1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How far we really are

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Jan 21, 2013.

1. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

11,811 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    Just curious.

Does anybody thing that the 2012 Dallas Cowboys could have beaten any of the 4 teams that played Sunday for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

I am beginning to think that we are not playoff material (as of the last game of our season) but instead are competitive only among the 8-8 teams of the NFL.

If anybody thinks we could have kept up with the 49ers, Falcons, Ravens or Patriots, pls speak up. I would be interested as to why.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    With all the injuries they had at the end of the yr no. If they were healthy yes. Dallas lost to both BAL and ATL 2 and 6 points.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,147 Messages
    799 Likes Received
    You never know for sure, but I feel pretty sure we would have lost to Seattle in the Wild Card game. Maybe by a large margin.
    All speculation at this point though.
  4. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

11,811 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    I know what you mean about the injuries.
    But i hold to the mantra: Ever body has injuries. Look at the Patriots.
    I just think that overall, even if 100% healthy, we are still very, very far away from being playoff contenders.

And that, to this lad who slumped on the floor (luckily I did not hurt mah face) when the 49ers made "The Catch" and threw a kolache against the wall when Jackie Smith dropped that ball, is depressing.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    With Jerry running the team I'm shocked we won 1 game
  6. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    At the end of this year, NO, not with the injuries we had. The team that faced Washington was not a playoff team. However, if we are healthy, I think we can play with anyone. Every team gets injuries, true, but not many can over come the amount of starters we had out this year, esp. up the middle on D. I think we have some work to do for sure, but not that far from being one of the best teams in the league.
  7. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,313 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    It's not about beating a team or coming close in a particular game, it's about consistency.
  8. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,105 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    If I was a Browns fan, making the playoffs would be huge.

If I were a Chiefs fan, making the playoffs would be huge.

If I were a fan of many of the other NFL teams . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But I am a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

Unless we are a serious contender to hoist the Lombardi, we are a miles away.

We are far away!
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,172 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    playing your best at the end of the year has not been something we have done since the 90's.

THAT is the difference
  10. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,381 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Too many injuries for sure. But it should not be an excuse.

The Pats were right there...depth, and talent evaluation for what you do.

Redskins have one great OL player. They have a mobile QB, and a solid RB (sound familiar?). One of the best teams rushing the ball, and one of the best list of talent...that means nothing come game day if you are not prepared and don't execute.

Both teams screwed up in recent years and the whole cap hit thing gets me angry. Both teams should be solid with the potential talent they have...but it comes back to evaluations.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,866 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    How far are we off from being playoff material? Not far.

Superbowl material? Never with Garrett's offense.. His offense is built for defenses to dictate and that is exactly what they will do against us.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I said it earlier in the year and I think it was a pretty good description that this team is the equivalent of a 1930's burlesque dancer.

They show a little bit, then take it away. Show a little bit and take it away. It is just what they were. A fan dancer. Played good, then blow it at the end. Play lousy then win at the end against a poorer team. We never were, even at our peak this year, (whenever that was) good enough to be in the same league as the four teams playing this past Sunday even though we played them close.

The post season is a whole different animal. This teams do or die games record over the last several seasons proves that.
  13. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

508 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    :bow: Amen!! Consistency breeds confidence which opens up all kinds of doors to success.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    And i hear that, but nobody had the amount of injuries Dallas had. NOBODY not even close. Dallas basically had an entire defense hurt at the end of the yr.

only starters on def who werent hurt.

Spencer, hatcher, Carr and MO. The rest were all out of hurt. Ware and Sense played thru their injuries.
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    New england is as consistent as they get. And it just proves that any day any team can win. Going into the game nobody gave baltimore a chance.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,041 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    You're one of my favorite posters on this forum, but this is just plain silly.

6 of the last 8 years and 4 years in a row the Washington Redskins occupied the basement in the NFC East. They climbed out on 4 legs, Morris and Griffin.

Can they maintain it? That's left to be answered, but in today's NFL where parity reigns fortunes are turned on a dime.

Miles away? We were 2 feet left and a fingertip away from being right there. If our OL could have blocked our QB might not have lobbed passed us right out of the NFC East crown. We played every game to the end. If we get our injured players back and make the adjustments we know are needed this team can scare the hell out of anyone.

It isn't always as bleak as "miles away."
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    Theyre running a offense that teams just didnt have the film to figure out yet. Next yr all these option pistol offenses will come back to earth.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,041 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    I am pretty sure you are exactly right. I saw this same type thing with the 46 Defense, the Wildcat, and the Run and Shoot.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,959 Messages
    4,133 Likes Received
    The Redskins have one of the best lists of talent? Is that what you're trying to sell me?
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

7,503 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    Especially this pistol offense the niners are using.