1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how do you feel about athletes being forced to go to school?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,623 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    No, it's not your beliefs that are getting 'passed by.' It's about our society wanting 'everybody to win' all of the time. It doesn't test kids' grit and stick-to-it-iveness because nobody fails anymore. They just keep lowering the bar in hopes of keeping everybody happy.

School wasn't easy for me. But, I really wanted to play sports because I loved playing them. So I got the grades and behaved and was allowed to play sports.

If there is something I have a problem with schooling is them forcing mandatory courses that are really 'peripheral' courses. Stuff like art, foreign languages, home economics, music, etc. I think schools should try their best to get kids interested in those subjects because they may have a passion and talent for them. But, it should be more or less optional than mandatory. However, this rant really doesn't have to do much with the subject at hand.

YR
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    When you see how many high school students can barely read and write, and then how many colleges have to teach remedial classes, the system is failing.

Kids no longer get the grounding in the basics like they should be- there is a reason grades 1-12 were called PRIMARY. But now there is very little pressure on the schools to make sure that their graduates actually deserve to graduate.

And as regards athletes that has been ridiculous for a long time; special treatment and winks and nods as regards school.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    High schools responsibility it not to produce athletes it is to educate kids if a kid can't maintain a passing grade then he can't play. Simple.