1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How Cowboys get down to $104 million - Norm Hitzges

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Can the Cowboys go the other way and flush as much of the cap as possible -- cut players, etc. to set up the future instead of continually borrowing against it?

I don't understand if we are in year 3 of Garrett's rebuilding plan, why we are borrowing so heavily against the future... I thought a rebuilding plan was to set you up for future success, not tie your hands due to creative accounting.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,473 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    This.

I won't pretend to be a cap expert but that's my concern as well.

It's a tricky issue. On one hand, you want to get your cap straightened out and not mortgage your future. But you also have an aging franchise QB here. He needs some pieces if he's ever gonna win anything.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,828 Likes Received
    I'm still a Rat fan but I'm suspicious of him staying on the field. He needs to be followed closely this offseason monitoring his rehab from surgery amongst the regular things they do. I'm leaning optimisticly if they use him properly and rotate him they can get good production.
  4. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    Skins do it every year. Don't wanna make a habit out of it. But we need to upgrade the oline and dline.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,828 Likes Received
    Yeah maybe even a little slower.
  6. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    Basically what I wanted to say.
  7. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Another question regarding our salary cap position and possible moves... Can the Cowboys think about trading some of these high priced guys to other teams for future draft picks (like New England has done in the past to stock pile picks in future years)?

Trade -- Ratliff and Connor
    Cut/Trade -- Austin, Free, Livings, Bernadeau, Jones

Others???

Does this resolve the cap situation?
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Whether its spencer or a rookie, neither of those guys will be started at DE I wouldn't think.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Trades are treated like straight cuts in cap math. That's why there are so few.
    NE has tended to trade guys int he last year of their deals like Connor AFAIK, and gotten solid return for plus players like Asante Samuel but it really doesn't help the cap much.

Connor really has little value league-wide I'd guess. We could grab a very low pick for him perhaps. Maybe not even that. As teams could probably sign him for less than 3m in 2013.
  10. bounce

bounce Active Member

689 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone is really ever screwed with cap space, anymore. You can always re-work deals to free up space. The Redskins were always supposed to be in "cap hell."
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Does the two include resigning Spencer. I think a good free agency would be Spencer, Byrd or Levitre, no way buffalo let them both walk, and Melton.

Spencer, Melton, and Byrd. Now how much better is this defense.
  12. Risen Star

21,473 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    I can promise you the Redskins wanted to be much more active in free agency than they were last year.

The Cowboys have essentially sat out FA a time or two in the past.

Ya know when the salary cap doesn't matter? When you're a fan of a team that mismanages it so often.
  13. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,254 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Washington had a 18 million cap penalty, and was still one of the most active teams in FA. Mismanagement will always be defined as whether one agrees with the cap moves, or not.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,341 Messages
    958 Likes Received

If those two were on the offensive line we'd have a pretty good shot at contending in the NFC, IMO.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,310 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    I don't think the Sam is on the team right now. Just like the FB from the year before last we cannot count on Sims.
  16. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,029 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    The thing with June cuts, teams can only designate two players and release them early, is that you have to wait until June to use the savings.

Free agency is dead long before June.

And Dallas needs to be under the cap before free agency starts March 12th.

Doug Free might be a June designee, but a straight release works fine for me. Either way, the savings would be more for 2014 than 2013.

Why wait?

I don't believe Jay Ratliff will be cut loose as things stand.

And Dan Connor is in the final year of his contract, so there's no need to designate him as a June release.
  17. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    There is only one person's opinion I care about regarding the Cowboys cap an I have not seen him chime in yet.

****Putting out the bat signal for AdamJT13****
  18. Risen Star

21,473 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    When you're not winning for nearly two decades and routinely way over next season's cap in January, there's mismanagement.

The Cowboys are a mediocre team. 20 million over the cap and 6 draft picks.

That's poor management.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  20. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    I used to have concern about the cap, but I credit Snyder (the only credit he'll ever get from me) for making me realize a few years ago that it really doesn't matter. Teams will use it as an excuse when they don't make a move, but as my sig says, room is subjective based on what the team wants to spend.

There are always creative ways to make space and creative ways to keep making space. Where teams get in trouble, I believe, is when players retire or their careers end while still owed guaranteed money, and that just forces teams to be more creative. Other than that, money can be pushed and pulled around.