1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much money would you need to be happy?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    THere is a saying.... "Money doesn't buy happiness, but it will buy the kind of misery I want to have for a while."

I think optimally, the number is $4M USD. At a modest 3% interest per year, you can comfortably live & travel on $120K per year, and not touch your principal. Then you can leave your kids a nice trust that will trickle money to them once they get to be a certain age - enough to keep them off the streets, but not enough to keep them from having their own career.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,723 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    The moral of the story is, get a Savings Account and pay you first. It could only be $5.00 a month. Maybe $7.00, if you can afford it. ;)

Because chances are not good that we just have all that money thrown our way. Pay yourself first, then worry about the bills.
  3. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,138 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    Yep, purchase stock with good dividend yeild, and then dividend reinvest on all stock, find good bonds (4-5% interest), get a Roth IRA.

Pay yourself whenever possible.

It may not be much, but it all adds up.
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,935 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I think it's better to pay off your car, keep making a payment to savings for your next car and when you are ready trade in you car and pay cash for a reliable pre owned certified car like a Honda. The depreciation on cars is terrible.
  5. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,935 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I'm not arguing with you but almost all of the things that make me happy are free or very cheap.
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Money doesn't buy happiness...but it will buy you a yacht to sail right up to it.

20 billion for me....no, seriously.
  7. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,463 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I would rather have great friends.

That means I would have to give up this site though.