1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how good is Barron?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rafaelgreco, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rafaelgreco

rafaelgreco Member

75 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've seen in a lot of mocks that we are takeing him :confused:
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,772 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Plug and play starter that gives an instant upgrade over 2011 and will lead the secondary (both figuratively and in terms of INTs) for the next 10 years. He's the ideal SS for today's NFL, but can play either position.

Or he could not pan out and suck. The draft is a crapshoot.
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Build up my hopes, then slam them down.

:D
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    A little slow in the 40, Barron is a Strong Safety type. Sees the field well and is a willing tackler. Whiffs on some angles and can be toasted by the long pass. Should be able to contribute immediately if healthy.
  5. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This sounds like Texas Toast ver. 2.0
  6. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,484 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Gonna be honest, I think he is a notch above how I felt about Brodney Pool when he was entering the draft, difference is I was not thinking about Pool with a 1st or top half first pick. I think he will be above average in the NFL, but the hype makes him seem to be a very special player.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,772 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    That guy's clueless about Barron, so I wouldn't take anything he says in this or any other thread seriously. At least I think that's the case -- sometimes I get screen names mixed up. :D
  8. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

Pot meet Kettle or Pot Meat Kettle... mmmmm.
  9. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,484 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He reminds me of Sean Taylor but more of a leader and better ball skills imo
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,430 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    His view on Barron is severely flawed IMO.

The draft is not an exact science but consensus is he's legit.

Fantastic instincts and study habits.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

Barron also has a Double Hernia, though some do not consider this a serious problem it often is a re occurring event.

He also had a torn pectoral in 2010 and a chest injury in 2011.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,754 Messages
    2,053 Likes Received
    I like Barron but feel uneasy about taking him at 14. Taking him in a trade out of 14 to 20's would be perfect.
  13. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    And, he continued to play through the injuries (I believe he only missed 1 game in college). Tough guy and a leader. I think him at SS makes Sensy even better at FS - he doesn't have to think as much, just run around.
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    He will not make it to the 20's.

Multiple sources say he is top 10 talent in this draft. Eagles, Jets, Cincy, Bears all love him.

He may not make it to 14.

Our secondary sucks...period. He is better than both Pool, Sensy, Church... we need help bad.
  15. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Late risers in a NFL Draft, especially with only a couple of weeks left in the process, should certainly be scrutinized.

It doesn't matter how tough you are or how talented, health issues and potential health issues over ride everything... especially at a pro level.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,754 Messages
    2,053 Likes Received
    He may not make it to 20 then again he may not. I see a lot of people claiming certain guys are not going to be there at 14. I don't dislike him and would not have a hissy fit if Dallas did take him at 14 I'm just uneasy taking him at 14. As for being better than all of the other safeties on the team that is not a selling point when talking about a draft pick, Harrison Smith may be better than Pool, Sensy and Church but I would not take him at 14
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    He is not the player I would want us to take at 14 if I had my choice but I would not be upset over it either. I get the feeling that maybe a few fans are not excited about this player, perhaps because they view him as Roy Williams part 2. I will tell you that I never loved the Roy Williams pick but I would like this pick much better. Barron is not Roy. Roy was a guy who made a lot of big plays in College using a scheme that was designed for him to make lots of plays. I was never really in love with Roy's ability to cover. Barron is a guy who has played well in different schemes but a guy who has played well in Pro Schemes and that's the big difference to me. What he has done at Alabama is the same kind of scheme he will be playing in the NFL.

Cox would be my choice in the 1st round but I would not be unhappy if we elected to take Barron. We have already added Carr, if we added a guy like Barron, and if Jenkins can ever get his shoulder right, I think we could start seeing a pretty good tackling secondary. He would be a very good addition, IMO, to our defense.
  18. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,400 Messages
    2,124 Likes Received
    He is a good, solid safety but he is not to the level of Earl Thomas.

In other words, he is good, but not great.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    He's a better all around safety then Thomas IMO. Thomas is light and while that probably helps him in pass coverage, he will get run over in the running game. I love Thomas but I don't think you can say he's better. I think you can say that he is probably a better fit at FS then Barron would be but you can also say that Barron would be a much better fit at SS.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,851 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    The truth is that no one really knows. He was a key cog in the NCAA's best defense, which was a pro style scheme. He's proven he's more athletic than given credit for, even if he doesn't run a 4.3 and he's proven to be both smart and instinctual. Those are all positive things.

How that translates to the pros is anyone's guess. I don't know if he'll be able to make game changing plays like some of the guys that get a lot of press, but it sure seems like he can bring stability to a position we've played musical chairs with since Roy Williams was sent packing.

Well to begin with, they don't play the same position and secondly Thomas has not proven to be "great" yet either. Thomas does get the edge though because we've actually seen him play against NFL talent.

In my point, no one that has yet to play a down of pro football can be considered better than even the worst NFL starter. You have to prove it.