1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How Cowboys get down to $104 million - Norm Hitzges

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 31, 2013.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    They are at $140 million right now, according to him.

Re-work

Ware, Tony, Carr (trigger-clause), Miles, Witten

June 1st Cuts

Doug Free, Jay Ratliff, Dan Connor

Claims we have room to go after 2 primo free agents if we WANT TO (been saying this all along).

What do you think?
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    2,344 Likes Received
    And how much does this screw us cap-wise down the road?

I'm for it because I think the time to act with this group is now. But I don't want to be 2-14 with no cap space four years from now either.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The time is meow.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I still think Ratliff is staying.

That said, I do think we can make plenty if room if we want. That would not constrain us. The question is how much of future room does the team want to mortagage?
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If Ratliff stays on this team, I will strongly consider not watching next season.
  6. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    with those cuts, it means one of the FAs has to be a DT. as right now we don't have one.

and then one would need to be an OL man...

then the draft is focused on OL and DL....
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    2,344 Likes Received
    Shoot, a little drinking and driving? To our boozin' owner?

Jerry calls that Tuesday.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You're right. We shouldn't capitalize on a potential upgrade through free agency because we can get the same positions through the draft. :confused:
  9. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,254 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    lol... would it really shock you if he stays? We have players show up out of shape and can't pass a basic fitness test and have to jog around the practice field. We are known for holding on to players who are cancers here.
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't think Norm realizes that all or most of Ratliff's $5m+ salary is g-jack. He would have to kill Jerry Jr. with a flock of angry, poisonous butterflies to get cut.
  11. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,951 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    This team isn't two primo players away from competing for a Superbowl..
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    There is still a draft after free agency.
  13. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,911 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I always hear about 'restructuring' player (insert-name's) contract. Why would a player do that? Why would a player agree to a backloaded deal when the team could then just cut him and avoid paying him? Sounds like the players get hosed on those types of deals.

Please someone educate me if I'm wrong.
  14. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Short answer: They get the money eventually.
  15. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

752 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Ratliff is most likely staying. We are already thin at DT. I don't mind as long as we address the oline this off season (Livings/Bernadeau don't count)
  16. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I thought restructure means that some of their money this year is turned into a roster bonus or something and thus doesnt count towards the cap. in short, they'd get more of the money from later on down the road now instead of later. Definitely could be wrong though.
  17. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    They get their money now instead of later. They get their payout as a bonus that will count against the cap in future years.

That said, I can't see a good reason to keep Ratliffe. His production has been declining for the past 3 years, and this past season he suffered numerous injuries and was out most of the season. It's not like he is coming back at 2005 levels, he will be a year older this year, and more declining production for a high contract. Only in Dallas do high priced, aging former stars, have a secure job.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,054 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    There is typically no change in cash flow (either in terms of amount or timing) to the player. In fact, it usually means the player gets more guaranteed money.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I don't think anybody has really said that we can't restructure and create room to sign FAs. I think what has been argued is the wisdom behind such a move. The cap is flat for the next few years. If you extend all of these guys, we are going to be in a bad situation in years out. I don't see how that can be a good thing.
  20. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,174 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    You've got it backwards. Restructuring the contract usually means more guaranteed money and more money up-front (bonus money that gets prorated over the life of the contract for cap purposes). Restructuring is usually a no-brainer for the player.