1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How are we going to address everything?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dantheman41, Jan 15, 2013.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    for the entire team

i figure

1st and 2nd rounders can probably be expected to start
    and 2 FAs max-especially this year

how many new OL STARTERS do we need? 3?
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,054 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    You got 6 draft picks and you have picks from the 2 previous years that should be coming into their own by the 2012-2013 season.

The league is full of parity. This can't be stressed enough. Half of the teams that made the playoffs this year won't make it next season.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Outside of getting some help on the Oline the biggest help to the offense is a defense who can get turnovers.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Well... I think we're going to have to end up relying on Costa regardless.

Livings or Bernadeu will also most likely be a starter.

If we bring in Warmack I could see the OL being

Tyron - Warmack - Costa - Bernadeau - Parnell

We could also go

Tyron - Warmack - Bernadeau/Costa - Leary - Parnell
  5. GloryDaysRBack

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    you think theres even a ray of hope that one draft pick and plugging in parnell turns this OL from crap to a strength?
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,054 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    You asked Catch but I personally do. It will make us better for sure. A "strength"? Its hard to say. But I think you have to expect that with the progress Parnell has shown in such a limited amount of time that you can expect for him to be a lot better right tackle than he was last season. You automatically improve your tackle spot there. Tyron Smith if he keeps progressing should be even better in year 2 as left tackle. Nate Livings is not a bad player in this league. Most teams have linemen of the caliber of Nate Livings on their line.

There are about 5 teams that have offensive line as a "strength". I think we're kidding ourselves if we expect for our line to go from what it was last season to all of a sudden strength. But most importantly this line needs to become more consistent.
  7. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

4,106 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    How would we do it?

Wouldn't be popular (and certainly won't happen), but you trade Romo.

As others have mentioned, by the time this team figures it out and gets up to snuff on OL and 4-3 (if it ever happens), Romo (plus Ware and Witten) will be well past his prime.

Basically as it is right now, we're just riding out the rest of his career with little chance of glory, so why not do something very dramatic?
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Ray of hope? Yes. Because I think Parnell is a pretty good athlete and Leary could be a good player as well.

I wouldn't bet on it but there is some upside with those 2 guys.

I also know nobody is a big Phil Costa fan but the guy did a pretty good job in his limited time this year.

I don't think we should rely on only bringing in 1 guy but the Cowboys probably will :(.

Aaron Rodgers was the most sacked QB in the NFL this year and they were a game away from the NFC Title game :(. I hope the Cowboys aren't thinking like this.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I think it can make a big difference having a dominate left side to run behind. Looking at several lines they are not all pros across the front, having a side that you can count on can make a big difference. Right now even Romo has to have his head on a swivel if you can protect his backside that would be a big help. Realistically I don’t think Dallas is just going to draft 3 or 4 OL players but if they can make a significant improvement in getting a top G to play next to Tyron Smith it could be a big help to the running game and to Romo.
  10. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

990 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Its the point.. although they was sucking they adding pieces to there offensive line. Also san fransico drafted to online players in one draft. We always draft skill players first then try to develop an online player with a 4 th rd or 7 th rd pick. How about the year we gave up those picks for Roy Williams? We should have drafter 2 line players that year.. Michael Oher and Max Hunger.. The truth is we didn't ... Heck going into that draft we was loaded with back end picks. We still didn't go into the draft and get 1 guy we wanted. We traded down into the 3 red round and miss out on guys like Vollmer,Loadholt, Unger...

All these players was drafted while we was sitting in the 20's each round.
  11. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,826 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    we need ATLEAST 2 OL and 2 DL, plus a Safety.... those are our glaring weaknesses, sounds easy but its not....thats 5 new starters!!

as far as a QB, if we extend Romo then you shouldnt draft a QB before round 3. i do feel that it is a need position, something needs to get in place now, so that we dont go through what we went through after Aikman.

TE= in our situation Witten and Hanna are clearly 1 and 2, so if Phillips isnt resigned, a late rounder would be ok, or veteran cut could be servicable

RB= i get the feeling Felix will re-sign with us, i dont think if he hits the market he is gonna strike a huge deal with anyone. RB's are a dime a dozen imo

WR= Miles will re-structure, Harris came on last year, you still have Coale, Beasley, and others for depth. i dont think WR is a need at all.

FB= was not on your list, but if a good one happens to fall late in the draft, i wouldnt be opposed to it.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    O line needs a guard and a center
    D line needs at least a DT- if Spencer goes a DE as well
    Safety- I think the boys will gamble on Church and Johnson - may take another late in the draft

QB- joke- go with what we have especially looking at this poor crop of QBs this season

RB- dime a dozen

TE- no need

WR- go with what we have
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,469 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    i agree...but i pray we add a safety
  14. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,139 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Still a problem at RT. Free and Parnell stink.

Agreed. Need depth here as well, most good 4-3 DLines have a solid rotation.

I think that would be nuts. Church is coming off major injury and Johnson is a 4th round pick who still hasn't had an NFL snap.

Can we stop treating this position like it doesn't exist? Or that we can just grab any ol schlub in the 4th round and trot him out there as a starter and everything will be fine?

I'm ready to replace McGee in the developmental slot, but this may not be the year to do it.

Want Ogletree gone and Harris in the slot. In a normal year would like to get someone to push Austin, but this year I think we are stuck.