1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How do you see the lines shaking out next season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JPostSam, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Outside of Tyron Smith and Phil Costa, I don't care for any of our offensive line starters. And we're thin at the reserves, too. But how many upgrades can we make to the O-line in one offseason?

On the defensive line, I think we're all excited to see what Ware and Spencer (if he re-signs) can do at end. But who backs them up? And who plays inside, as tackles?

If Ratliff and Brent are both gone, the only 300-pounders left on the defense are Hatcher, Lissemore, Callaway and Price. Of those, Hatcher is the only guy who has played well enough to earn a starter's role -- and who knows how well he would do, playing inside all the time?

Tyrone Crawford is a high draft pick but, at 285, wouldn't you have to play him at end? If so, he's a back-up to Ware or Spencer. Ben Bass showed some flashes, but he's also 285. Same deal. And if those guys aren't backing up Ware and Spencer, then who are the back-up defensive ends?

How do you see these lines shaking out season?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,231 Messages
    4,772 Likes Received
    LT - Smith/?
    LG - Draft Pick/Leary
    OC - Costa or Kowalski or Bernadeau (Draft pick as top backup)
    RG - Veteran Livings or Bernadeau or Brandon Moore (Jets)
    RT - Parnell/?

SDE Crawford, Tyrone
    SDE Bass, Ben
    SDE Igbinosun, Ikponmwosa

1-tech Ratliff, Jay
    1-tech Lissemore, Sean
    1-tech Callaway, Rob

3-tech Hatcher, Jason
    3-tech Price, Brian

WDE Ware, DeMarcus
    WDE/SDE Taylor, Monte

Sofa Spears, Marcus
    RFA Schaefering, Brian
    Jail Brent, Josh

WLB Carter
    MLB Lee
    SLB ? Maybe Ernie Sims

? DE/LB Albright, Alex
    ? DE/LB Wilber, Kyle
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,620 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Rat's not going anywhere. Both Crawford and Bass can play either DT or the SDE. (Hatcher also) It will depend where Kiffin decides to put them and they will bulk up if necessary.
  4. JPostSam

1,004 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    so, ratliff stays and spencer walks.

i can just imagine how that works out for us over the next few years.

:(
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Despite what many believe, they can't afford Spencer. Last year Spencer wanted Ware-type money. He put forth the effort and had his best season. I expect his asking price has went up. Too much money for a player that has said he hasn't given an all-out effort at times IMO. They could sign him, but the money won't be there for players like Dez, Lee and others that will need to be resigned in the next couple of years.

You make a good point about Rat. He is overpayed and he is nothing more than a shell of his former self.
  6. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,235 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I said this last offseason, and I'm saying it again, I really and truly believe we have a very good offensive line already on the roster. Injuries kicked our butts last offseason, OTAs, training camp and it carried thru the season.

I'm betting that we have shook the injury bug, and that our OL will come together with what we already have on the roster, maybe we add an FA or Draftee, but I believe we have a very good OL already on the roster, and some good reserves.

This season past season will be looked back on as the begining, and beat writers will point to different things during this past season as positives, that built the OL we will have.
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,316 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    There may be improvement but people will still complain and compare us to other teams....
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,435 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    ya lost me at Phil Costa...

other than Tyron and maybe one of the guards they should get all new starters.
  9. JPostSam

1,004 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    that was really mostly the team's stated enthusiasm over his potential and play when healthy. it just seems that they're sticking with him, so i assumed he'd be there next season.
  10. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

968 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    YIKES......Since you put it this way, that looks scary to figure out.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    wow you really are out there thinking the jags we have on the O line can do that
  12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,941 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    This is what I want to shape up line. From Evan Silva @evansilva on Twitter
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    OL - Smith/Livings/Costa/Berny/Parnell - top back-up, second round pick - Barrett Jones

DL - Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/Crawford - top back-up , first round pick - Sylvester Williams

don't think either rookie starts the year
  14. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Active Member

240 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I say we patch it together with a few more scrubs this season and keep Romo on the run until he gets plastered in the backfield with another injury. Why break with tradition?