How far in front of a person do you have to be before you no longer hold the door?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CanadianCowboysFan, Sep 11, 2012.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

16,053 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Here's a question, how far in front of a person do you have to be before you no longer have to hold a door for him/her?
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

70,267 Messages
    11,702 Likes Received
    Made this a separate thread, because it didn't really belong in the other thread.
  3. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty far in front unless I'm in a hurry. Most of the time I hold it for at least a few seconds.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Winter is Coming Staff Member

64,117 Messages
    7,966 Likes Received
    The real question is how far in front of a person do you have to be in order to slam the door closed enough to scare the person but without hitting them.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,788 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    Especially if eye contact has been made...
  6. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    If it's a guy, .. I'll push the door open and keep walking, .. if he makes it in time, then good.

But if it is a girl or an elderly person I will hold it longer than I need to most times.

Why not go the extra mile if it means helping someone, or just being nice.
  7. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Far enough not to make it awkward. Usually if its a woman I'll wait a second longer.

I make exceptions for the elderly and people who have their hands full.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,481 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    Far enough where they can't hear me fart.
  9. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,896 Messages
    345 Likes Received
  10. jobberone

jobberone Ginsu Wolverine Minion Staff Member

43,873 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    Should is not the proper word but I hold the door for everyone and speak to them as well. Make the day better than you found it.
  11. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,880 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    But what if the day was going good until some random stranger forced conversatino upon you during your private thought collection while you walked through a door and ruined a perfectly summed up thought that you had?

then you ruined a perfectly good day, and made the day worse then you found it and the world must cease to exist. That's what
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

6,549 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    There are many factors in this decision!

* Am I in a hurry?
    * Am I outside and it is hot/cold/rainy/snowy/etc?
    * Did I make eye contact?
    * Is she hot?
    * Is whoever coming someone I abhor?
    * Are they trying to rush me? If so I slam door in their face?

these are just some off the top of my head :)
  13. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,481 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    I never realized there was a precedent for courtesy.
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

4,892 Messages
    1,586 Likes Received
    Not so far that they feel compelled to speed up. At that point, a courtesy has become a burden.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

8,903 Messages
    3,785 Likes Received
    This is something we inherit from our parents early on called common courtesy and manners. If someone was not raised to abide by these "door" rules, then chances are they would not as an adult IMO. I wrote a paper in sociology in college about human's mannerisms, et cetera and found out that simple society gestures relate to one's socioeconomic status, but will not go into that because a lot is speculation and not proven.

For me, I always hold the door if they are within 20ft or so and longer if it is a female or an elderly person. We usually know when entering doors if someone is close and coming our way, so I will give a final assessment of the situation and abide accordingly.

If I spot someone wearing Cowboys or Mets gear, then I definitely wait. On the flipside, if I see the enemy (Skins, Giants or anything Philly related), I hurry up inside and ignore them, might even try to lock it :)
  16. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

8,289 Messages
    3,930 Likes Received
    The answer to this question depends on where you live.

I noticed in Texas people are far more considerate in this area.

In the northeast if you hold the door, people might consider you a doorman and a line will just keep walking thru and nobody else takes over.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

23,277 Messages
    2,824 Likes Received
    Yeah, but you're a greeter, what about the rest of us?

18. phillycard

phillycard Member

669 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    The worst is whan you go out of your way to stay or comeback and hold it, and the person doesn't so much as look your way. If I acted out the way I thought at that particular moment, there'd be a lot of gashes in the back of people's heads.
  19. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,375 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    We had to observe this practice in sociology, it is funny how different people react and behave in this situation. Some of the women in our class from other countries are slightly offended by the practice because to them it is equivalent to a man saying to them that they are too weak to open the door so I need to hold this door for you.

I usually hold the door for most people regardless of gender if the situation is appropriate. Example, I won't hold it if I am part of a group/line of people going in because it would be awkward to stop the line and try to get to the side of the door to hold it without impeding progress. Other times if it is a guy behind me in an informal setting like school I'll go through first and hold the door until he gets close enough to catch the door.

Another question is if you get stuck holding the door longer than you intended to without a break in the crowd in sight, how long until you just step in front of someone and let everybody else get their own door?
  20. iceberg

iceberg winter??? RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!! Zone Supporter

29,687 Messages
    2,583 Likes Received
    how big are her.... um.... tracks of land??? : )

like others have said, eye contact, hold longer.
    lady, a little longer regardless of how much "land" she has.
    and elderly person, however long it takes.

otherwise i just try to be polite and wonder how close i have to be for them to hold it open for this old fat dude with HUGE tracks of land.