1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How Cowboys get down to $104 million - Norm Hitzges

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 31, 2013.

1. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,688 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Does this consider keeping Spencer?
  2. bounce

bounce Active Member

665 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Last year was a penalty - the money wasn't there.

In previous years, when they've been in "cap hell," they've managed to sign Archuleta, Haynesworth, Lloyd, Randle-El, etc. I'm not saying the players were good signings, or they panned out - but they made money available. And those contracts sent them into 'cap hell' again, and they managed to move money and sign more players. Players can move within a salary cap by restructuring.

I'm not defending Dallas's cap situation. They suck at it, and Jerry gives out terrible contracts like they're candy. I'm just saying teams find a way out of bad contracts, and they never really bite teams like you'd think they would.
  3. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yikes, that is putting things in perspective. Sounds even worse when you spell it out like that....

I wonder why no one has asked the Cowboys this question. I would like to hear the answer.
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,301 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    When Romo leaves, we are going to be 2-14 regardless so it really doesnt matter if we mortgage the future at this point.
  5. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Not true. The Cowboys could draft a good young QB (see the many teams that did just that last year). In fact, a good young QB could make Dallas better and change the fortunes for the whole team. So mortgaging our future now for any one player is a dumb thing to do...in fact, it is always a dumb thing to do.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,469 Likes Received
    I hope our front office doesn't think like that.

How about planning for life after Romo? There are future franchise QBs entering the league.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,633 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  8. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,839 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    lol @ that. Yeah, like we would have been 2-14 if we drafted Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Luck, RG3, etc.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    or Jumungous or Heath Shuler or Blaine Gabbert or Colt McCoy or any number of other QB busts over the last 10 years or so.

The hit rate of QBs (and of course its early yet) last year is way above normal.

You can usually expect 30-60% bust rates for QBs.
  10. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,605 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    As long as this happens. I AM GOOD with it !!!