 and up guys, so I see no reason to knock a guy on height if they fit in with what we see is successful. Now if he were 6'1, I'd be more hesitant and if he were 6'0, I likely wouldn't take him in round 1, but 6'2 is perfectly fine.
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    If there was a top-tier DLineman then I'd do it but there is none. And I don't think an offensive lineman is worth giving up that much for when you can just stay at your normal pick and take someone, especially at RT.
  13. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Will it be possible to trade down for Barrett Jones?

Why has he dropped off?
  14. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wouldn't give a 7th round pick for him.
  15. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    We do not have a 7th rounder this year we gave it to Miami for Ryan Cook. I would not be happy with a trade for him(give me the talented but flawed QB from Vtech in the fourth), especially with the dire needs on the Oline and Dline squeaking each and every game. I would not be elated to trade up this year with all the help we need and the first three rounds being critical to a good draft it does not make sense for the long term health of the team. Last year we upgrade one position defensive backs with the draft and FA, this year we need to significantly improve two of four positions Oline, Dline, Safeties, Olbs and not necessarily in that order. It can be done and I think it takes hitting on some fringe players(like we did with Carter and Sean Lee).
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Gil admitted one of the biggest mistakes we made was when we did not draft Mike Singletary because he was too short
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would trade up for Star Lotulelei though it might be quite expensive to trade up as high as he will probably go and where we will probably end up in the draft.
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Umm. Star Lotulelei
  19. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    i like your thinking, but i would almost bet everything i had that isnt going to happen
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,813 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    Especially seeing that other than maybe ILB, QB may the position we least need to spend a 1st round pick on.

But if either position had a player that was by far the top player on the Cowboys' board fall to them, and they couldn't get a trade, they should take the player anyway.