1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How the best QBs stack up

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JPostSam, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    take their career numbers as starters over a 16-game season, and this is what you get.

rodgers and brady are playing on a level above everyone who's ever lived...

romo, peyton manning and brees are like elite triplets, almost indistinguishable from one another...

then, there's a third tier of good quarterbacks...

(i included ryan, schaub's numbers from houston, and flacco just to round this out. younger players don't have enough of a track record yet.)

QB COM ATT PCT YDS AVG TDs INTS

Rodgers 328 500 65.7 4,056 8.11 32 9
    Brady 343 528 63.8 4,047 7.52 30 11
    Romo 357 551 64.8 4,390 7.97 30 15
    Peyton 363 557 65.2 4,246 7.62 31 15
    Brees 379 578 65.6 4,309 7.46 30 15
    Rivers 323 507 63.6 3,977 7.84 27 13
    Ryan 338 539 62.7 3,890 7.22 26 12
    Big Ben 300 475 63.1 3,773 7.95 24 14
    Schaub 346 532 65.0 4,179 7.85 23 13
    Flacco 304 502 59.9 3,564 7.10 21 11
    Eli 306 522 58.6 3,685 7.06 24 17
  2. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Uhm, what?
  3. zeroburrito

zeroburrito Active Member

4,073 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it's a good thing romo didn't get thrown into the fire his first year into the league. may have hurt his stats like peyton and some others.
  4. JPostSam

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    this is what a season would look like for these quarterbacks, based on their career numbers averaged out over 16 games.

not complicated.
  5. JPostSam

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    you can make an argument that sitting and learning helps quarterbacks.

rodgers sat for 3 years.

brady sat for more than a year.

i didn't include schaub's stats from atlanta, which improves his averages in the above comparison.

but you can also make an argument that sitting for a long time stunts a quarterback's growth.

before romo entered the second half of the giants game in 2006, he had sat for 2 whole seaons. he had only thrown 2 passes, in garbage time of the previous game.

luck and rg3, among others, seem to have benefited from playing right away.

if you're good, it shows. if you're good for a long time, it shows even more.
  6. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    K I understand now.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Very interesting post, and while I don't love feeding into the stat monster I find it worthy to note that Eli has the most picks of those featured
  8. JPostSam

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    yeah, i know this has been discussed to death here, but i don't think anyone has presented the numbers this way before.

one thing this really shows is how similar eli is to flacco. i think they're pretty much the same quarterback. they also play on similar teams. when they have succeeded, they have had strong running games and strong defenses. (they're a lot like the bill parcells giants teams, actually.) despite that, the quarterbacks have gotten the lion's share of the credit for those teams.

you can infer the inverse of that, of course.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Romo admitted he was not ready to start before 2006. He needed that time.

Now some need time and some do not. It really depends on the player

I would argue that some QBs got ruined by playing them too early.

Harrington and Carr

Though Carr was ruined by getting sacked 250 times in 4 years.

I think Harrington if given a year or so on the bench to study things might have made a good QB
  10. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,347 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I think Romo and Brees are comparable, but they've both got strengths the other doesn't have. Romo can make plays you don't think exist and Brees makes throws that nobody else makes.
  11. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

860 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Alot depends on the pieces around the QB as well. Seattle was respectable last year without Wilson. Indianapolis made the playoffs just 2 years ago and play in probably the weakest division in the league along with the AFC West. The Redskins are in year 3 of a rebuild - and though last year was 5-11 most games were highly competitive (beat Giants twice), etc.

Comparing the starting situation for these QBs versus that of someone like a Sam Bradford or Brandon Weeden...quite a different tale imo. The jury is still out on those 2 much because they didn't have the supporting cast - though it certainly appears at least the Rams are headed in the right direction.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Peyton has played about 15 years so one season isnt going to tank him.

No doubt he has been the better QB but that's because he has won bigger games. He's also had far more talent around him. The Broncos were a borderline playoff team with Tebow at QB....

Peyton was the big-game choker before Romo got that label. We all know how that has turned out.

Romo is far better than people want to give him credit for being.
  13. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Are these suppose to be in an order of ranking? If so, what category did you use to rank by?
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,427 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    Brees does not do that.

The things that allow Brees to put up numbers are consistency and mastery of his offense. He doesn't have Tony's talent.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,063 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    We could have had Brees ... twice.

First time, had we not thrown away those 2 first round draft picks for Joey Galloway, and wound up with Quincy Carter instead.

Second time, when Brees was a FA and we decided to stick with Drew Bleedslow.

Romo was definitely a gift from heaven.
  16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,419 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Why are we talking about individual stats when this is a team game? He can't accomplish anything without a team. Right?
  17. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,034 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Because it's all we have to compare different players at the same position.

I personally believe Romo's stats would be much better if he had played for Mike McCarthy or Sean Payton the past 5-6 years, but it would be silly for me say it was anything other than a hypothetical exercise.
  18. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,562 Messages
    2,619 Likes Received
    The OP was comparing individuals--not teams.
  19. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,562 Messages
    2,619 Likes Received
    Good question.

The first 4 guys are in the order of their career passer rating, then it gets a little mixed up from there.
  20. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    487 Likes Received

Romo is pacing for Hall of Fame numbers and has the consistency/accuracy of the games best. He needs a ring to go to Canton.