1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

How Bad Have Tony Romo's Defenses Been?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Apr 10, 2014.

1. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,925 Messages
    1,926 Likes Received
    Don't remember all the specifics but do remember us winning on last second long range FG? The 4 first half TOs by TR. It was kind've one of those, aww no, "he was too good to be true" moments for fans after throwing those early picks. Then the second half magic...by next morning we were all Romo fans.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

27,090 Messages
    4,547 Likes Received
    What else?
    I could see a legit debate about the head coach brewing....
  3. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

28,926 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    Ok, the dead horse had some words right before he passed on. He said, and I quote, "Tony Romo has thrown some of the worst INT's in Dallas cowboys history" .... "Furthermore, the defense was on the sidelines when these occurrences happened"

"Understand?"

Then he croaked!
  4. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

5,042 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    Perhaps we should have asked the horse before he expired if he had ever seen a "good" interception. :)
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,241 Messages
    2,262 Likes Received
    Well there's that, but I think the offense is significantly flawed and not nearly as superior to the defense as a lot of people think.

Its not like this offense has carried this team to a bunch of 41-35 wins or anything like that, and its guilty of completely sputtering nearly as often as the defense.
  6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

3,077 Messages
    2,085 Likes Received
    If you have a chart with all of them, I'd love to see it. I'm sure they've all have had better defenses then Romo, but if I had to guess which has had a defense similar to Romo's, then I'd guess Philip Rivers.

I'd guess the defensive rankings would average as (best to worst) - Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Romo

Show me how wrong I am :p
  7. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,925 Messages
    1,926 Likes Received
    So very very true. The numbers were good, but the live action events would tell you something completely different than the stat book. There were games where the O couldn't produce ANYTHING until desperation time or Dez time to be more accurate. There were also the two games where this team couldn't get first downs to finish a team that was blown out by the half ;) The numbers showed a strong, consistent offense, when they were hardly reliable to do anything consistently from a week to week basis ( and not because of the opposing D). Run well one week, not even attempt it the following. Moving Dez around works (last few games of the season), who would've thunk it?
  8. REDVOLUTION

28,926 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    Oh he did mention them too... They are the ones thrown during the game where there is still time to recover from their damage lol
    nake likes this.
  9. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Another dead horse and sore subject: article says Eli should get more credit for his own feats... Just saying... His d wasn't much better. BTW no not a big fan but don't mind giving respect where it's due.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

27,090 Messages
    4,547 Likes Received
    They did have some issues at times last year, but looking forward into the upcoming season, I think the offense should be very good.

It'd be nice to see us upgrade at least one of the Guard spots and maybe add some better oline depth. A good FB, backup RB, and 3rd or 4th WR would help too. We started turning the corner with Murray and Williams later last year. And though I didn't at all like us burning last year's 2nd rounder on Escobar, I think he'll play a decent role in 2014. Barring a setback in Romo of course. I think Dez and Smith are hitting their primes, Freddy is on the rise, Witten is Witten (but Escobar will help some there if he regresses). Linehan is an upgrade too, imo.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  11. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    dstovall5 likes this.
  12. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

3,355 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    since you used a baseball analogy, I would move him to the NL so he could help his own cause....

but romo hasn't been without fault himself.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

57,641 Messages
    9,812 Likes Received
    The biggest flaw is the play calling. Even with that, they are light years ahead of the defense.
  14. REDVOLUTION

28,926 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    You gotta give Eli his due. Defense or not. He didn't blow the games in playoffs... Superbowls.

Not picking on Romo. I am a supporter... But right now... "It is what it is.... He is what he is"

That can all change.

Remember Tiki picking on Eli... His response was 2 SB MVPs biotch!
  15. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,374 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    And almost cheated themselves into a win again when Jauron was able to pull off the timeout at the end to make Folk kick the game winner twice.
    Wayne02 and BigStar like this.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,241 Messages
    2,262 Likes Received
    You don't have debacles like we saw against Chicago, NO, KC, and even Detroit with playcalling being the only issue. Execution left a LOT to be desired at times, and that was across the board. Romo, the WRs, Oline all had moments when they were just flat out bad.
    BigStar likes this.
  17. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Agreed. But he needs help, like all QBs do.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,241 Messages
    2,262 Likes Received
    never would have gotten to that point if he didn't idiotically try to kick the FG at the end of the first half or throw that pass on 3rd and goal (I think) that got picked off by Newman. Stop the Cowboys from getting three and get three of your own, dallas probably loses.
  19. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    But he certainly tried! Remember the pass right through Asante Samuel's hands just seconds before the miraculous, once-in-a-generation catch by David Tyree.

My guess is if that had been Romo, Samuel doesn't drop a sure interception, and NO dallas receiver catches a wounded-duck prayer like Tyree.

Being lucky beats being good every day of the week and twice (or more) on Sunday.

Monte Sliger
    dstovall5 likes this.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

57,641 Messages
    9,812 Likes Received
    I won't disagree with that. At times we seem completely out of sync and incapable of even getting two or three 1st downs in one series. When that happens I always wish we had a dominant running game to fall back on. Instead it's pass, pass and pass some more. Murray ends up with 8 or 9 rushing attempts and Cowboy Nation can only shrug their shoulders.