1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how good is Barron?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rafaelgreco, Apr 19, 2012.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    How good is any player really? It's all just a guessing game. People on this board are saying DeCastro is going to make the Pro Bowl as a rookie (which Mike Munchak, Larry Allen and Steve Hutchinson couldn't do), and as far as I know I don't think he ever squared off against an NFL caliber defensive tackle in college.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I don't predict pro bowls but he's faced several DT's that will be and are in the NFL just like Barron has faced receivers and QB's that are and will be in the NFL.

That's different than playing on an actual NFL team and having to do it day in and day out though.
  3. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think it is alot more difficult to find an elite free safety than an elite strong safety.

If you gave me a choice, I'd take Thomas every time, especially with the Redskins going to alot of 3 wide stuff, the Eagles rarely playing with a fullback and the Giant run game a shell of itself.

To win the NFC you have to go through elite passing offenses with not much run game and Thomas is the better player to help do that, but he ain't in the draft.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Who? Last year the only player he squared off against that even gets an training camp invite would be Ta'amu, and they rarely went head to head.

In the last 3 years the SEC has produced AJ Green, Randall Cobb, Denarius Moore, Rueben Randle, Brandon LeFell, Riley Cooper, Joe Adams, Greg Childs and Alshon Jeffrey at WR and Aaron Hernandez and Orson Charles at TE. I'm going to say Barron is a little more familiar with NFL caliber competition. Not to mention he faced off against Julio Jones and Brad Smelley every day in practice.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Very good point. I would not take Thomas over Barron, only because I think Barron's ability to cover and play center field is better then Thomas' ability to be an in the box safety. I think Barron is probably going to end up being better at both then Thomas will be. This lessons the chance of an opposing OC isolating him IMO. The other very strong reason would be because I believe that Barron will be much better at calling the defenses and actually being that Coach on the field type player that I believe Dallas sorely needs on defense. I see him as much more of a Ronnie Lott type player then an Ed Reed but either way, I think he can help our defense.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    You're thinking too short term. He's been a starter since 2009, do the research yourself. :laugh2:

I'm not arguing Barron vs DeCastro, I'm saying your statement that he's never faced an NFL caliber tackle is false.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

Iman hates DeCastro. Any chance he gets he runs him down.
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    The only dt's he played that are in the NFL or are high draft picks this year are Gerald McCoy, Brian Price as a freshman and Stephen Paea and Almeda Taamu.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,779 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    How many NFL quality OTs did Ware face in college? Sometimes you can either see talent or you can't.
  10. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received